Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

Yeah the screened on half stripes on the sleeves look really cheap on the field. Either go durene or (preferably) don't do stripes at all. It also bothers me some that the pants and helmet are red surrounded by blue, while the sleeves are reversed. I think making the sleeves match the pants would've worked better in this case, and would make the numbers stand out a little more.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't like all the competing stripes going on. From the side we're looking at three different striping patterns and it looks bush.

Either match the socks with the sleeves or match the sleeves and socks to the helmet and pants.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I really do like the white on white, but the white topped socks with the white pants suck. I read someones comments who went to the Chicago preseason game and said they looked like Q-tips from the cheap seats. Break out the blue pants with these socks or if they are sticking to the white on white, they MUST go with the blue topped home socks.

311294_10150343190800659_72631215658_10190192_4728754_n.jpg

EVERY one of those photos you posted are all zoomed-in photos ............

Unless you're there at the game, and on or very close to the sidelines, you don't see a view like that.

When one is watching on TV the majority of the time the TV cameras are zoomed-out during real-time game-action.

The Bills need to wear their blue pants on road ............. They're just WAY TOO WHITE without them.

I agree about the bluer socks if they're going to insist on this white-white-white look ....

If a team has striped socks they MUST match sleeve stripes (if present).

Why? The Lions have the "Northwestern" sleeve stripes and 1-striped socks. Obviously this does not match, yet it looks just fine.

2010-09-14_98621670JD121_Detroit_Lions_crop_450x500.jpg?1284485442

npkzhgxgjqndcfq0y3zoer307.gif

I have to admit that I totally HATED the Lion's uniform change when I first saw them. But now I am totally in love with them. They've really grown on me.

Yeah the screened on half stripes on the sleeves look really cheap on the field. Either go durene or (preferably) don't do stripes at all. It also bothers me some that the pants and helmet are red surrounded by blue, while the sleeves are reversed. I think making the sleeves match the pants would've worked better in this case, and would make the numbers stand out a little more.

Couldn't agree more, Vet. The durene stripes are a much nicer solution. I know the Steelers and Lions have those stripes, but I don't know for sure who else. Can anybody do a list of NFL teams with sleeve stripes and how they're applied? I'm not even sure of all the options, anymore... screened-on vs. durene vs. sewn-in vs iron-on...?

(For those that have no idea what any of this means, traditional-style sleeve stripes have to be applied to the jersey by some method... the most popular <I think> still being silk-screening, which makes for a solid, yet slightly shiney, finish. Think Packers, Giants, Cowboys, new Bills. Another way is to, basically, knit the stripes directly into the fabric, like a sock stripe. This is what the Lions and Steelers do. Admittedly, its a small detail, but to me it makes a big difference.)

Couldn't agree more, Vet. The durene stripes are a much nicer solution. I know the Steelers and Lions have those stripes, but I don't know for sure who else. Can anybody do a list of NFL teams with sleeve stripes and how they're applied? I'm not even sure of all the options, anymore... screened-on vs. durene vs. sewn-in vs iron-on...?

(For those that have no idea what any of this means, traditional-style sleeve stripes have to be applied to the jersey by some method... the most popular <I think> still being silk-screening, which makes for a solid, yet slightly shiney, finish. Think Packers, Giants, Cowboys, new Bills. Another way is to, basically, knit the stripes directly into the fabric, like a sock stripe. This is what the Lions and Steelers do. Admittedly, its a small detail, but to me it makes a big difference.)

The Browns are the only other team I can think of with the knit stripes - they switched from screened on to knit when they had their most recent change. Anyone else who has fabric striping has shoulder stripes - I'm thinking Colts, Rams, Chargers (although the bolt is screened on to the insert) and Patriots.

I really do like the white on white, but the white topped socks with the white pants suck. I read someones comments who went to the chicago preseason game and said they looked like Q-tips from the cheap seats. Break out the blue pants with these socks or if they are sticking to the white on white, they MUST go with the blue topped home socks.

185368_10150343210170659_72631215658_10190530_3511256_n.jpg

Some BLUE or RED pants would make this look so much better.

spacer.png

The Browns are the only other team I can think of with the knit stripes - they switched from screened on to knit when they had their most recent change. Anyone else who has fabric striping has shoulder stripes - I'm thinking Colts, Rams, Chargers (although the bolt is screened on to the insert) and Patriots.

Yeah, obviously, any team with an actual insert (colts, vikings, rams), but those are generally at the shoulder, where a seem already appears. I guess I'm taliing about the old school sleeve wrap-around stripe... which we see less and less of now anyway. So, its:

9ers, Bears, Packers, Giants, Cowboys, Bills - Screened-on.

Lions, Browns, Steelers - Knit.

Redskins, Chiefs - either, depending on the sleeve cut.

These are guesses, though. If anybody knows otherwise, I'd like to know.

I really do like the white on white, but the white topped socks with the white pants suck. I read someones comments who went to the chicago preseason game and said they looked like Q-tips from the cheap seats. Break out the blue pants with these socks or if they are sticking to the white on white, they MUST go with the blue topped home socks.

Thanks for highlighting the colors. I had forgotten what blue and red looked like.

Blue pants, I agree, but red pants would look absolutely terrible and wouldn't match anything throughout the rest of the uniform.

PvO6ZWJ.png

How ridiculous is it, that the NFL is making all of these moves for player safety and still let players wear pants without padding?

Not ridiculous at all.

The league is studying the data on pads in advance of mandating them. Give it another year or so - some people already complain that they act too unilaterally.

Haven't really chimed in on the new look:

It's superlatively improved over the modern garbage they wore before. The old could've worked if they had gone with white pants at home and not had the road yoke.

These, however, are much better. Flawed (I think I'll join many others in saying the socks are a miss), but better.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

It's superlatively improved over the modern garbage they wore before. The old could've worked if they had gone with white pants at home and not had the road yoke.

These, however, are much better. Flawed (I think I'll join many others in saying the socks are a miss), but better.

This is where I stand. The new uniforms have their flaws, but they're such a drastic improvement over what they've been wearing for the past decade that I can't fault them.

Thanks for highlighting the colors. I had forgotten what blue and red looked like.

Blue pants, I agree, but red pants would look absolutely terrible and wouldn't match anything throughout the rest of the uniform.

The Bills couldn't wear red pants (which would look ridiculous) even if they wanted to.

The new set consists of white and blue in the pants department, there's no red.

There's been a major plea for blue away pants throughout Bills-nation, hopefully they'll pop 'em out for the season-opener at KC but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one.

You are welcome, I try to point out the obvious!

spacer.png

This is where I stand. The new uniforms have their flaws, but they're such a drastic improvement over what they've been wearing for the past decade that I can't fault them.

I can't look at it like that. You can't really allow context to affect your expectations, unless it's a historical or traditional thing and they were bound to keep certain elements around when working on the new design (so basically you're just playing the hand you were dealt.) In this case, other than the logo, they were starting from scratch with no limitations on what they could do, and they still didn't get it right. Of course it's better than what they had, and for the casual fan that's probably good enough, but it doesn't buy them any leeway from a design standpoint.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived