2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

And this is the downside of the "mega thread".

It's no big deal. We'll be back on topic before you know it because of what happens in tonight's games, or tomorrow's games, or whatever. Which is actually the upside of the "mega thread."

I dunno. It's gotten to the point where there needs to be a Cleveland NBA and MLB thread, and then an "everyone else" NBA and MLB thread. Sizemore, Infrared, and Mccarthy can post in the "everyone else" thread if they wish. Maybe a couple of others too, if they apply for and are granted a waiver.

If you would kindly explain why posting baseball related topics in the baseball thread is wrong, then please do so.

More or less, it's the fact that we don't care to hear about every little thing that's going on about every (or in this case, one particular) team. Simply and bluntly put, if you want to talk about one team all the time, do it somewhere that people care.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More or less, it's the fact that we don't care to hear about every little thing that's going on about every (or in this case, one particular) team. Simply and bluntly put, if you want to talk about one team all the time, do it somewhere that people care.

Simply and bluntly put, if you want to not hear about a baseball team in a baseball topic, do it somewhere that people care.

But here we go again turning into a butthurt fest with people crawling out of the woodwork.

Oh, and bullpen mafia, bitches.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

It's no big deal. We'll be back on topic before you know it because of what happens in tonight's games, or tomorrow's games, or whatever. Which is actually the upside of the "mega thread."

I dunno. It's gotten to the point where there needs to be a Cleveland NBA and MLB thread, and then an "everyone else" NBA and MLB thread. Sizemore, Infrared, and Mccarthy can post in the "everyone else" thread if they wish. Maybe a couple of others too, if they apply for and are granted a waiver.

If you would kindly explain why posting baseball related topics in the baseball thread is wrong, then please do so.

It happens around here all the time. I care about what he has to say, and most Indians fans do too. Just because you don't doesn't really matter, ignore him if you want. Do you think I want to read threads were KevinW posts 100 things about Arizona and 100 things against Oregon? Do I want to read Yessir talk about Detoit, Cujo talk about the Jets, no not at all...but it's going to happen and most of the time they have very biased opinions.

Like we've said, start a Cleveland thread if you don't want to read it.

C-Hockey don't speak to fast about the Bullpen mafia, we still got 2 innings left and a very small lead. We NEED Kipnis back fast, no way he would have struck out like Donald with the bases loaded!

Keep the faith, Believeland!

I suspect he was banned from those places.

---------------------------------------------

On topic, I wonder how Tony La Russa is feeling health wise? Might he be slowing down a little? Maybe he has a sore back that needs to be restOH FOR :censored: S SAKE JUST RETIRE ALREADY!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Giants' offense really needs to pick it up. They only...another solid outing by Masterson. And look at Fukudome the powerhouse! That's why we picked him up! Way to hold off the White Sox, guys!

Aaauuuggghhh even I can't escape the Cleveland!!

ClevlandHockey, vmd9, Look.

It's just like Hedley and Shumway said. We don't need a post about every goings on in every single Cleveland game. Yes, this is a baseball thread, and yes, you do happen to be talking about baseball, but this isn't an Indians daily. I'm sure there are plenty of Indians boards that you can talk about the day to day, inning to inning minutiae of the Indians. This is a general MLB thread. We talk about big games, big news, stories, things that provide a greater consequence outside of what happens to our individual team.

And the fact is, because you're "so passionate" and "huge Cleveland fans," you call out or deride other teams and their players (most notably Detroit as of recent), and then we get guys like Yessir coming in response only to "defend his sports town."

Look I have nothing against passionate fans. If you ever met me or look into the NHL thread when the season comes around (or if the Halos were back into the West race <_< ), you'll see that I'm passionate for my teams just as well. But there isn't a need here for the day-to-day nonsense of any particular team.

We got on Dexter for the constant Yankee posts when he made them. We get on Kevin W about Arizona/Anti-Oregon, Lights Out on Boise St/Clippers. We're getting on you guys for the constant Cleveland posts. Hell, back during ASU-Arizona football week, people got on Kevin/Me/Gary even about the ASU-UA chatter.

It happens. We get you guys are passionate, but we don't need to be beaten over the head with Cleveland.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

It's just like Hedley and Shumway said. We don't need a post about every goings on in every single Cleveland game. Yes, this is a baseball thread, and yes, you do happen to be talking about baseball, but this isn't an Indians daily. I'm sure there are plenty of Indians boards that you can talk about the day to day, inning to inning minutiae of the Indians. This is a general MLB thread. We talk about big games, big news, stories, things that provide a greater consequence outside of what happens to our individual team.

And the fact is, because you're "so passionate" and "huge Cleveland fans," you call out or deride other teams and their players (most notably Detroit as of recent), and then we get guys like Yessir coming in response only to "defend his sports town."

Look I have nothing against passionate fans. If you ever met me or look into the NHL thread when the season comes around (or if the Halos were back into the West race <_< ), you'll see that I'm passionate for my teams just as well. But there isn't a need here for the day-to-day nonsense of any particular team.

We got on Dexter for the constant Yankee posts when he made them. We get on Kevin W about Arizona/Anti-Oregon, Lights Out on Boise St/Clippers. We're getting on you guys for the constant Cleveland posts. Hell, back during ASU-Arizona football week, people got on Kevin/Me/Gary even about the ASU-UA chatter.

It happens. We get you guys are passionate, but we don't need to be beaten over the head with Cleveland.

It took about 6 pages for someone to just say that nicely.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

Thank you. I was short 2 ways, on my point earlier, and in time. This is what has been in my mind lately. I'm sorry that I offended people, but I applaud Still MIGHTY for his thought out post.

packchampionslfroh.png

Weekly threads for seasons are much better. Monthly at the most.

I agree totally.

I don't know about that. First of all, we don't need more clutter i.e. threads that die after just a week. Secondly, I don't understand why you think weekly threads won't get off topic, either. A thread is a thread is a thread, and if it's going to get temporarily hijacked then it's going to get temporarily hijacked. If anything I think weekly threads will provide more derailing, because people will just figure that the thread is going to end soon anyway, so why not. At least with a mega-thread, eventually it's going to get back on track because of the next noteworthy thing that happens in the league... which is almost every day.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

That was a booming shot by Trumbo. Wow, what a homerun.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

I think for day to day sports like MLB, NBA and NHL a monthly thread could work than round for round in the playoffs.

As for the NFL they should have a weekly thread.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

After filling their need for a right handed bat in the everyday lineup, the lack of a left handed bat off the bench has quickly become the #1 concern for the Phillies.

Could Jim Thome be that bat??

maybe not... but maybe?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

After filling their need for a right handed bat in the everyday lineup, the lack of a left handed bat off the bench has quickly become the #1 concern for the Phillies.

maybe not... but maybe?

That would be great. I know with the recent homer that we spent a lot of time praising his "character", so I'll just say that I'd love to see him go over there an get a last shot at a ring...yeah he'd be riding coattails, but it's really the only way he could do it by now.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

maybe not... but maybe?

That would be great. I know with the recent homer that we spent a lot of time praising his "character", so I'll just say that I'd love to see him go over there an get a last shot at a ring...yeah he'd be riding coattails, but it's really the only way he could do it by now.

The Phillies current LH bench guy is Ross Gload, who is playing with a torn hip labrum and is really only capable of going up there to swing for the fences, because he can't run anything out. Thome would be an upgrade over that. Also they have to be thinking about who the LH DH would be, assuming that they "platoon" that spot against the AL club in the WS (if they're fortunate enough to get there.)

I didn't like it when Thome was "the guy" because he simply never was "that guy", but he'd be the perfect guy for this role. I wonder if he'd clear waivers though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wonder if he'd clear waivers though.

He would most likely clear waivers. The Sox traded him through waivers to the Dodgers two years ago, and he hasn't improved since then. Only potential playoff teams would claim him and I don't see him as a pressing need for any of those teams.

He didn't really do anything for the Dodgers in the handful of ABs they got him. They picked him up hoping to start him at 1B every few games, but he told them his back was so bad that he couldn't play 1B even in an emergency situation. Also, he is really streaky now. He has a long swing and needs constant AB to be effective. You won't get much out of him giving him a PH every night.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived