Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe no manufacturer has thought to make the sleeves out of underarmour-type stretchy material. Have them go halfway down the biceps. Then the NFL can mandate that no sleeve alterations are allowed. Most of the players wear those shirts anyway. It is ridiculous when you see players like Michael Vick or Matt Ryan with pads hanging out of their sleeves yet they are wearing underarmour down to the elbows.

Ahem...

Eddie+Pleasant+Oregon+v+Oregon+State+LVFZQY_PPpMl.jpg

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I can't believe no manufacturer has thought to make the sleeves out of underarmour-type stretchy material. Have them go halfway down the biceps. Then the NFL can mandate that no sleeve alterations are allowed. Most of the players wear those shirts anyway. It is ridiculous when you see players like Michael Vick or Matt Ryan with pads hanging out of their sleeves yet they are wearing underarmour down to the elbows.

Ahem...

I think he means the sleeves of the jersey, not an undershirt underneath the jersey. If you're relying on an undergarment to complete the on-field look, you're going to end up with a worse problem than when you started. Some players will wear them and look as intended. Other players will never wear sleeves on-field and you'll have half of your team with bare arms and half with striped undersleeves. It will be like having pajama-bottomed and high-cuffed, stirrup-clad players on the baseball field at the same time. Looks terrible.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

That NFL is so strict with their uniform codes that fines are regularly given out, most times about socks or shoes.

Sleeves are now made shorter & shorter, yet players are still tucking them inside even more ... I just wonder when is enough going to be enough.

Stevie J who's doing interviews on ESPN today, was seen wearing his this morning.... looks good. If you're not looking for the navy outline you don't even notice it, would have liked to of seen him in a white one instead tho'.

I still say that NFL shield belongs higher, on the front-centre on the collar, not below it. Word-mark is just too low due to that.

3:22 pm EDT ? SportsCenter live ESPNews

4 pm EDT ? NFL LIVE in studio

stevie-in-new-jersey.jpg

This... is a replica.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Funny...I do 99.7% percent of my internetting through my BlackBerry now (kinda have to, I live on the road)...and I don't seem to have those issues very often. Maybe y'all should just pay closer attention to what you're typing. :P

This, coming from the guy who wrote 'finna' instead of 'gonna' two times in as many posts. :P

Ahem...

I think he means the sleeves of the jersey, not an undershirt underneath the jersey. If you're relying on an undergarment to complete the on-field look, you're going to end up with a worse problem than when you started. Some players will wear them and look as intended. Other players will never wear sleeves on-field and you'll have half of your team with bare arms and half with striped undersleeves. It will be like having pajama-bottomed and high-cuffed, stirrup-clad players on the baseball field at the same time. Looks terrible.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I'm all for preserving history and tradition and all that jazz--when it fits properly within the overall aesthetic--but that Niners photo and what the Bills just pulled off, combined with the direction "innovative uniform technology" has been and is taking, just lends more credence to a thought that's been brewing in my mind for quite a while now:

Its 2011. It might just be time to let the whole sleeve stripe thing go. I get it, its an element of traditional uniform design that's stuck around, and in some cases has even been revived over the years--but these latest incarnations are just proving that the ever-shrinking amount of real estate to even fit stripes onto just isn't conducive to maintaining just for the sake of doing so. Look it--there's plenty of teams in the League w/ traditionally-designed (or based) uniforms whose jerseys have no stripes--the Saints, Buccaneers, Chiefs, Redskins, et al. They all used to have them, but not anymore (well, the Redskins is an iffy one--they ve pretty much been relegated to cuff trim now), and it doesn't detract from the overall aesthetic. Really, where I'm getting at with this is what will happen when Nike or whoever takes over the uniform contract after them keeps developing this new technology (like Rbk & adidas is now with the shrinkwrap jerseys), which already restrict use of "sleeve" space--and then it comes time to outfit the Packers, Browns, Steelers, Lions, et al using this new technology. We all saw what TechFit/shrinkwrap did to the Colts' uniforms (and Packers, for the couple players that had them)--had those stripes looking all kinds of to' up. That's really what I'm curious about moving forward with this whole sleeve stripe thing. Not saying Swoosh Inc. can't find a way to make it work, but I also ain't finna hold my breath about it, either.

In all honesty I agree with this statement but wouldn't the league just be regulated to cookie-cutter style uniforms 32 teams across? I mean save for those that use shoulder stripes, any team that ever had sleeve stripes would basically be forced to their primaries or not for that space. The Steelers placed their logo on the left/front of their jersey to either make up for traditionally not putting one there in the first place, not wanting to, to brand the jersey even more, or all of the above. I agree with either option of putting a stretch fit material as a new sleeve or mandating them as sleeves midway to the biceps. But be honest, who's going to follow those rules? It's not gonna happen 100% and we know this! I blame the NFL for allowing the tapering of sleeves into oblivion in the first place and not doing anything to really stop it. When players wore dureen and 3/4 sleeves, most cut them for breathability which gave way to port-hole mesh and short sleeves, thus giving way to mini-mesh and cuff-fitted sleeves up until what we have now which are basically glorified tank tops!

Funny...I do 99.7% percent of my internetting through my BlackBerry now (kinda have to, I live on the road)...and I don't seem to have those issues very often. Maybe y'all should just pay closer attention to what you're typing. :P

This, coming from the guy who wrote 'finna' instead of 'gonna' two times in as many posts. :P

Hey--don't be hating on my southern vo'nacular, homeboi! :P.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Hey--don't be hating on my southern vo'nacular, homeboi! :P.

so%20you%20can%20run%20and%20tell%20that.jpg

I had to.

Ahem...

This seems like the best solution to me. The whole "what if players don't wear the undersleeves" argument is pointless. Just say they have to. Between Nike and the NFL, I'm sure new uniforms will be worn as intended.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So what, would they be like a dickey and not have a bottom? If not (and even if) wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the high-tech wicking material of the jersey? I'd be uncomfortable as hell having to wear tight arm sleeves, especially in extreme heat. I have pretty well developed arms, but I'm nothing like an NFL player - I can imagine that their discomfort would be greater. It's one thing to be slightly uncomfortable while training, but I wouldn't want anything on my mind while playing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hey, I'm not the one with a master's in performance textiles. I'm just getting on board with what most people think is the best way to standardize NFL uniforms, which is more or less the Pro Combat template.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

To clarify, I wasn't talking about what Nike did with putting stripes on the undershirt. For at least the past 20 years, shoulders and sleeves have been made of shiny material on many jerseys. Instead of going with dazzle mesh, make the shoulders and sleeves out of stretchy Underarmour-type material. Have the jersey sleeves go halfway down the biceps, say 10" long to account for pads. Then make a rule (and actually enforce it) that players can't alter their jersey sleeves. They would never get every player to wear the undershirts anyway, so just cut out the middle man.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

So what, would they be like a dickey and not have a bottom? If not (and even if) wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the high-tech wicking material of the jersey? I'd be uncomfortable as hell having to wear tight arm sleeves, especially in extreme heat. I have pretty well developed arms, but I'm nothing like an NFL player - I can imagine that their discomfort would be greater. It's one thing to be slightly uncomfortable while training, but I wouldn't want anything on my mind while playing.

I don't think it would be that uncomfortable, but I've never worn sleeves like that in a game so I don't know for sure. Matt Ryan and some others do wear sleeves that length pretty much every game though. Right now I think the best solution to the sleeve problem would be to implement the half-length sleeves for all players. They would have to actually police it, of course, or else it would look just as bad as it does now.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I just don't understand what the "problem" is. Shouldn't the function be the primary thing here? It's only a problem because a bunch of "uniform dorks" (calm down, I'm one too) want to see stripes. There's no functional need for sleeves so my opinion is that whatever the player feels provides them with the most comfort should be worn, so long as it's properly tailored that way (i.e. a guy doesn't just take scissors and cut off his sleeves so it looks unprofessional and like a sand-lot game.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lest we not forget that part of the plot is also to make things as difficult as possible on the counterfeit jersey-makers, not to mention striping of some kind is stylish when done right and not tampered with by lineman who are obsessed with trying to prevent illegal holding in any way possible.

Teams like the RAIDERS have got to be a counterfeiters dream ....

The NFL has talked about outlawing hair hanging out of the back of the helmet and covering player names, but I echo myself when saying that they should really be taking a stance where enough is enough with the altering of the already shortened sleeves, just as they've done with bandanas.

They focus way too much on socks and shoes for uniform fines.

Between Nike and the NFL, I'm sure new uniforms will be worn as intended.

I think all we need to do is find an obligatory Chris Hovan photo to illustrate the absurdity of this comment.

There's no functional need for sleeves...

Functionally, I think a compression-fit sleeve would eliminate the armhole as a grabbing point for holders and tacklers, making it a great thing for offenses.

There's no functional need for sleeves...

Functionally, I think a compression-fit sleeve would eliminate the armhole as a grabbing point for holders and tacklers, making it a great thing for offenses.

Is the hole the grabbing point, or is it the area where the shoulder pad protrudes a bit that gives the defensive players something to grab and in some cases dig up under?

Archived