Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

Functionally, I think a compression-fit sleeve would eliminate the armhole as a grabbing point for holders and tacklers, making it a great thing for offenses.
Is the hole the grabbing point, or is it the area where the shoulder pad protrudes a bit that gives the defensive players something to grab and in some cases dig up under?

Yes but you have to realize that the the actual pad that is supposed to protect the shoulder is what causes the jersey's to push out and abled to be grabed. The top shelf of the pads are primarily for the collarbone/sternum area and they are supposed to extend to the outside of your shoulder. The shoulder cup connects underneath this section and hangs down on the outside of the arm and when a jersey is placed over and worn, it causes the jersey to protrude outwards thus being able to be grabbed. There is a video of Earl Campbell losing his 'tear-away' jersey by that method and this is one reason why players, mainly RB's, started having trainers sew elastic into their sleeve cuffs. I know because I did it when I played ball in high school. I won't lie, it was nice to wear our jerseys on game day's during school especially if you had 'guns' and the cuffs came in handy to fit in the crease of the shoulder and bicep. I think players today make a big deal out of the jerseys having sleeves, I mean todays players are conditioned to be bigger and stronger so if you get tackled by your jersey, think of it as a means to be quicker!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right, so tight sleeves wouldn't really help the holding "problem".

The only way to eliminate defensive lineman from holding and tossing offensive linemen is to grease up the OL before the game. Seriously - make them slippery as all hell. Or Nike can invent some kind of new fabric that's warm, durable, and has absolutely no friction so it's basically like wearing ice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The only way to eliminate defensive lineman from holding and tossing offensive linemen is to grease up the OL before the game.

Greased hogs!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The only way to eliminate defensive lineman from holding and tossing offensive linemen is to grease up the OL before the game. Seriously - make them slippery as all hell. Or Nike can invent some kind of new fabric that's warm, durable, and has absolutely no friction so it's basically like wearing ice.

Heh, I still have fond/jacked up memories of one game between the Buccaneers and Lions back around '93 or '94, somewhere in there, in which the Buccaneers' defense swore up and down that Barry Sanders had sprayed himself down with silicon because he was so hard to tackle. :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I know players like Dave Casper used to use 'stickum' on their hands to grip the ball better. ESPN did a set where old players like Deacon Jones and Dick Butkus talked about the ways they used to 'gear up' to play games to literally put people out of games. Things like sewing metal plates into those old style arm/hand pads that linebackers and defensive ends used to wear. But like you said Buc, RB's started using hair spray to coat their jerseys so tacklers couldn't grab which eventually led to more jersey grabbing and to the point of ultra tight ass jerseys sans sleeves, like we have today! In all honesty I can agree with many that the game has truly become pussyfied in respect to what grown ass men moan and bitch about when getting paid millions! I don't want to hear about your career not lasting long, that's why you retire and live nice if you don't blow your earnings on bull :censored:. I respect older players much more because they played real football and although many are seriously damaged, you don't hear most of them complaining like today's athletes. Can you imagine a Jack Lambert getting paid 3.5m a year bussin' heads and complaining about having to wear an under armour sleeved shirt!

Here is a link to my concepts of some NFL teams including the Bills

CONCEPT81: Big Dub Takes Over The NFL!

Three minor changes that would make all the difference for the Bills uniforms.

1. Blue facemask, duh.

2. Change numbers to royal with navy trim then red trim (Away) and white with navy trim then red trim (Home)

3. Taper the pant stripe the same way the helmet stripe is tapered, wider at one end than the other.

Probably wide at top and thin at knee is best, but vice versa could also work.

NOW 3 more that would make them AMAZING!!

1. Blue pants (with red stripe and navy then white trim.) though I like the white on white on white

look so the blue pants are not essential for me.

2. Adjust the angle of the sleeve/shoulder stripes so that they are more level than angled.

3. Replace the pant logo and back logo with a true secondary logo, perhaps the standing buffalo or, even better,

a modernized version of the old logo of the bison and RB set inside a football. You know what I mean.

I still would give the currents a solid A-, perhaps creeping towards the A. I think if they did my first 3 I would give them an A already, the next 3 are just extras.

Official "Bummer" from Bills' team journalist Chris Brown regarding the blue pants on his 'Fan Friday' column. I just wish they would explain WHY the blue pants won't be an option. I know players like Stevie Johnson were disappointed in no blue pants. Did they look like :censored: during the high definition tv player testing? Is Russ Brandon a moron? Are they afraid they will wind up slipping into monochrome again at home? Are they just messing with us? Who knows?!?!

Do I gotta be the a-hole that starts the "Bring Back the Blue Pants" Buffalo Bills facebook page?!?

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/07/01/fan-friday-7-1/

1 – Chris,

Could you clear up some confusion on the part of Bills fans? Many fans have said on the message boards that blue pants are going to be used but just weren’t ready for the recent unveiling.

Hopefully that’s true (although hard to believe they wouldn’t be ready) as I think the blue pants with white tops looks 100% better than white on white (“long underwear” look IMHO). Please clear this up once and for all for all of the fans, the majority of which seem to want the blue pants also. 9 years of white on white was enough!

Thanks,

Gary

CB: What I have been told by our people at One Bills Drive is the following. The away uniform in 2011 will feature white pants with a white jersey.

Three minor changes that would make all the difference for the Bills uniforms.

1. Blue facemask, duh.

2. Change numbers to royal with navy trim then red trim (Away) and white with navy trim then red trim (Home)

3. Taper the pant stripe the same way the helmet stripe is tapered, wider at one end than the other.

Probably wide at top and thin at knee is best, but vice versa could also work.

NOW 3 more that would make them AMAZING!!

1. Blue pants (with red stripe and navy then white trim.) though I like the white on white on white

look so the blue pants are not essential for me.

2. Adjust the angle of the sleeve/shoulder stripes so that they are more level than angled.

3. Replace the pant logo and back logo with a true secondary logo, perhaps the standing buffalo or, even better,

a modernized version of the old logo of the bison and RB set inside a football. You know what I mean.

I still would give the currents a solid A-, perhaps creeping towards the A. I think if they did my first 3 I would give them an A already, the next 3 are just extras.

Just give me blue pants. That will make me a happy boy.

I SECOND THAT EMOTION... BLUE PANTS PLEASE!!!

can anyone confirm or deny their existence?

That was done earlier in this thread by that feller with the motorcycle avatar ;)

Page 68

Post 1343

Here's the link that'll take you directly to that page ...

BILLS blue pants link-smiley.gif

Paul Lukas who writes the 'Uni Watch' column for ESPN wrote in his column that he has a hunch the Bills will roll out some blue pants at some point this fall, as a 'surprise' move' ...

Uni Watch on the BILLS' new look link-smiley.gif

Maybe what I'm envisioning isn't coming across to you guys as intended. So picture this:

Joseph-Addai.jpg

As an offensive lineman, I could easily latch on to both those arm holes from the front and grab the chest plate of the shoulder pads, which is a legal blocking technique (it only becomes holding once I grab something outside that chest area, like if I try to hook an arm, for example, as he's attempting to move past me).

As a tackler, Those enormous holes are very easy to latch onto from the front, side, even behind, as compared to the tight fabric on the body of the jersey that sits very close to the skin. All I have to do is get a hand around him and try to catch my fingers inside that hole and I should have a clean grasp. It's the same philosophy behind the horse-collar tackle; it's very easy to rake your hand across the players back, get your fingers inside the neckhole, and grab the shoulder pad back there to bring the player down. This kind of stuff makes a tacklers job easier. Coincidentally or not, that particular technique is now illegal, but those big armholes allow the same technique to be used on the arms of a runner.

Now, take the shrink-wrap material and fit of the photo above and apply it to a jersey with a forearm or elbow-length sleeve:

JimBrown1.jpg

Todays pads are thinner, and the fit would be snug to the skin all the way around, which eliminates the armhole as a grabbing point for blocking (there's little chance of being able to just grab a handful of the jersey, given the snug fit to the body, and there's no hole to stick your fingers through to latch onto the chest plate of the shoulder pads). Likewise, as a defender, you could no longer latch onto that armhole to bring the runner down from any angle in most instances. The fit is just too tight to get any substantial leverage on it, whereas the gaping armhole provides the perfect scenario; it's wide open and allows easy access to something solid for grabbing, that being the pads.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Geeze ,,, even Fred Jackson's didn't go to the extreme that Joseph Addai's did (I have to wonder if that one was Photoshopped), the NFL shield is REALLY way below the centre of the collar on the Addai photo ....

Either way, that's insane and should be outlawed in the NFL uniform code, enough is enough with this excess sleeve shortening.

09000d5d812a144d_gallery_600.jpg

Geeze ,,, even Fred Jackson's didn't go to the extreme that Joseph Addai's did (I have to wonder if that one was Photoshopped), the NFL shield is REALLY way below the centre of the collar on the Addai photo ....

Either way, that's insane and should be outlawed in the NFL uniform code, enough is enough with this excess sleeve shortening.

09000d5d812a144d_gallery_600.jpg

The jersey shown here is a standard jersey. The one Addai is wearing is Reebok's new model, which is basically the same as adidas' TechFit jersey. The Giants wear them, and we've also seen members of the Colts, Jaguars, Packers and Bengals wear them at times.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

THIS uniform with the 2011 helmet would've been a work of art. Oh well, still 100000% better than their previous nightmare.

It's amazing how many others have said pretty much the exact same thing about those white 2009's on both of the BILLS 2 main chat boards....

09000d5d812a1f8f_gallery_600.jpg

THIS uniform with the 2011 helmet would've been a work of art. Oh well, still 100000% better than their previous nightmare.

It's amazing how many others have said pretty much the exact same thing about those white 2009's on both of the BILLS 2 main chat boards....

It's really not amazing at all, people like old crap, and that is old crap.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Well, when the old crap is so much better-looking than the new crap, such a reaction is to be expected.

Amen, not sure why he used the term "crap" to describe the Bills' previous alternate uni. Crap perfectly fits the Jim Kelly and Drew Bledsoe era uni's. I think the Kelly era is a perfect example of how a certain color combination can look horrible for one team (Bills).....

thurman_thomas--nfl_large_580_1000.jpg

.....yet look perfect when that exact uniform is presented in different colors (Chiefs, Redskins, and 1985-1995 Browns)

a_hall_il.jpg

Clinton-Portis.jpg

eric-metcalf-cleveland-browns-autographed-photograph-3367471.jpg

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Archived