MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

He might be referring to Baltimore as one of them.

I really can't give too much more info than I have already, but I will say that Baltimore does not have a new primary.

ScreenShot2011-12-09at052105PM.png

Tomorrow's just your future yesterday.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish that was an MLB rule, if it would have prevented the "Jays," but as Windstorm pointed out, it's not an MLB rule.

Not to mention the A's, and clubs like Detroit and Boston that don't use any names in their primary logo at all (heck, the Red Sox don't even have any letters in their primary logo).

I'm pretty sure the Red Sox primary logo has "Boston Red Sox" written outside the Hanging Sox and a baseball. It was updated a few years ago to accurately reflect the script worn on the jerseys (unlike the fatter lettering used mostly on replicas) and all the lettering was red with a blue outline.

The Hanging Sox logo by itself is more of a secondary logo.

boston-red-sox-logo.jpg

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I wish that was an MLB rule, if it would have prevented the "Jays," but as Windstorm pointed out, it's not an MLB rule.

Not to mention the A's, and clubs like Detroit and Boston that don't use any names in their primary logo at all (heck, the Red Sox don't even have any letters in their primary logo).

I'm pretty sure the Red Sox primary logo has "Boston Red Sox" written outside the Hanging Sox and a baseball. It was updated a few years ago to accurately reflect the script worn on the jerseys (unlike the fatter lettering used mostly on replicas) and all the lettering was red with a blue outline.

boston-red-sox-logo.jpg

Hanging sox is the official primary. This one is the official secondary.

boston-red-sox-logo.jpg

Which is so backwards, IMO: that "secondary" looks like a perfect primary, while the "primary" looks like a perfect secondary. Honestly confounding.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

boston-red-sox-logo.jpg

Which is so backwards, IMO: that "secondary" looks like a perfect primary, while the "primary" looks like a perfect secondary. Honestly confounding.

I totally understand why you would say that. If I remember correctly from when they unveiled the newer logos in '08 or '09, the idea was that the hanging socks logo was "iconic" enough to hold its own without text. I think they wanted to push the socks as a symbol of the franchise that was easily recognizable....kind of like the McDonald's logo or something to that effect. I don't think its a bad idea, but it does kind of go against the grain of what the typical baseball franchise primary logo looks like.

The Red Sox also realize that in the age of Twitter icons and scorebugs, simpler logos are by and large better logos.

I think they were really smart to adopt the two socks logo as the primary. Works across all platforms, from a scoreboard sign 30feet high to the Facebook avatar on my phone.

The Red Sox also realize that in the age of Twitter icons and scorebugs, simpler logos are by and large better logos.

I think they were really smart to adopt the two socks logo as the primary. Works across all platforms, from a scoreboard sign 30feet high to the Facebook avatar on my phone.

Yeah, but the stupid ESPN iPhone app uses the full logo.

Yeah, but the stupid ESPN iPhone app uses the full logo.

Which one? Scorecenter? That wouldn't the be only problem with that lousy ap....

Any reason why Texas has eschewed its royal-blue hat for the red one??? I know they had a brief winning streak in that combo, and I guess they are moving away from the blue, but it looks awful. Has there been a precedent set for such a move? We see teams employ their third / alt. jerseys in the playoffs. Yes. But have we seen a team swap any of its uniform components like its playing dress-up Barbie? And this late in the season?

Any reason why Texas has eschewed its royal-blue hat for the red one??? I know they had a brief winning streak in that combo, and I guess they are moving away from the blue, but it looks awful. Has there been a precedent set for such a move? We see teams employ their third / alt. jerseys in the playoffs. Yes. But have we seen a team swap any of its uniform components like its playing dress-up Barbie? And this late in the season?

All season long Derek Holland used the Red hat/ White jersey combo, and I think it caught on with the rest of the team at home.

I totally understand why you would say that. If I remember correctly from when they unveiled the newer logos in '08 or '09, the idea was that the hanging socks logo was "iconic" enough to hold its own without text. I think they wanted to push the socks as a symbol of the franchise that was easily recognizable....kind of like the McDonald's logo or something to that effect. I don't think its a bad idea, but it does kind of go against the grain of what the typical baseball franchise primary logo looks like.

Yes. Living in New England, I can attest that the Hanging Sox IS, in fact, strong enough to stand on it's own as a primary mark (I don't know about outside the region, though).

It does go against the grain, but considering nearly every primary logo is a circle of some sort, I don't mind my team being one of the few that does something unique with their primary logo.

spacer.png

Yes. Living in New England, I can attest that the Hanging Sox IS, in fact, strong enough to stand on it's own as a primary mark (I don't know about outside the region, though).

It does go against the grain, but considering nearly every primary logo is a circle of some sort, I don't mind my team being one of the few that does something unique with their primary logo.

I'm not doubting it's strong enough to stand on its own - I actually agree that it is - but when coupled with a circle logo with the team name around the hanging Sox, it looks like a secondary, not a primary logo. That's where the mistake was made. If you're going to have the hanging sox as the primary, you shouldn't have that circle logo as the secondary. Secondary logos shouldn't take the primary and add elements to them: by doing that, it looks like the secondary should be the primary.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Archived