Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gray facemask looks significantly better than a blue one, and that's just a fact. That blue facemask looks gaudy and out-of-place.

Blue face mask would look so much better.

It didn't in the past, it wouldn't now.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Guess i'm one of the few that likes the Pats current set...

It's a modern classic.

Really? I'd say the Chargers', Texans', Eagles', Falcons', and Panthers' uniforms are "modern classics," and I wouldn't put the Patriots' current joyless mess of a uniform anywhere near that list. (I thought about putting the Jaguars' uniforms on that list, but they need to work in more gold and use teal numbers on the road.)

The Chargers look has to many things that bug me to be considered a classic. The Falcons set is just a generic over-piped/panelled mess. Agreed on the Texans, Eagles, and Panthers though.

I like the Pats look for a few reasons. The first is the navy. See, they use the red, white, and blue colour scheme to reflect the American flag. Well the American flag uses navy, not royal blue. Therefore I prefer the team using the American patriotic nickname (literally) to use the shade of blue actually fond on the flag. I too like the italic-numbered Patriots set, but I would love it even more if it used navy in place of royal.

As for the rest of the look, it's certainly modern, using panels and piping. Yet it's used in a distinct pattern that manages to avoid the generic look that most piped/panelled looks use. The pattern used by the Pats is distinctly theirs. The pattern is also fairly traditional. Over the shoulder stripes, standard straight leg stripes. Yeah, the side panels and the pants striping never matched up, but honestly I was never bugged by that.

Hey Cap, put'em in red jerseys! ;) Ah. Memories.

I'm all seriousness, I royally hate the Patrioys but they are a tweak or two from having a solidly great set. First, change the facemask to navy. The red just looks so off and outta place like they just wanted some red somewhere and they chose that spot. Then the homes are set. No more changes needed. The whites need to ditch the navy inside the side panel but leave the red piping. Then wear the silver pants with the whites. Solid panels that go from the the sleeve or under it straight down to the bottom of the pants just don't look good. Too elongated. One of the many issues with the previous Bills set. The red piping would be thin enough to avoid this while the navy panel on the pants would still go with the navy shoulder stripe. Also the navy pants and white socks just look bad with a silver helmet and white jersey. Then maybe change the white trim around the numbers to silver (or leave them white) and boom. They're done. That's it. Hate the team but would like they're look.

Like Scott Norwood's kick... close, but no good.

This is so frustrating because these are so close to being perfect. As a born and raised WNY'er and

avid Bills fan it just pains me to take one step forward and two backwards all the time.

Pros:

? Back to Royal

? White helmet. I love the red one also, but this is fresh and the logo pops off of it.

? Classic striping but.... see my cons

? I actually think the sleeve striping placement looks good. It seems like a necessary solution to the increasing problem

of no-sleeve unis and reduced awkward stripes.

Cons:

? Navy? really? didn't we learn this lesson. It's NOT needed, get rid of it, it is completely pointless. At no time in 30+ years

did I ever hear anyone or a broadcaster say the numbers were difficult to read when just royal/red or white/red.

? The navy outlines makes the whole thing look cartoonish and juvenile.

? Logo overkill: 5 logos between the helmet, jersey and pants. You only need the helmet, get rid of the rest.

? Striping coloring inconsistency: only because there is the stupid Navy does this even present an issue. Why is the striping on the white jersey

different from the numbers to the sleeves? Duh, hello Reebok wake up. The numbers from inside out read: royal/red/navy. The stripes are royal/navy/red

? Tapered helmet stripe on a classic helmet with gray facemask, paired with a traditional jersey and pant striping = FAIL

This is the ultimate critique of these.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The gray facemask looks significantly better than a blue one, and that's just a fact. That blue facemask looks gaudy and out-of-place.

Blue face mask would look so much better.

It didn't in the past, it wouldn't now.

The blue face mask was always great, and would be a welcome change.

o.j.-simpson-001302478.jpg

This uniform just looks so clean and vibrant. Perfect coordination from the numerals to the sleeve stripes to the sock stripes. Likewise with the white pants and helmet (not shown). The perfect visual jumpstart for the away uniform in these blue pants. A wonderfully understated grey mask. This is what a football uniform looks like when you look it up in the dictionary. Id love to see the solid red standing buffalo on these helmets to balance out that thick red stripe on the pants.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Someone did a solid-red charging buffalo (sans motion stripe) that I thought was a perfect helmet logo for the new set. Especially had they gone with the solid blue numbers that were thought at one time to have been the choice. Perfect balance.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the Patriots' look is completely generic. It's like the unholy love child of these two uniforms:

wne6n2bw5zarvmeuxpbimyk6z.gifef8b4fkpheod5fqf8opiikp8b.gif

(Yes, I realize the Patriots' current uniforms came before the Vikings' uniforms, but still.)

I love both of these uniforms. As a matter of fact I bought both jerseys last year.

spacer.png

Guess i'm one of the few that likes the Pats current set...

