Unpopular Opinions

On 3/4/2024 at 8:23 AM, BBTV said:

I hate the use of the term "rebuild" in sports - especially for when a team has sucked forever.  You're not "rebuilding", you're just "building".  To "re" build, you have to have been built, and too often, the term is used for teams that were never good.

To me, it means that your team was great, but now has some aging superstars that you want to trade a year early rather than a year late (or just on time), knowing that you may take a step back.  A "rebuild" shouldn't be used for any team that's hit Rock Bottom (I expect a C&D from The Rock for that.)

"Rebuild" has just become a buzzword organizations use to buy themselves time. Executives don't have to face any consequences for their team's poor play because they're "rebuilding" which means we can't judge them for at least 3-5 years.

It feels like a symptom of the ring chasing culture that's taken over pro sports, mainly due to social media. Obviously a championship is the ultimate goal for every sports fan, but we've gotten to a point where we can't celebrate any other accomplishments. Fans demand their favourite team rebuild at the first sign of trouble, without realizing that it means being terrible for a while without any guarantee of success. You're just as likely to end up being the next Detroit Pistons as you are the OKC Thunder. And even if you do execute a successful rebuild, you might just be a perennial playoff team that still can't win it all (i.e. the 76ers).

• Like 2

On 3/4/2024 at 4:51 PM, ruttep said:

Staying on the Patriots theme,

spacer.png

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

spacer.png

Can't stand white pants with white socks, even if the socks are striped.

Since sock rules are a bit loosey goosey these days, some players (notably Matt Judon) have worn plain or striped red socks with the throwbacks

spacer.png
spacer.png

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Since sock rules are a bit loosey goosey these days, some players (notably Matt Judon) have worn plain or striped red socks with the throwbacks

spacer.png
spacer.png

. . . in which case the throwbacks are better than the primaries. But unless the entire team goes white/red/white/red instead of white/red/white/white, I just can't bring myself to like those throwbacks.

• 2 weeks later...

In baseball, stirrups don't look good. It's baseball's version of football's obsession with gray facemasks (which I also expressed my "this is overrated" opinion on earlier in this thread). Except, unlike gray facemasks being overrated but generally fine in terms of appearance, stirrups just look silly - especially when they arch so high up that they become basically nonexistent.

Don't get me wrong: short pants > long pants, hands down. But stirrups are just generally lame, IMO.

oBIgzrL.png

I agree that baseball stirrups don't look good (anymore). They're really an unnecessary part of a baseball uniform.

They looked good "back in the day", but that probably had to do with the fit of the uniforms (baggier) and the fact that players knew how to wear them properly (just a little sanitary sock showing and the higher side in the back).

It's comical to see some of today's players trying to wear stirrups - a few pull it off, but not many (and the "2 in 1s" are an abomination)

Also, yes, shorter pants still look better than long pants.

All they need is a solid team colored sock (team striping would be nice, too)

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 7:14 PM, maz said:

In baseball, stirrups don't look good. It's baseball's version of football's obsession with gray facemasks (which I also expressed my "this is overrated" opinion on earlier in this thread). Except, unlike gray facemasks being overrated but generally fine in terms of appearance, stirrups just look silly - especially when they arch so high up that they become basically nonexistent.

Don't get me wrong: short pants > long pants, hands down. But stirrups are just generally lame, IMO.

Agreed, especially when the need of them is non-existent now. They served a purpose 40+ years ago but as technology and dyes have improved there is no need for them.

On 3/11/2024 at 9:46 AM, spartacat_12 said:

"Rebuild" has just become a buzzword organizations use to buy themselves time. Executives don't have to face any consequences for their team's poor play because they're "rebuilding" which means we can't judge them for at least 3-5 years.

It feels like a symptom of the ring chasing culture that's taken over pro sports, mainly due to social media. Obviously a championship is the ultimate goal for every sports fan, but we've gotten to a point where we can't celebrate any other accomplishments. Fans demand their favourite team rebuild at the first sign of trouble, without realizing that it means being terrible for a while without any guarantee of success. You're just as likely to end up being the next Detroit Pistons as you are the OKC Thunder. And even if you do execute a successful rebuild, you might just be a perennial playoff team that still can't win it all (i.e. the 76ers).

I'm of the opinion fans should be excited about division titles, conference/League(in baseball) championships, team high records, rivalry series wins, etc.  Assuming everything is equal, your team is only going to get a ring every 30 years...if that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

I still think pullover jerseys are the best baseball jersey style ever offered

spacer.png

spacer.png

Bonus Points to the White Sox for rocking the hell out of the pants numbers 

I like the Royals and Pirates from this era.

I love pullovers in baseball and honestly with the Nike takeover I wouldn't have minded most teams switching to the Oregon-style double button template.spacer.png

To add on to my baseball template takes, I hate vests. There's not a single vested that wouldn't look better as a sleeved set. I'm glad they've vanished from MLB and may they never return.

• Like 4

the user formerly known as cdclt