2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

You guys are picking 2 honestly borderline calls.

I'll agree those 2 were close.

Try again.

Just to demonstrate just 2 of the easily accessable bad called strike 3's, I took the liberty of bringing them DIRECTLY to you. No effort needed!

http://yfrog.com/h7jilup

http://yfrog.com/h3d6pip

Really, no one cares.

Baseball fans care.

Well, at least real baseball fans.

Although I don't totally get what these pics prove. Where a ball is caught is not necessarily an indicator of whether it is a strike. Hell, a ball can bounce in front of the catcher and still be a strike.

But I didn't see this game so I can't really comment further.

If you go check the highlights on MLB.com all of his strikeouts are there. Those 2 were just little league quality calls. Paused when glove was closed; no movement.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try again.

Just to demonstrate just 2 of the easily accessable bad called strike 3's, I took the liberty of bringing them DIRECTLY to you. No effort needed!

Really, no one cares.

If this was the lounge or whatever this would be a correct statement.

But it's the MLB thread.

Or you don't care because you don't care. It was a awfully called game. Whether you care or not.

You've made your point that you think the game was poorly officiated, which is cool, but you won't let up until you convince others that the Indians were screwed over. Besides Indians fans who can't get over the fact that they lost yesterday and need to blame it on something besides their mediocre lineup, no one really cares.

SP

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

lol.

We've got a good enough line up and offense to still come back from these awful calls. It's cute that you called it mediocre though. Gold star for vocabulary!

The Indians are still in the hunt, still over .500, and still in contention.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

Try again.

Really, no one cares.

Baseball fans care.

Well, at least real baseball fans.

Although I don't totally get what these pics prove. Where a ball is caught is not necessarily an indicator of whether it is a strike. Hell, a ball can bounce in front of the catcher and still be a strike.

But I didn't see this game so I can't really comment further.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Those pics that you posted show where the catcher caught the ball, but it is impossible to tell from those pictures where the ball crossed the plate. The first picture looks like it might've been a little bit low, I'll give you that one, but the second picture shows a very close pitch. I'd be worrying more that those hitters aren't protecting the plate with two strikes than the calls the umpire made. If they swing and foul those pitches off, they don't leave the rest of their at-bat in the hands of the umpire. Its as simple as that.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

The arguments against the bigger rotation seem to all be around keeping them in their rhythm between starts. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is though, but I'm sure that's their big concern.

As a manager I would be willing to put trust in guys like Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt and Lee to basically just set their own schedulue for a month or two.

If you feel like you need to get the work in, pitch. If you don't then don't bother and we'll skip you and you can come back in a day or two.

These are all guys who have been around long enough to where they should know exactly what they have to do in order to be ready for October.

Those are all pitches you should be swinging on with 2 strikes. Sorry, I'll say it again, the umpiring didn't cost the Indians the game. Had they not committed the error that led to the unearned run (this club's biggest problem, mind you), there would have never been extra innings.

Additionally, you don't give up 22 hits (of which 14 hits were in the first 9 innings) and expect to win the game while having 10 hits period yourself. You needed multiple double plays to work out of jams in the extra innings, and Jimenez's inability to get through 5 aided to the cause of the Tribe losing this game.

Also, said "controversial tag play" didn't hurt the Indians at all, actually. The run didn't score. Stop bitching about the umpires and realize the Indians were grossly outplayed and didn't deserve to even get to the extra sessions.

6fQjS3M.png

Those are all pitches you should be swinging on with 2 strikes. Sorry, I'll say it again, the umpiring didn't cost the Indians the game. Had they not committed the error that led to the unearned run (this club's biggest problem, mind you), there would have never been extra innings.

Additionally, you don't give up 22 hits (of which 14 hits were in the first 9 innings) and expect to win the game while having 10 hits period yourself. You needed multiple double plays to work out of jams in the extra innings, and Jimenez's inability to get through 5 aided to the cause of the Tribe losing this game.

Also, said "controversial tag play" didn't hurt the Indians at all, actually. The run didn't score. Stop bitching about the umpires and realize the Indians were grossly outplayed and didn't deserve to even get to the extra sessions.

Nope. I disagree. The Indians were outcalled.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

The arguments against the bigger rotation seem to all be around keeping them in their rhythm between starts. I'm not sure how big of a deal that is though, but I'm sure that's their big concern.

As a manager I would be willing to put trust in guys like Halladay, Hamels, Oswalt and Lee to basically just set their own schedulue for a month or two.

If you feel like you need to get the work in, pitch. If you don't then don't bother and we'll skip you and you can come back in a day or two.

These are all guys who have been around long enough to where they should know exactly what they have to do in order to be ready for October.

Those are all guys (and I never thought I'd say this about Hemels, but 2011 is different than 2009) that would pitch every single day if you let them. The manager / coaches need to solicit their input, but then decide what's best for them.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

Try again.

Really, no one cares.

This may sound shocking to you, but just because something doesn't have to do with the Yankees doesn't mean that no one cares about it.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Try again.

Really, no one cares.

This may sound shocking to you, but just because something doesn't have to do with the Yankees doesn't mean that no one cares about it.

psst, I don't think it has anything to do with the Yankees. It has everything to do with his massive overhomerism. So in all No One Cares!

Try again.

Really, no one cares.

psst, I don't think it has anything to do with the Yankees. It has everything to do with his massive overhomerism. So in all No One Cares!

My 12 Year Old Playground Self Is deeply hurt By Your Words.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

This Mathis fetish that Scioscia has is so weird. Is it that he was a catcher himself, so he has some kind of sentiment for a catcher with good defense? So much that he can overlook an almost complete lack of offense? What is it?

If the Indians getting absolutely jobbed can hush the White Sox' neverending umpire persecution complex for the rest of the summer, it was so totally worth it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Indians had 10 hits. The White Sox 22. The Indians were outplayed. Deal with it and stop your bitching, please.

6fQjS3M.png

The Indians had 10 hits. The White Sox 22. The Indians were outplayed. Deal with it and stop your bitching, please.

Quit calling it bitching. There's logic to the anger regarding the hilariously bad calls.

Quit being an :censored:.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

Quit calling it bitching. There's logic to the anger regarding the hilariously bad calls.

Quit being an :censored:.

Here's the strikezone map from brooks last night.

They both look like bad calls, but only one was egregious. That outside strike gets called on just about any lefty in the league, regardless of team.

qu3j8.gif

I have definitely seen a lot :censored:ing worse.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived