Best/Worst Sports Predictions You Recall or Made

Unocal

When it comes to predicting sports and outcomes, you never know what'll happen. Either you'll look like a genius or you'll look silly.

With that in mind, can you recall any instances where:

1. Someone in the media made a prediction that went good/bad

2. You made a prediction that went good/bad

A few examples of both:

Type no. 1- the media pretty much proclaiming Dallas the 2008-09 NFC Champions before the season started. We all know how that went. Also, Sports Illustrated picking the Rams to reach Super Bowl XXV- they couldn't even reach .500. (OTOH, S.I. did pick the Blackhawks to win the Cup in their NHL Preview last season)

Type no. 2- I remember njtank on his Sports E-Cyclopedia site was perfect in predicting every series in the 2006 NBA Playoffs. Personally, I went against the grain in picking the Cardinals to beat the Panthers in the 2008-09 NFC Divisional Playoffs- something that pretty much few did when that game was set to commence.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predicted Arizona would keep it close in the Holiday Bowl last year. :cry:

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I correctly predicted the Syracuse Orangemen winning the 2003 men's bball championship the first day of the season while intoxicated. No, I didn't win any money with a bracket pool.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I can't really say I've ever made many predictions or bets.

My uncle on the other hand plays Pro-Line fairly regularly. Back in February 2002, he won $8,000 on a Pro-Line hockey ticket by betting $25, picking six ties and hitting all of them. The very next week, he

went splits with my other uncle, did the same thing and won $12,000! With the $20,000 they had, they plus a couple of friends rented an RV, drove down to Salt Lake City and got tickets to the Gold Medal game, sitting about ten rows behind the Canadian bench. He also ran into Walter Gretzky while down there.

Three weeks ago, same uncle won $3,600 on Pro-Line.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

A few years back, when the Saints were playing Jacksonville, at the end of the game the famous "River City Relay" occurred. The most amazing NFL play that year. As the team lined up for the extra point (to tie the game and send it to overtime), I said to the gathered crowd at my in-laws' house, "Watch him miss the extra point". And sure enough, John Carney missed it.

It is what it is.

2008, I picked the Steelers to win the super bowl.When that weekend came,all my friends said the cardinals would win, I proved them wrong. (bow)

No, you really didn't do anything.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Best - I have two. My old high school baseball teammates and I had a facebook challenge to predict the recent MLB Playoffs. I was the only one out of all of them who picked Texas to go to the World Series, and on top of that, picked the divisional round outcomes in both leagues perfectly. Too bad there wasn't any rewards involved, or I'd have made bank :D

My second best one was the Raiders/Buccaneers Super Bowl a few years back. We had a family challenge to pick the outcome - winner AND score. I got alot of crap for picking the Buccaneers to beat the Raiders 41-24, and was made fun of the whole day before the Super Bowl. Of course afterwards, after only being off by just a few points and picking the winner correctly, I looked like a genius :D Mind you, I was only about 11 then, so I'd say it was more luck than anything, but still a win nonetheless!

Worst - Ugh, this one hurts. For those who don't know, I'm a big Dodgers fan. I really thought last year was thier year, after two straight trips to the NLCS. I figured three times was the charm, and in Spring Training I picked them to win it all. I don't need to say much more...

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I predicted that OJ Simpson would actually make it to Mexico.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

In 1985, my friend Corey was so certain that the Cardinals would win the World Series (at the beginning of the season), that I bet him $20 that "anybody else" would be champs. ]

It was touch and go for a few days, but I still believe that was genius on my part.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Last year The Hockey News predicted at the start of the season that the Flyers would win the Cup. At the start of the playoffs, they made a big deal about how "We're sorry, everyone makes mistakes." and switched their pick to Washington. Man, they were ridiculously close to having egg on their faces. :jawdrop:

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

ooh, we haven't had a "post your own thought without reading anybody else's post" thread in a long time.

let's see, best: correctly predicted the 2004 final four including the title game and the champion. Just had a feeling about Georgia Tech that year and went with it. Won over $200 in a pool. The only march madness pool I've ever won.

worst: picked the Bengals to be a 9-7 wildcard team this year. I didn't anticipate that they would play with such ferocious idiocy this season.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Back when Floyd Mayweather fought Oscar De La Hoya, I was watching the fight with my brother and a bunch of his friends, and they had a pool on the outcome of the match. I correctly predicted that it would be a split decision in favor of Mayweather but didn't put any money in. :cursing:

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Well you have all seen my picks for years on my site, all of which I post on this site.

I think the best one I did recently was the 2007 Final Four when I won an office pool.

This year I picked the Giants to go to the World Series in April.

I picked the Heat to win the 2006 NBA Finals before the season and that year nailed every playoff series.

Than some of my Mets picks have sucked being blinded by the hype that organization fed me and picking them to win every year was idiotic.

Picking the Hurricanes to miss the playoffs the year they won the Cup was also hideous.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived