2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

As for Thome, I think he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame (assuming he's clean of course) 600 HR is nothing to scoff at. There are fewer people in the 600HR club than the 3000 hit club, 3000K club and 300 win club. I'm sure there are members of those clubs that didn't exactly have spectacular single seasons, but over the course of their careers, have been consistent performers. I think Thome fits that mould.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Jim Thome hit 600 home runs with no link to PED's, to me it is absurd that there is even discussion over whether or not he's a first ballot hall of famer. This guy is so underrated just because of media-whores like A-rod, Jeter, Sammy Sosa, etc taking the spotlight in his era of play. Since he hit all of his homeruns quietly, without feuding with teamates, saying controversial things to the media, being the center of attention, people don't remember him as much as some other players of the era, and people tend to translate that to he never being the best player of his era.

Jim Thome showed up every day, and quietly played the game- better than most. Hitting 600 home runs without connection to PED's is something that only 5 other guys have done.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

After Jim Thome hit 600 home runs with no link to PED's, to me it is absurd that there is even discussion over whether or not he's a first ballot hall of famer. This guy is so underrated just because of media-whores like A-rod, Jeter, Sammy Sosa, etc taking the spotlight in his era of play. Since he hit all of his homeruns quietly, without feuding with teamates, saying controversial things to the media, being the center of attention, people don't remember him as much as some other players of the era, and people tend to translate that to he never being the best player of his era.

Jim Thome showed up every day, and quietly played the game- better than most. Hitting 600 home runs without connection to PED's is something that only 5 other guys have done.

What has Jeter possibly done to be labeled a media whore? Did he interrupt a Home Run Derby by walking across the field in the middle of Josh Hamilton's performance like David Ortiz did? Do the media cover Jeter way to much? Absolutely, but that isn't Jeter's fault. The guy doesn't even do interviews other than after a game, which he is obligated to do. Why do you think everyone was so surprised he agreed to do that special with HBO?

Honestly, I thought he had retired years ago.

He'll make the Hall as 600HR's is hall-worthy, but that's basically all he's done

Yeah, but that's kind of a lot.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sorry, can't put Thome in the hall. We're not 100% sure that he didn't use steroids - shame he's playing in this era.

I know this is your normal troll routine, but Thome is one of three players from that era I can say definitively, without a shadow of a doubt didn't do steroids. Thome, Ken Griffey, Jr. and Frank Thomas were all 100% clean. Congrats to Thome. Whether or not he was the dominating presence others were, hitting 600 really means something. He absolutely deserves to enter the hall of fame.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Sorry, can't put Thome in the hall. We're not 100% sure that he didn't use steroids - shame he's playing in this era.

I know this is your normal troll routine, but Thome is one of three players from that era I can say definitively, without a shadow of a doubt didn't do steroids. Thome, Ken Griffey, Jr. and Frank Thomas were all 100% clean. Congrats to Thome. Whether or not he was the dominating presence others were, hitting 600 really means something. He absolutely deserves to enter the hall of fame.

How?

It would be nice to think that this is true and I hope it is. If I had a vote, I'd vote for all three as they don't really have ties, but they'll definitely lose some votes.

What really bugs me is that 'roids are about more than homers. They are about recovering from injury/workouts, etc. An early PED case was the Canadian Olympian in 1988 and he did not need what sluggers need. If we are going to project this on Thome, etc., then how about Jeter, Cal Ripken, pitchers, etc. Playing every day like Ripken takes its toll and I am sure some PEDs would have helped...but we don't care about that. We don't care about pitchers. We don't care about other sports like football. We care about home runs.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

How?

It would be nice to think that this is true and I hope it is. If I had a vote, I'd vote for all three as they don't really have ties.

"Frank Thomas was clean." :lol:

BTW, you left out Jeff Bagwell. He, Big Hurt, Griffey and Thome all sputtered once steroid testing came into effect.

6uXNWAo.png

How?

It would be nice to think that this is true and I hope it is. If I had a vote, I'd vote for all three as they don't really have ties.

BTW, you left out Jeff Bagwell. He, Big Hurt, Griffey and Thome all sputtered once steroid testing came into effect.

yeah, because their age had nothing to do with it.

How?

Yes, Frank Thomas was clean. He was an All-American tight end at Auburn and was always huge. As Frank said in an interview, "My whole family's big. My sister is over 300 pounds." Look at his rookie pictures. He was a mountain of a man. He filled out a little with muscle, but he mostly got fat. He complained about rampant steroid use in the '90s, but it fell on deaf ears. A reporter (I think from Toronto) mentioned after the fact that Thomas complained to him in the mid '90s that nothing was being done about steroids, he said it was known about and everyone looked the other way. He was pissed that his accomplishments were overlooked because of the roiders. Thomas orchestrated in 2003 that the White Sox would all decline to take their drug tests, which would put them as a posititive test and cause mandatory testing to kick in the next season (at the time, it would have only kicked in if a certain percentage of players failed). The union stepped in and twisted their arms and the ended up taking it, anyway. Thomas was always open about it. He was one of the few guys who talked with the Mitchell Group in 2004/5 because he was passionate about eliminating steroids. Look at his numbers compared to other hitters before 1990. What he did was historic, yet it was overlooked because a 8 miles north roided to the guild and blew kisses to the camera. He was also a two time MVP who had a third award stolen from him in 2000 by a roid freak in Giambi.

Look at the list of players who hit .300 with 30 homer, 100 BB, 100 RBI and 100 runs scored each of their first 8 seasons. Frank is in good company. He was a great hitter who was powerful, he wasn't a "slugger". While Bonds took steroids to allow him to recover quickly and hit well into his 40s, Thomas wore down because he didn't take them. That's what normally happens. His number started sliding well before testing (2005), anyway. He was a huge man, and it took it's toll on his body. He also hit off of his front foot and was hurt by having problems with that foot in 2004(and he settled a malpractice suit against the docs who treated him, because it caused him to miss the first two and last two months of 2005 after reinjury). So please, if you have even anecdotal evidence that Thomas did steroids, please provide it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, the giambino walked off maybe I should post super negative BBTV-esque comments about the Rockies everyday. Maybe then they would play worth a :censored:.

What does this mean?

This means that when the Phillies do something wrong or have a horrible player you post it on the boards. Correct? i.e. Joe Blanton

The Phillies play well obviously.

The first time I ever post something negative about the Rockies on the boards they have their first walk-off homer of the year.

Maybe your whole complaining about your team formula really works. ;)

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I have my doubts just based on the era. I mean, McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro, Bonds, all tainted by the allegations of steroid use. I honestly can't say anyone from this era is clean, given how prevalent steroids were.

LvZYtbZ.png

What has Jeter possibly done to be labeled a media whore? Did he interrupt a Home Run Derby by walking across the field in the middle of Josh Hamilton's performance like David Ortiz did? Do the media cover Jeter way to much? Absolutely, but that isn't Jeter's fault. The guy doesn't even do interviews other than after a game, which he is obligated to do. Why do you think everyone was so surprised he agreed to do that special with HBO?

I wasn't blaming Jeter for it and I'm not saying David Ortiz isn't one too. Yes the media covers guys like Jeter way too much is what I'm saying while people forget how good Jim Thome is because he has not gotten the media attention that others have. The amount that people talk about you should not determine whether or not you're a hall of famer.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I wasn't blaming Jeter for it and I'm not saying David Ortiz isn't one too. Yes the media covers guys like Jeter way too much is what I'm saying while people forget how good Jim Thome is because he has not gotten the media attention that others have. The amount that people talk about you should not determine whether or not you're a hall of famer.

If what you are saying is sports media is pure garbage, then I agree, but that's not what you said, you called a few players, including Jeter, media whores. A media whore is someone who goes out of there way to get their face on TV and their name in the papers. Jeter is the exact opposite of that. That's all I'm saying.

Then what happens to A-Rod when he's all said and done. Does he not go into the Hall of Fame because he admitted PED use. Jim Thome's been clean all this time, who cares if he wasn't "The best on his team" not every hall of famer has to be the best on his team to go in.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Honestly, I thought he had retired years ago.

He'll make the Hall as 600HR's is hall-worthy, but that's basically all he's done

Yeah, but that's kind of a lot.

I just like to think of players in the HOF being great at more than one aspect of the game. I know that's not the case, though.

Manchester-City-icon.png

If what you are saying is sports media is pure garbage, then I agree, but that's not what you said, you called a few players, including Jeter, media whores. A media whore is someone who goes out of there way to get their face on TV and their name in the papers. Jeter is the exact opposite of that. That's all I'm saying.

You took that way too personal.

Also, who's to say Thome wouldn't have been the best on his team had others not taken steroids? I'm not calling out specific players, but we all know that some of those players who were better than Thome were most likely on the juice.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

You took that way too personal.

No I didn't, I simply challenged a clear falsehood.

Jim Thome's been clean all this time

Why don't we just ask Jose Canseco if Thome juiced or not? He's still batting 1.000 when it comes to snitchin' out cheats.

(And FTR, Canseco is just as Hall of Fame worthy as Thome, if not more.)

6uXNWAo.png

Archived