Bills confirm new uniform for 2011

Nick in England

Not sure when these were taken. Probably December, 1973.

Yeap, taken on ... 2-December-1973

BILLS @ ATL FALCONS ..... BILLS won 17-6

2nd straight win on the way to winning their final 4 games and a 9-5 finish ... just missing the playoffs

Nice pics ..... thanks for posting those. That was the first season we wore blue pants on the road, and last year of the grazing Bison logo. I was a little kid and had no idea we were going to blue pants that season.

When we opened the season at Schaefer Stadum against the PATRIOTS and when I saw those pants I about died! Looked so awesome :grin:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleveland+Browns+v+Green+Bay+Packers+q9MyfYdcTjwl.jpg

thats got to be one of my top 5 favorite uniforms ever. i love the brown pants

They need stripes. The socks, jersey, and helmet all have stripes, the pants seem to stick out because they lack them.

i like the simplicity. if there were stripes it would be different from the jersey and socks, and even helmet. to keep it simple and not have a bunch of different stripe patterns going through it i believe was the best move.

I'm in this boat as well. The solid brown pants are a nice place for the eye to rest whilst looking at such a stripe-heavy uniform. There's nothing that could be added that would coordinate all that great with the rest of the uniform (a white and orange stripe would stick out like a sore thumb on this uniform, but not so much if paired with the brown jersey). Aesthetically, I think that's the reason orange pants work so well for the Browns, but I also like the white pants just as much, if not more. They shouldn't work for me, but they just do. I had no problem with the brown pants, though.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

They're also featured in Madden, so that would suggest that they would exist. (IIRC, Madden no longer features fashion jerseys, so every uniform option in the game actually exists in real life.)

bills2012-450x234.jpg

No offense Lights Out, but EA Sports would be the last source I'd ever trust for what teams will actually wear in this upcoming NFL season. I mean we are talking about the same game company that infamously showed the Bengals with Bronco-lettering and numbers during a presentation of Madden 2006 for the 360, and was changed at the last moment due to the outcry. Or the fact, they gave the Vikings purple pants in the 2009 version for their default away uniform set, even though it should be a part of their alternate away uniform set.

It's a shame the Bills didn't look at bringing back the blue pants with that set. It was definitely a lost opportunity to really make the away uniforms look even better, but perhaps that's a trend that died back in the mid 1990's.

For the millionth time, there ARE blue pants. They just were not shown at the unveiling, but there are blue pants. Many here with the knowledge have confirmed this.

I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not interested in hearsay.

They're in the official 2011 Style Guide, for what that's worth.

Then again, so were two different designs of Jaguars' Teal pants that were never worn...

Well didn't the Anaheim Ducks say they were going to go green, before suddenly changing to black at the last moment? I'm not trying to say people here are full of crap, but I'll believe it, once the Bills trot out on the road with blue pants, instead of another bland all-white look.

I'm in this boat as well. The solid brown pants are a nice place for the eye to rest whilst looking at such a stripe-heavy uniform. There's nothing that could be added that would coordinate all that great with the rest of the uniform (a white and orange stripe would stick out like a sore thumb on this uniform, but not so much if paired with the brown jersey). Aesthetically, I think that's the reason orange pants work so well for the Browns, but I also like the white pants just as much, if not more. They shouldn't work for me, but they just do. I had no problem with the brown pants, though.

Very well said. I completely agree.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Cleveland+Browns+v+Green+Bay+Packers+q9MyfYdcTjwl.jpg

thats got to be one of my top 5 favorite uniforms ever. i love the brown pants

They need stripes. The socks, jersey, and helmet all have stripes, the pants seem to stick out because they lack them.

i like the simplicity. if there were stripes it would be different from the jersey and socks, and even helmet. to keep it simple and not have a bunch of different stripe patterns going through it i believe was the best move.

I disagree completely. To me, he plain brown pants look like something they grabbed last second off the rack, just to test out the look. An orange-white-orange strip would complete the look amazingly.

Plus, as I always say, pants with stripes have the added plus of looking like something an NFL team would wear. Always a benefit for an actual NFL team.

Plus, as I always say, pants with stripes have the added plus of looking like something an NFL team would wear. Always a benefit for an actual NFL team.

Yes, because all 32 teams have to look the same in the No Fun League/No Innovation League.

Not everyone needs to look like they did when we were watching football in 1974.

Yes, because all 32 teams have to look the same in the No Fun League/No Innovation League.

Not everyone needs to look like they did when we were watching football in 1974.

Totally dood. The best possible design is when it looks like the team ordered plain pants out of the Eastbay catalogue. Otherwise you look like you are from a random year such as 1974. :rolleyes:

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Then again, so were two different designs of Jaguars' Teal pants that were never worn...

