Most Underused Animals in Logo Design

hettinger_rl

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about my username?I hardly ever see them in pro sports:(If they were,baseball would be a sure bet,maybe football).

)BAT4.gif

Louisville Bats of the International League

This type of discussion is one reason why I am the few who are not opposed to singular team nicknames. I use as a case example the Philadelphia Union (forgive my newfound partisanship for a moment). Nickname makes perfect sense, as Philadelphia was once the capital city of the original thirteen colonies. Out in Houston, you have the Dynamo (which ties into NASA's presence in the area, with space and all that); over in the NHL, there's the Avalanche (no explanation needed) and, bush though it may sound, the Lightning (being that the Tampa Bay region is the lightning strike capital of the US); in the NBA, Miami has the Heat and Orlando has the Magic (again, no explanation needed). However, the first time an NFL team proposes a singular nickname, people will holla "BUSH LEAGUE". I say if the nickname makes enough sense, use it. It doesn't always have to be an animal or some type of human figure (Steelers, 49ers, Raiders, Buccaneers).

Sometimes, it pays to think in the abstract, such as the Union did when developing their name and identity.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

This type of discussion is one reason why I am the few who are not opposed to singular team nicknames. I use as a case example the Philadelphia Union (forgive my newfound partisanship for a moment). Nickname makes perfect sense, as Philadelphia was once the capital city of the original thirteen colonies. Out in Houston, you have the Dynamo (which ties into NASA's presence in the area, with space and all that); over in the NHL, there's the Avalanche (no explanation needed) and, bush though it may sound, the Lightning (being that the Tampa Bay region is the lightning strike capital of the US); in the NBA, Miami has the Heat and Orlando has the Magic (again, no explanation needed). However, the first time an NFL team proposes a singular nickname, people will holla "BUSH LEAGUE". I say if the nickname makes enough sense, use it. It doesn't always have to be an animal or some type of human figure (Steelers, 49ers, Raiders, Buccaneers).

Sometimes, it pays to think in the abstract, such as the Union did when developing their name and identity.

In addition, some of the singular nicknames allow for the most creative animal mascots.

At least "Union" is a collective noun, and soccer nomenclature tends to be more lax than the big four leagues. I like the Miami Heat and that's it. The Lightning could be the Thunderbolts and get the point across without sounding like a wispy youth soccer team. Magic and Thunder sound silly.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A rhino and hippo. I saw a show the other day on Hippos and they are some mean SOB's. Don't let their portly look fool ya. I know when the Baltimore NFL expansion was on the table Baltimore Rhinos was one of the names on the short list. I would not have had a problem with that at all.

I give you the Hutto Hippos!

Hutto High School is in Central Texas.

cfiles8629.jpg

How about my username?I hardly ever see them in pro sports:(If they were,baseball would be a sure bet,maybe football).

)BAT4.gif

Old Austin Ice Bats of the CHL...

bigicebats.jpg

Zebras are too closely tied to the officials to be used for a team. Walruses are sentient blobs of fat, so I can't see teams lining up to be them. Maybe a youth hockey team in The Pas could be the Walruses.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Not all of these animals would have to serve as the team names too. They could just be the logo/mascot. Like I think that the SD Chargers could use a Cape Buffalo as their logo/mascot. It ties into the area via Busch Gardens and the San Diego Zoo (which has a huge African animal exhibit including Cape Buffalo).

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

I always thought Spiders were very under-represented. I mean, we have the Richmond Spiders...but that may be it.

During the 1990s, there was the short-lived San Francisco Spiders of the IHL:

SF_Spiders.png

In the late 1800s, there was a National League baseball franchise called the Cleveland Spiders.

It is what it is.

At least "Union" is a collective noun, and soccer nomenclature tends to be more lax than the big four leagues. I like the Miami Heat and that's it. The Lightning could be the Thunderbolts and get the point across without sounding like a wispy youth soccer team. Magic and Thunder sound silly.

The problem is it somehow became accepted to use the singular when addressing these teams. "The Magic is the number 2 seed." They should all be treated as collective nouns.

What's worse is that I've seen print media refer to the teams as "it" collectively, instead of "them." Yeesh.

)BAT4.gif

Also, the old Greensboro Bats of the minor leagues. Interesting thing about their logo-- the first one looked too much like Batman, and D.C. Comics got on them, so they had to change it. See below for comparison:

batman.JPGGreensboroBats2.GIF

It is what it is.

I'll throw in a breed of dog, with 100's of teams called the Bulldogs I'm surprised there are not more logo variations with either the french or american breeds

We could have a whole tread on underused dog breeds--

I keep envisioning some obscure college going with the Pomeranians...

pomeranian_h01.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived