Prokhorov: Nets to change name for 2012 Brooklyn move

Waffles

I'm pretty sure those aren't what the Nets will be wearing when they go to Brooklyn. First, why would their uniforms be in NBA 2K12 if they're not even going to be in Brooklyn this year? And wasn't there something like this last year where somebody just edited a team's uniforms (Jazz maybe?) on the game, I'm thinking that's what happened here.

that's quite possible, though 2K12 isn't released yet, and the screenshot is from a beta-test of the game.

Gothamite, I had forgotten about the Brooklyn-script trademarking...that also might lend itself to meaning these unis being an "educated guess" by the 2K Sports game developers.

I'm hoping these might be false, and that we get a unique color scheme for the Nets.

• Replies 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too tend to doubt that those are the real uniforms, but they're very nice.

The script works well, and the stars are a nice visual reference to the Dr. J classics.

ABAgallery_ervingdunk.jpg

Way off topic but it has to be said...that is the best basketball uniform ever.

Darn right. The Nets have worn them as throwbacks several times, most notably in 2003 when they became the only team ever, in any sport, to wear throwbacks in the finals.

7.-New-Jersey-Nets-ABA-throwbacks.jpg

t10_best-athletes_5.jpg

001289134.jpg

Now that they have decided to keep the "Nets" nickname, these really are the unis that they should use.

And they should not use any baseball-like script on the road. They should use the road jersey that goes with this home uni:

netsroadjersey.png

Here is the original:

6606768_1_l.jpg

I suppose blue on the road is not going to happen, as the Nets have changed from blue to red on the road over the past few years. So, they could swap the blue and red in the above jersey.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Darn right. The Nets have worn them as throwbacks several times, most notably in 2003 when they became the only team ever, in any sport, to wear throwbacks in the finals.

The 49ers wore throwbacks in Superbowl 29.

That was my thought too.

young_168075c.jpg

I suppose blue on the road is not going to happen, as the Nets have changed from blue to red on the road over the past few years. So, they could swap the blue and red in the above jersey.

The Nets switched from blue to red because of their effort to remove 'New Jersey' from their brand (similar to how they refer to the team as "Nets Basketball" nowadays, and stopped using the "Nj" alternate logo). Their blue road jersey had the 'New Jersey' it in, so switching to their red alternate (which says 'Nets') was a good way of doing it without going through the approval process with the league.

So I don't think red is a permanent change.

I don't see what a patriotic RWB w/ stars theme has to do with Nets, though I accept the nostalgic charm of the uniform in question.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That was my thought too.

young_168075c.jpg

Thanks for the correction on that.

I did think of that situation. But I thought that, while those unis started as throwbacks, the 49ers wound up using them full-time that season. So I guess those unis came in full-time the following year, then?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I don't see what a patriotic RWB w/ stars theme has to do with Nets, though I accept the nostalgic charm of the uniform in question.

Well, "Nets" is a pretty silly name, but if you're not going to change it you might as well tap into the nostalgia. That's all the name brings.

That was my thought too.

young_168075c.jpg

Thanks for the correction on that.

I did think of that situation. But I thought that, while those unis started as throwbacks, the 49ers wound up using them full-time that season. So I guess those unis came in full-time the following year, then?

Those never became full-time. The following season the Niners used the traditional unis with gold pants for every game. For the 96 season, they rolled out the darker red with the white pants and drop shadows, but they were different from the throwback set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not being from the NYC area it's hard for me to judge, but to New Jersey fans does the team moving to Brooklyn feel the same as if they moved to Seattle or something?

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Not being from the NYC area it's hard for me to judge, but to New Jersey fans does the team moving to Brooklyn feel the same as if they moved to Seattle or something?

The Nets are like an NY team (just with less coverage than the Knicks) for New Yorkers so I would guess not. New Jersey natives might feel differently though, I don't know. It's more like north Jersey and south Jersey, if you're from north you root for NY, south you root for Philly.

That being said, I'm really happy NY is officially getting another sports team, it's awesome.

Tf9TG.jpg

Aren't the Nets as much a New York team as the Angels are a L.A. team? In both cases, both may not reside within the legal city limits, but they are more or less within the media market and would be classified as those city's teams.

Technically speaking, neither the Giants or Jets are located in NYC, either. They are New Jersey teams using the New York name.

There are no nets fans. Lifetime NJ resident here. There are no nets fans. Everyone in north jersey is a knicks fan. South jersey is Philly territory. And thats only a tiny tiny bit of hyperbole That only reason anyone goes to a nets game is because its a little closer and much cheaper to bring ur kids to (especially before move to Newark)

The move to Brooklyn will hopefully give them a fan base, but right now they have zero. I don't know anyone anywhere that is upset the nets are moving to Brooklyn.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Aren't the Nets as much a New York team as the Angels are a L.A. team? In both cases, both may not reside within the legal city limits, but they are more or less within the media market and would be classified as those city's teams.

Technically speaking, neither the Giants or Jets are located in NYC, either. They are New Jersey teams using the New York name.

Yea that is true. Nets, Devils, and Islanders are all NY area teams. Same market. However, as far as basketball fan percentage in the NY area, it's not even close. 99.9% of them are knicks fans. No one cares about the Nets.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I've always gotten the impression that of the nine New York teams, the Knicks commanded the biggest percentage of the market. Even the Jets and Mets fans I know like the Knicks. I know Isles fans who like the Knicks. The Knicks bring everyone together.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived