2011 MLB Season Thread

Gary

If you believe that you know very little about the baseball writers, who adore him. And the fact is.. 600 home runs, is 600 home runs. 500 I can see.. but not 600.

I don't think he deserves to be in, but I know there's a very good chance he'll get in first ballot. The guy was getting MVP votes just about every single year. Now whether or not he deserved to be getting MVP votes in some of those years is another story (Can start with last year. How he finishes 18th in the MVP voting while driving in 59 runs as a DH, I have no idea) but the fact is writers do love him.

He's also a slugger writers can point to from this era as somebody who "played the game right" meaning he never tested positive. Something they are going to love to do.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Angels middle relievers = :puke:

Garrett Richards strained his groin in the first, and it was all downhill from there.

Beauty of baseball is there's always tomorrow.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Awesome to see Thome get his 600th.

Next stop Cooperstown. With an Indian hat I hope. ^_^

There is 0% chance he is in anything other than an Indian hat.

There is 0% chance he even gets into the Hall, considering he did all this during the "steroid era" and was never the single best player on any of his teams.

If you believe that you know very little about the baseball writers, who adore him. And the fact is.. 600 home runs, is 600 home runs. 500 I can see.. but not 600.

Sammy Sosa has 600+ bombs, and he ain't gettin in anytime soon!

Oh, and there's Barry Bonds, too.

6uXNWAo.png

Awesome to see Thome get his 600th.

Next stop Cooperstown. With an Indian hat I hope. ^_^

There is 0% chance he is in anything other than an Indian hat.

There is 0% chance he even gets into the Hall, considering he did all this during the "steroid era" and was never the single best player on any of his teams.

Sammy Sosa has 600+ bombs, and he ain't gettin in anytime soon!

Oh, and there's Barry Bonds, too.

Dumb comparisons. Unlike Thome, those guys are proven cheaters.

This is all you need to know about Thome and the baseball writers.

thome.jpg

Well, the giambino walked off maybe I should post super negative BBTV-esque comments about the Rockies everyday. Maybe then they would play worth a :censored:.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

But Thome has never been linked with steroids.

Sorry, but after seeing it happen time and time again with Palmeiro, Bonds, A-Rod, etc... "Never cheated" means "Never got caught".

6uXNWAo.png

Sorry, but after seeing it happen time and time again with Palmeiro, Bonds, A-Rod, etc... "Never cheated" means "Never got caught".

That's probably the case which is why I don't hold it against the guys you just mentioned for testing positive.

But that's not the writers attitude which is so no evil hear no evil.

My problem isn't even that Jim Thome got 600 jacks during the "steroid era", but not once was he considered the best player on his team, nor did I ever consider him to be among the league's "elite". The Hall Of Fame should is for players who were the all-time best of the best. Thome just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

6uXNWAo.png

My problem isn't even that Jim Thome got 600 jacks during the "steroid era", but not once was he considered the best player on his team, nor did I ever consider him to be among the league's "elite". The Hall Of Fame should is for players who were the all-time best of the best. Thome just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Who on the 2002 Indians was better than him? or the 2003 Phillies?

The guy is top ten for WAR for position players five times during his career. He was usually not an elite player.

But the writer's answer is going to be he hit 600 home runs clean, so I don't care what other numbers you throw out me. I'm dialing in on that stat, and just ignoring everything else.

Abreu was just as good as Thome on that '03 Phils team -- and perhaps he could've been the player on that rebuilding 2002 Indians team. Says it all right there.

6uXNWAo.png

Abreu was just as good as Thome on that '03 Phils team -- and perhaps he could've been the player on that rebuilding 2002 Indians team. Says it all right there.

Abreu with 27 less home runs, 30 less runs batted in, and a .877 OPS compared to Thome's .958.. you take Abreu, I'll take Thome.

'95, '02 and '03 are Thome's big years without question.

He's leading the league in HR's one year and OPS the other. He's good and in '95 he's a Silver Slugger at 3B. He's damn good in all three year.

Its every other year where he's problems come up. I can look around the league and find much better players any given year.

The biggest drawback I see with Thome at the plarete is strikeouts. In '01 he has top notch numbers in every category but strikeouts, which he just doesen't lead the league in strikeouts, he's far ahead of everyone else. 26 ahead of the next best Ben Grieve. He cuts those strikeouts in half, he's a unreal hitter.

The other problems I see is that he's a defensive liability, plays a power posiition, and he doesen't run. So we are talking about a guy here that needs to be dominating in power stats to be seen as an elite player, and I just don't see that in alot of years. OPS is good, but those strikeouts are a bastard, and he's top ten in RBI's just three times and for a team as good as alot of the teams he played for you can't tell me he's not coming to bat with guys on base. And this someone who's sole purpose on the team is to drive in runs. And he's a good RBI guy, but he's not elite guy in that category and he really has to be for me to say that he's a top notch player.

I look at him as being on par with guys like Fred McGriff and Tony Perez. Three or four really big years and spends the rest of his career being in that second tier of ballplayers. McGriff wasn't as good offensively as Thome, but was a far better defensive player so I feel the two just about even out. Perez isn't quite as good at his peak as Thome was, but he plays longer. (about 800 more PA's)

Perez is in the Hall, McGriff isn't but has alot of support. I really can't go nuts if Thome gets in. He's obviously not the worst guy to be in, but he would be far from the best not to get in.

No talk of this Brewers Triple Play on these boards, for shame. It's not just a homer pick for me. I believe the TP is one of the most obscure and exciting moments in all of sports. Just because some guy named Jim Thome hit something he has 598 times before tonight lol. Also the Brew Crew is one of the hottest teams in the game today.

packchampionslfroh.png

Also the Brew Crew is one of the hottest teams in the game today.

I think the Phillies are going to take the NL pretty easily. I just don't see anyone beating Halladay, Lee and Oswalt more times then they can beat you in a best of 7 or best of 5 series. But if there's one team that might have a shot against them I feel its Milwaukee.

I think the Phillies are going to take the NL pretty easily. I just don't see anyone beating Halladay, Lee and Oswalt more times then they can beat you in a best of 7 or best of 5 series. But if there's one team that might have a shot against them I feel its Milwaukee.

You just might be right. I know it was earlier in the season, not crunch time like now, but the Brewers took 2 of 3 from them back in April with Halliday and Lee as starting pitchers with neither of them getting the win in their perspective starts. Roy got chased with 6 earned Runs allowed too. The Brewers offense is sputtering a bit now over the last 3, but pitching and defense have stepped up quite considerably giving me hope as a fan, that they can keep it up and head into late October/ Early November.

packchampionslfroh.png

You just might be right. I know it was earlier in the season, not crunch time like now, but the Brewers took 2 of 3 from them back in April with Halliday and Lee as starting pitchers with neither of them getting the win in their perspective starts. Roy got chased with 6 earned Runs allowed too. The Brewers offense is sputtering a bit now over the last 3, but pitching and defense have stepped up quite considerably giving me hope as a fan, that they can keep it up and head into late October/ Early November.

I'm just looking around the rest of the National League, and I'm not seeing a whole lot. I'm not buying the Braves at all. The live and die on the long ball more then any other team in baseball. They go cold at the plate I think St. Louis has a real good shot at catching them. And if you look at them all they have been a very streaky team. Not many losing streaks, but wins have been very bunched. Seeing alot of 5+ game winning streks. But that's how they are getting all of their wins. This is not a team that takes 2 out of 3 every single series. This is a team loses two out three in two or three in alot series and then goes on a six game winning streak. And I think the reason for that has been their pitching. Its kept them in close games. But their best starter Tim Hudson is hurting. Tommy Hanson is hurting a bit. Jair Jurrjens is hurt. Derek Lowe looks to be wearing down. That could be a major problem, because if that offense ever goes cold, they're not going to get that one out of three anymore. I think they are the most vunerable.

Arizona is starting to convince me a little more. I said awhile ago that I thought they would keep it close but San Francisco would ultimately overtake. San Franicsco's not looking any better though. They look like they are in a bit of tailspin. Meanwhile Arizona is keeping the pace up. I still wouldn't bet on Arizona but I'm not betting on San Fran either.

Milwaukee is the only other team outside of Philadelphia that I'm convinced will make it to the playoffs at this point and by default I gotta put them as the number two team in the NL.

Well, the giambino walked off maybe I should post super negative BBTV-esque comments about the Rockies everyday. Maybe then they would play worth a :censored:.

What does this mean?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Now that you mention a possible Milwaukee vs Philadelphia match-up... I wonder how many Jays fans would feel about seeing Halladay vs Marcum in the playoffs...

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived