The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

That's embarrassing. Another recolor? Come on, Utah.

agreed.

so, this for the recolor?

Jazz10-11.png

Well, that's interesting. I will admit that I do like that wordmark.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are NBA teams that cash strapped that they can't just pony up the money and really change the :censored: ing primary as opposed to introducing new secondaries ersatz primaries?

Apparently the fines are $1,000,000, if not much more for a team to change their whole identity. Now I don?t know if that?s at any point in time or within a certain window after their last logo update/change.

This is an organization that is paying out goddamn $75 million is player salaries this season. Is it that hard to find another million lying around somewhere? Maybe teams in this league could stop handing out retarded max contracts and start saving some money for branding.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Are NBA teams that cash strapped that they can't just pony up the money and really change the :censored: ing primary as opposed to introducing new secondaries ersatz primaries?

Apparently the fines are $1,000,000, if not much more for a team to change their whole identity. Now I don?t know if that?s at any point in time or within a certain window after their last logo update/change.

This is an organization that is paying out goddamn $75 million is player salaries this season. Is it that hard to find another million lying around somewhere? Maybe teams in this league could stop handing out retarded max contracts and start saving some money for branding.

:grin: I agree completely, but yet I don't exactly how much they're fined/penalized. It really doesn't matter because even though the team can't officially say their secondary logo is their primary, it pretty much will be! My brother works for the Jazz and he wouldn't confirm/deny what the new logo looked like until I showed him proof that I knew what it was. He then explained what their true intentions are, and then he reiterated why they took this route.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I need to apologize to the board and some of its members for my ?bull headedness? earlier in the week. I didn?t want to believe the new note logo didn?t involve the ?UTAH? script, and I hated the fact that the ball could be fully divided, but these features have grown on me, and I can say that yes, the note logo was correct in the watch photos.

Does anybody know the reason behind this moronic policy?

the old note logo is a classic, all they had to do was modernize it a bit and they would have been set for a long long time.

Trust me, they've done what they had to in order to make the new uniforms dope! As a Jazz fan, I'M VERY PROUD!!! :D

I'm telling you, that recolor isn't accurate.

It's not the fact that it's accurate or not.

It's the fact that the Jazz took a "meh" logo and are going to recolor it for the second time, while adding their other retro logo as a secondary taht is actually going to be used as the primary, and that secondary/primary has more actual ties to its original location than its current one.

It's just straight dumb.

The Jazz are arguably the most aesthetically/brand confused franchise in sports.

Are they blue/green music notes? are they purple mountains majesty? are they blue mountain? are they blue notes? are they mountains of green?

What the hell is a Utah Jazz at this point? It's a joke.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

the old note logo is a classic, all they had to do was modernize it a bit and they would have been set for a long long time.

Trust me, they've done what they had to in order to make the new uniforms dope! As a Jazz fan, I'M VERY PROUD!!! :D

So you've seen the new uniforms?

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Apparently the fines are $1,000,000, if not much more for a team to change their whole identity. Now I don't know if that's at any point in time or within a certain window after their last logo update/change.

Maybe to (try and) force teams to establish an identity by discouraging frequent changes? Or to make the teams pay for all of the league-produced marketing materials that are now out-of-date because they had their 'old" logo on them?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Apparently the fines are $1,000,000, if not much more for a team to change their whole identity. Now I don't know if that's at any point in time or within a certain window after their last logo update/change.

Maybe to (try and) force teams to establish an identity by discouraging frequent changes? Or to make the teams pay for all of the league-produced marketing materials that are now out-of-date because they had their 'old" logo on them?

The impetus behind the rule may have good intentions (maintain league branding identities, minimize outdated merchandise), but the end result the league's visual identity getting stuck in the aesthetic crapshoot that is the 1990s, because team owners don't want to fork over the extra change for the overhaul. So instead, we end up with a whole bunch of teams with outdated "primary" logos that are pretty much disconnected from their on-court identity, and ignored by the team as much as possible. Much as the teams would like to pretend their primaries don't exist, though, they're inevitably front-and-center in every TV sports graphics package, emphasizing the disconnect. Atlanta, Toronto, Denver, Phoenix, and Utah would be your primary offenders, I believe.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

i dont believe you, post some pictures :D

122opcw.jpg

Well it was just confirmed to me that the Utah Jazz Primary logo will remain the same outside of a recolor and a different font for the ?UTAH? above the mountain tops. The Secondary logo is the logo that everyone saw on the watch photos. The plan is the use the secondary logo in more places than the recolored primary, so you could honestly argue that the new secondary is the primary! Also, the wordmark that?s currently on the baby blue alternates has been recolored and thrown into the logo mix as either just a wordmark logo or an alternate logo. I?m pretty sure they?ll slap it on a new green uniform 2 years down the road!

Am I really reading this right? I want to know who exactly confirmed this. I don't want to believe my Jazz are actually THAT stupid. If this very scenario goes through, I hate to say it, but it will go down as the dumbest marketing move in sports history.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

So the Jazz are maintaining the mountain logo, but won't be using it? What's the point? Can this team do nothing right when it comes to their identity? Just pony up the cash to use the J/note full time if that's the look you want to with.

This is ridiculous, yet honestly not that surprising :(

So the Jazz are maintaining the mountain logo, but won't be using it? What's the point? Can this team do nothing right when it comes to their identity? Just pony up the cash to use the J/note full time if that's the look you want to with.

This is ridiculous, yet honestly not that surprising :(

Well, really, what's the difference in these two scenarios:

1. The music note wordmark is the designated 'primary logo' and it appears on the jersey, as well as all merchandise.

2. The wordmark w/ mountain is the designated 'primary logo,' but the music note wordmark appears on the jersey, as well as all merchandise. 99% of people outside the organization and its licensees never see the style sheet or whatever anyway and thus don't even know that the wordmark w/ mountain is the 'primary logo.'

From the outside, everything looks the same; there's no difference, and from the inside, it saves the team a lot of money in fees and makes them a lot of money by going back to the 'big-seller' of Jazz identities. Win-win-win as far as I'm concerned, and a good idea if indeed the fee is the reason the primary logo is allegedly staying the same.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived