Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

I don't like the white thrown in. I would suggest them reversing the blue and red on the stripes, however. Watching the Bills game in HD a few weeks ago, the red on the helmet seems to glow pinkish against the royal blue stripes. The it just becomes a glowish mosh of a stripe and the blue is lost completely. I think colors would help alleviate the problem.

Edit: after looking at a picture of Bruce Smith, the blue stripe was surrounded by red on the helmet and pants, and the colors still bled together. Maybe the solution is to tone down the shade of red they use on the uniforms so it doesn't glow and the colors are more easily distinguished.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if that's the thought behind the navy outline of the red on the numbers - not necessarily to promote navy as one of their colors, but just as a solution to prevent red and royal bleeding together? I'd like to see the red outline on the numbers be a little thicker and see how it looks against the royal with a thin navy border. The navy isn't as noticeable as I originally thought it was.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In a word? No.

The only problem with the helmet stripe is its expanding girth. Other than that, the helmet's perfect. Extra white stripes just clutter it up.

Agreed. I think, if anything, maybe a more vibrant shade of red would solve the muddy problem. That, and getting rid of the navy blue.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

More teams need to realize what the Giants have. That you can wear a uniform devoid of navy blue and still sell navy merchandise.

For what it's worth, the Detroit Pistons realized this years ago. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I actually like the idea of the stripe on the helmet with it still flaring out in the back, but not the white stripes on the pants.

I also just noticed that the stripe pattern of the pants is reversed from the previous Bills throwback uniforms and their 1980's set. They went from red, blue, red, to blue, red, blue. I imagine they did that because the navy trim next to red, royal, red then navy wouldn't look too good.

Definitely think they need to use those home socks when paired with the white road uniform and use those 3 striped white socks for whenever they choose to wear the blue pants. It's going to be interesting to see what Madden12 has for the final Bills set. In the leak we saw the blue pants used with the blue topped socks for the away uniform. I also wonder what the bills would look like at home with the white topped socks with the royal uniform as well.

This doesn't look too bad at all.

684247_f260.jpg

A look at the differing Bills pants during the Kelly to late 90's era. Sometimes they wore red,blue,red with both home and away uniforms and sometimes they didn't. I never noticed that until now.

256395_display_image.jpg?1293497755

image19759.jpg

5096379012_26e4647eb4.jpg

76-01883-Y.jpg

Also, when Ryan grows his beard back he will become:

thefalconer.jpg

I actually like the idea of the stripe on the helmet with it still flaring out in the back, but not the white stripes on the pants.

I also just noticed that the stripe pattern of the pants is reversed from the previous Bills throwback uniforms and their 1980's set. They went from red, blue, red, to blue, red, blue. I imagine they did that because the navy trim next to red, royal, red then navy wouldn't look too good.

Definitely think they need to use those home socks when paired with the white road uniform and use those 3 striped white socks for whenever they choose to wear the blue pants. It's going to be interesting to see what Madden12 has for the final Bills set. In the leak we saw the blue pants used with the blue topped socks for the away uniform. I also wonder what the bills would look like at home with the white topped socks with the royal uniform as well.

684247_f260.jpg

A look at the differing Bills pants during the Kelly to late 90's era. Sometimes they wore red,blue,red with both home and away uniforms and sometimes they didn't. I never noticed that until now.

The Bills probably went with the blue/red/blue stripes because they were basing the new uniforms on the 1975 set that OJ is wearing in the photo you posted (I cut the other photos).

As I remember it, the Bills went from red/blue/red stripes on the white pants to the blue/red/blue stripes with the 1975 redesign. They kept these through 1989 - they had the blue/red/blue stripes when they lost to the Browns in the playoffs. They switched back to the red/blue/red (with narrow red stripes) in 1990, and kept those stripes until they changed to the navy set in 2002.

In a word? No.

The only problem with the helmet stripe is its expanding girth. Other than that, the helmet's perfect. Extra white stripes just clutter it up.

Agreed. I think, if anything, maybe a more vibrant shade of red would solve the muddy problem. That, and getting rid of the navy blue.

Bingo -- totally agree. It's the navy blue that's making things muddy, and it's totally unnecessary.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

684247_f260.jpg

256395_display_image.jpg?1293497755

image19759.jpg

5096379012_26e4647eb4.jpg

76-01883-Y.jpg

Also, when Ryan grows his beard back he will become:

thefalconer.jpg

I remember seeing a few photos where some of the Bills were still wearing the blue-red-blue striped pants while others had the new red-blue-red stripes on during the same game.

I preferred the red-blue-red stripe as that was the middle part of the helmet stripe. I like things like that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Finally figured out what was bugging me with the new uniforms. There needs to be some white between the red and blue. They just don't mix together well and would look tons better with some white separating them. Look at the before/after on the helmets/pants on these below. Don't you think it looks better with some white in between?

No ....... I don't

TBH, and with all due respect I think you're nitpicking ....

At first I didn't like having the thin navy on the outside of the royal on both the helmet and pants stripes, now I like it. It adds a nice closure to the outside and you barely notice it unless you're totally focusing on that.

I also didn't like how the helmet stripe expands in girth to the back of the helmet, but when watching a game in real-time and during play-action it has actually grown on me. I could take it or leave it, either is fine.

I had wished the Reebok logo was above the sleeve stripes rather than below, leading to the sleeve-striping to be more level, but the players have been stretching the sleeves anyway so on many of them you don't see that 45° angle, they're more level. I'm even okay with the logo on the pants striping, more teams now do it than I had realized.

The new home uniform is fine .... I'm quite happy with it and feel our identity has been restored from what Donahoe did to it in 2002.

The new road uniform is the ONLY issue that irks me. If they're not gonna use the freakin' :mad: blue pants they DO have, at least use the home socks with the excess blue ... Just because the JETS wear similar style socks on their all-white roadies doesn't make it right.

It's been said that when an NFL team undergoes a uniform change they can't change anything for 4-5 years .... I don't believe the same goes for minor tweaking of things. I believe the NFL rules have more to do with undergoing a color or logo change. If I'm wrong someone correct me, IF you know that for a fact?

In a word? No.

Bingo -- totally agree. It's the navy blue that's making things muddy, and it's totally unnecessary.

To be honest, the navy blue is really the only element that gives the uniform a more modern feel. I don't agree with it, but to me that's the 'San Diego Chargers influence' with this jersey; I can't help but compare the two. You can argue that the sleeve stripe design looks a bit modern but I think that has nothing to do with the design as much it does with the cut of the jersey. I kind of wish that they omitted the navy blue but the last time I checked they lost my telephone number to call during the design process...who knows :)

I got Madden 12 today and decided to test out the Bills blue pants on the road. It was glorious, and even more glorious that the Raiders won and got the first TD off a blocked FG. :P Fitzgerald kept throwing long bombs and almost screwing me over.

Seriously though, I really like the new Bills set. I also wonder if they'll get a red alternate, some day.

bSLCtu2.png

To be honest, the navy blue is really the only element that gives the uniform a more modern feel. I don't agree with it, but to me that's the 'San Diego Chargers influence' with this jersey; I can't help but compare the two. You can argue that the sleeve stripe design looks a bit modern but I think that has nothing to do with the design as much it does with the cut of the jersey. I kind of wish that they omitted the navy blue but the last time I checked they lost my telephone number to call during the design process...who knows :)

> >

Speaking of the Chargers, their AFL-50 throwbacks worn in 2009 have got to be one of the best football uniforms ever, the roadies included. I don't understand why they don't bring them back full-time without any tweaks whatsoever.

For throwbacks they could wear the 80s royal blue with yellow from the Air Coryell / Fouts era .... before Spanos ruined their look in the late 80s. They used to wear their away whites at home games during that era, so we didn't see their royal blues too often, but they looked so damn good in the sunshine.

Those powder blue alts they went to in 2007 are a very cheap imitation of their 60s throwback IMO ....

The Raiders have one of the best away throwbacks I've ever seen ... love that '63 logo and the silver numbers ... that away jersey & logo truly give them the look of the 'silver & black' ...

09000d5d812a4c73_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d813adf9c_gallery_600.jpg

4783480.jpg

I got Madden 12 today and decided to test out the Bills blue pants on the road. It was glorious, and even more glorious that the Raiders won and got the first TD off a blocked FG. :P Fitzgerald kept throwing long bombs and almost screwing me over.

Seriously though, I really like the new Bills set. I also wonder if they'll get a red alternate, some day.

Blue pants on the road?

Stop teasing me! cry_smile.gif

A red alternate? Hopefully never, because that would sabotage us from seeing the throwbacks with our beloved grazing Bison throwback.gif logo twice a year.

See you lot in Orchard Park for our home opener Week # 2 .... I assure you Lindell's FG attempts won't get blocked for a TD :grin:

You can argue that the sleeve stripe design looks a bit modern

I'm not sure how.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also yes, the away uniform in Madden 12 does not have blue pants by default. I also tried out monochrome for the Bills....and it was bad.

Any screen shots of the blue pants...even the monochrome look?

As far as adding stripes (and why they added navy for that matter) probably had to do with them looking a little too much like SMU. They look great BTW.

TCUvsSMU.jpg

You can argue that the sleeve stripe design looks a bit modern

I'm not sure how.

I should have expounded upon my point by stating that they are a modernized version of the OLD stripes. I reread my post and understand why it didn't seem clearer. I guess "modern" might have been mistaken with something like what the Cardinals or Falcons have or something. Not what I meant.

Archived