No, I love their look. Especially their different colored home and away pants. I just wish more teams would follow suit with New England. But then again I am not a traditionalist like most people on this forum. I believe teams need to change with the times and update every 10 years. They should not go back in time to find a full-time uniform, maybe an alternative, but not the main uniform. Take my favorite team for example, the Cleveland Browns, their uniforms are well, boring. This team is not the original Browns, therefore put a logo on the helmet already. Second, I like that you tried Brown pants, but then need to go to Orange on the Road and re-do the striping on the whole set to a more modern look with piping. I would like to see the Browns do something like this:

Browns_White_Brown_White.jpg

Browns_White_Orange_White.jpg

Browns_White_White_Orange.jpg

spacer.png

The gray facemask (come on, NFL/reebok/whoever. Just because a team goes into a somewhat traditional look, that doesn't mean you have to go to a gray facemask. Gray facemasks : NFL :: Circle logo with "______ Hockey Club" Script : NHL), collar, lack of blue pants, & weird sleeve striping all irk me, and are what's keeping this set from being one of the best in the NFL. But compared to what they used to have, this is a godsend. Good job, Buffalo, but it could've been MUCH better.

The gray facemask (come on, NFL/reebok/whoever. Just because a team goes into a somewhat traditional look, that doesn't mean you have to go to a gray facemask. Gray facemasks : NFL :: Circle logo with ______ Hockey Club Script : NHL), collar, lack of blue pants, & weird sleeve striping all irk me, and are what's keeping this set from being one of the best in the NFL. But compared to what they used to have, this is a godsend. Good job, Buffalo, but it could've been MUCH better.

I agree. The gray facemasks is so 1950s and I personally hate it. Now if a team has gray in their uniform then by all means use it, but I do not recall the Bills having gray in their uniform. Does anyone?

spacer.png

I'm one who likes the gray facemask on a case by case basis and feel it works here. That being said, I do think a blue facemask would also look good as well, so it's kind of a wash for me. The stripes I think could've been straightened out a bit even due to the sleeve cut, and yeah, some of the navy seems a bit unnecessary and small, but overall, it's an A+++ upgrade over the previous crap, and probably a solid A- to A in terms of overall league looks.

I really do look forward to seeing this set every sunday. A nice clean look, that would be perfect without the navy (but I understand it) and a white or blue facemask.

Isn't the navy thing so sad. So much effort put into a great look and it's detracted in most's eyes by the navy. Not needed.

Again, to me the Bills showed zero imagination. Even the blue pants/red socks era (1973)looked better.

Me, I loved the old Toronto Argos boatman jerseys with Jason the Argo on the shoulders (I have a game worn home and away set). I liked the old Patriots flying Elvis logo on the shoulders. I like the old Seahawks wrap around logo on the sleeves. Seahawks were an innovative use of design.

Speaking of the Patriots, I wish they would have adopted the old Ohio Glory logo as a secondary logo and switched that blue to navy.

Sorry Bills fans. You got rooked again by a poor effort amongs NFL Properties and ownership.

The BENGALS came into the AFL with those black uniforms and orange helmets that just read 'BENGALS' in that boring font. On TV they used to look just like the BROWNS. You didn't see them ever bring those back after the 1981 change. Smart non-move.

I actually like them in those orange jerseys with the white pants .... just needs a bit of tweaking, like the white sidings on the jersey, and the top of the pants striping. Put the pants striping along the jersey sides instead. The very top of the pants converts the Bengal Tiger to white w/ orange stripes, very odd. ... If anyone should go to orange as primary it should be them more so than Denver who's rumored to wanna revert back to orange as primary.

09000d5d81c49907_gallery_600.jpg

You pretty much nailed it with regard to the Bengals. I really enjoy seeing them in the uniform pictured above as well as in the all white. Any combination of the black jersey or black pants makes me cringe. I'm not sure about having the stripes run up the sides of the jersey, but getting rid of the white panel would be a great move. Also gotta disagree about the old Browns-looking uniforms of 1968-80. I've read several fans on the Bengals boards that would like to see them as the twice-a-year alternate. I spent my childhood dreaming that I'd see those uniforms in the Super Bowl and they missed it by one year.

The BENGALS came into the AFL with those black uniforms and orange helmets that just read 'BENGALS' in that boring font. On TV they used to look just like the BROWNS. You didn't see them ever bring those back after the 1981 change. Smart non-move.

I actually like them in those orange jerseys with the white pants .... just needs a bit of tweaking, like the white sidings on the jersey, and the top of the pants striping. Put the pants striping along the jersey sides instead. The very top of the pants converts the Bengal Tiger to white w/ orange stripes, very odd. ... If anyone should go to orange as primary it should be them more so than Denver who's rumored to wanna revert back to orange as primary.

09000d5d81c49907_gallery_600.jpg

You pretty much nailed it with regard to the Bengals. I really enjoy seeing them in the uniform pictured above as well as in the all white. Any combination of the black jersey or black pants makes me cringe. I'm not sure about having the stripes run up the sides of the jersey, but getting rid of the white panel would be a great move. I'd make the pants stripes run all the way to the bottom of the leg, as well.

Also gotta disagree about the old Browns-looking uniforms of 1968-80. I've read several fans on the Bengals boards that would like to see them as the twice-a-year alternate. I spent my childhood dreaming that I'd see those uniforms in the Super Bowl and they missed it by one year. They were plain, but no less attractive than many other uniforms of the past and present.

Archived