Well didn't the Anaheim Ducks say they were going to go green, before suddenly changing to black at the last moment? I'm not trying to say people here are full of crap, but I'll believe it, once the Bills trot out on the road with blue pants, instead of another bland all-white look.

The Ducks didn't list their new green look in the official style guide... bad argument

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I disagree completely. To me, he plain brown pants look like something they grabbed last second off the rack, just to test out the look. An orange-white-orange strip would complete the look amazingly.

If you create a mock-up Browns uniform with stripes on the brown pants, you'll see that it creates a mess of unorganized stripes everywhere (latitude stripes on the helmet, longitude stripes on the sleeves and socks, and latitude stripes on the pants). No thank you. The solid look also doesn't look right on the Saints and Ravens because they use solid blank socks which creates the coined "leotard" look. The Browns tried this pairing during the 2008 preseason game and it looked horrible. Having a bright white jersey with longitude stripes and the exact matching socks looks great against the contrast of their solid brown pants. It gives them a classic gridiron look. I believe the Browns are the only team to use the solid pants with contrasting striped socks....both unique and visually appeasing.

brownpants2.jpg

brownpants1.jpg

The whites socks completey change how solid colored pants look and it works!

Oh no...Browns talk on the Bills thread again haha :P

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

The Ducks didn't list their new green look in the official style guide... bad argument

On-Field Guide:

BuffaloBills_PAN1a_2011-9999_SCC_SRGB.png

hes not saying everyone needs to look the same, but in his opinion, stripes are appropriate for the design as it gives a professional look/feel to the uniform.

im sticking with Johnny and Andrew here, and the point about the white striped socks i feel is right on. theres not too much color anywhere, its a nice balance.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

If you create a mock-up Browns uniform with stripes on the brown pants, you'll see that it creates a mess of unorganized stripes everywhere (latitude stripes on the helmet, longitude stripes on the sleeves and socks, and latitude stripes on the pants). No thank you. The solid look also doesn't look right on the Saints and Ravens is because they use solid blank socks which creates the coined "leotard" look. The Browns tried this pairing during the 2008 preseason game and it looked horrible. Having a bright white jersey with longitude stripes and the exact matching socks looks great against the contrast of their solid brown pants. It gives them a classic gridiron look. I believe the Browns are the only team to use the solid pants with contrasting striped socks....both unique and visually appeasing.

I disagree 100%. Matching stripes on the jerseys and sock and matching stripes on the helmets and pants are a classic football look. It is the aesthetic of football. If a team went with vertical striped socks (hi, Broncos) or horizontal striped, pants, it would look like crap. However, it is accepted in football that pants should have vertical stripes and socks can (and almost always should) have horitzonal stripes. I don't buy the vizual reprieve argument. How are the white pants okay to be striped but the brown ones aren't? In my opinion, it comes down to this: pants should be designed. If the designer can't come up with a striping pattern to fit with the jersey, he isn't very good at his job. It is inexcusable that teams like the Rams, Ravens (who has a perfect set of black pants in the second generation look) and the Saints (who also had a better set of black pants previously) wear uniforms that look like the equipment manager pulled pants off a rack and slapped a patch on.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I gotta agree. There are very few instances (Notre Dame) when plain pants look good. Plain + brown looks, well, :censored:ty. I agree with those who say the Orange-white-orange is the best look, followed closely by the Orange-white-white. Not a fan of the brown pants with or without stripes, but without is definitely the worst (again, in my opinion.) It is what I would expect from Bowling Green in the 1990's not a pro team in the 2010's.

And I hate, hate, hate the Saints, Jags & Ravens all black leotard look. The Ravens used to have amazing black pants with a white stripe (simple but strong) and both the saints and Jags had good pants without resorting to all black.

No team with metallic gold or silver pants really needs to have an alternate, it goes just as well with white jerseys as it does with dark jerseys. Thank you Oakland Raiders, among others.

I didn't like the Ravens' black pants with just a white stripe (though it would be load better than solid black). Here is the perfect set of pants for them to wear on the road:72546634.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDACCA3E83050C36B5702C1A6AC49E23BEB9937951EF3C3E15F06BF04B24B4128C

Paired with these socks:

237336.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD80EF0CD78F9E88977241FE65AEED301E0ED13535615176A6

That would be one of the best looks in football. Of course, those pants should only be worn with the white jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

If you create a mock-up Browns uniform with stripes on the brown pants, you'll see that it creates a mess of unorganized stripes everywhere (latitude stripes on the helmet, longitude stripes on the sleeves and socks, and latitude stripes on the pants). No thank you. The solid look also doesn't look right on the Saints and Ravens is because they use solid blank socks which creates the coined "leotard" look. The Browns tried this pairing during the 2008 preseason game and it looked horrible. Having a bright white jersey with longitude stripes and the exact matching socks looks great against the contrast of their solid brown pants. It gives them a classic gridiron look. I believe the Browns are the only team to use the solid pants with contrasting striped socks....both unique and visually appeasing.

I disagree 100%. Matching stripes on the jerseys and sock and matching stripes on the helmets and pants are a classic football look. It is the aesthetic of football. If a team went with vertical striped socks (hi, Broncos) or horizontal striped, pants, it would look like crap. However, it is accepted in football that pants should have vertical stripes and socks can (and almost always should) have horitzonal stripes. I don't buy the vizual reprieve argument. How are the white pants okay to be striped but the brown ones aren't? In my opinion, it comes down to this: pants should be designed. If the designer can't come up with a striping pattern to fit with the jersey, he isn't very good at his job. It is inexcusable that teams like the Rams, Ravens (who has a perfect set of black pants in the second generation look) and the Saints (who also had a better set of black pants previously) wear uniforms that look like the equipment manager pulled pants off a rack and slapped a patch on.

the stripes as you described are indeed a traditional, timeless football element, but i dont think every team NEEDS to go with that template. not even the Browns. and the contrast is appealing to me, as well as giving them somthing unique. go back and read some of the previous comments; 1 of the main reasons for striping the white pants and not browns is having consistency in the uniform. striping the brown pants would introduce a 3rd stripe pattern, which i think is too much. another is "color balance". not striping the white pants leaves a LOT of 1 color (white). thers also the visual weight theory, where dark colored objects appear heavier and smaller than light colored objects. having a strong dark base (the pants) is much more appealing, supporting the weight of the player.

your comment about "pants being designed" is mind boggling. these brown pants are designed. choosing NOT to add stripes is as an important design decision as doing anything any other team has done with stripes, texture, or logos.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Is it me or does it seem like the socks with the white at the top were clearly meant to go with blue pants? They seem completely unnecessary otherwise.

I thought you might have something there .... but then I checked out to see how the NY Jets do their socks with their combinations, and when they wear white on white their socks are dominantly white with only 2 green stripes as you can see ... They only wear more green at top of socks with green jersey / white pants combo.

So I guess when the BILLS wear the white jerseys / white pants with those socks being mostly white as shown in that military photo, that is the look, they go with either pants ... but damn that's alot of white ...

09000d5d81b42888_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81ade47a_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81db9817_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81d61b7b_gallery_600.jpg

the stripes as you described are indeed a traditional, timeless football element, but i dont think every team NEEDS to go with that template. not even the Browns. and the contrast is appealing to me, as well as giving them somthing unique. go back and read some of the previous comments; 1 of the main reasons for striping the white pants and not browns is having consistency in the uniform. striping the brown pants would introduce a 3rd stripe pattern, which i think is too much. another is "color balance". not striping the white pants leaves a LOT of 1 color (white). thers also the visual weight theory, where dark colored objects appear heavier and smaller than light colored objects. having a strong dark base (the pants) is much more appealing, supporting the weight of the player.

your comment about "pants being designed" is mind boggling. these brown pants are designed. choosing NOT to add stripes is as an important design decision as doing anything any other team has done with stripes, texture, or logos.

I see the point you are making, but let's look at the brown jersey/white pants set. The pants introduce a striping pattern not seen anywhere else. By that line of thinking, the pants should be solid white, correct?

As for the last part, I disagree. Designing solid colored pants isn't designing, it's a cop-out. The players look like kids on Halloween - Mom couldn't find the right pants so they wore a plain pair from Sportmart. There has to be a way to incorporate some kind of striping pattern into a pants and have them go with the jersey. The Rams' gold pants are a cop out. The Ravens and Saints have striped normal pants (incorrectly striped in the Saints' case as it should match the helmet), but go with solid black pants for no good reason. As bad as I think the Falcons and Cardinals sets are, they at least have some kind of design on the pants.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Is it me or does it seem like the socks with the white at the top were clearly meant to go with blue pants? They seem completely unnecessary otherwise.

I thought you might have something there .... but then I checked out to see how the NY Jets do their socks with their combinations, and when they wear white on white their socks are dominantly white with only 2 green stripes as you can see ... They only wear more green at top of socks with green jersey / white pants combo.

So I guess when the BILLS wear the white jerseys / white pants with those socks being mostly white as shown in that military photo, that is the look, they go with either pants ... but damn that's alot of white ...

09000d5d81b42888_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81ade47a_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81db9817_gallery_600.jpg

09000d5d81d61b7b_gallery_600.jpg

I hate that white pants with white socks look almost as much as I hate the dark pants / dark socks look.

Well... almost.

Archived