2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing about the current Phillies look is it's dated, the roads especially. White on a road uniform just looks very 80's, it doesn't work anymore. They've got a lot to work with and they're falling short. I've always hoped for a rebrand at some point.

I've never been a fan of the pseudo-matching name/number font. It's adequate for the numbers, but not great, but boy do I hate the lettering. It looks like a very condensed VAG Rounded, which was my typographical arch-nemesis before Comic Sans and Monotype Corsiva descended upon us and wreaked their populist havoc.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That Philadelphia script is horrible. It just doesn't fit on the jersey. A name like Phillies is perfectly fine on the road. As for the white outline, while in general I don't like it on road uniforms, it looks great for the Phillies.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I agree about white working for the Phils. In a perfect world, where their primary color is burgundy/maroon/mulberry/whatever, I don't mind white setting it off from grey (and might not mind grey setting it off from white). Agree to disagree on the city name: I obviously get why some would say Philadelphia is redundant on the road, but I still like the way the word looks, even if you have to compress it a bit to get it all in. People say the same thing about San Francisco being a tight squeeze, but I think it looks terrific on the Giants' current greys, and the prior script (the vertically arched lettering that matched the home script from the last years at Candlestick) looked even better. Plus I think every road uniform should have the location name, as it's more formal and keeps road greys from merely being home whites that aren't white.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with the Philadelphia script, either. It may not be the best wordmark in and of itself, but it is a nice change from the same wordmark appearing on all jerseys (and BP jerseys) and serves the purpose of stating the city name. They should have went with it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The current Phillies script is too "perfect". There's no way that anyone could organically draw letters like that. The rounding on the top and bottom of the h is an example of what I'm saying.

I don't know if I'd use the word "sterile" as some have, but the comparison to the Twins metrodome uniforms is a good one. The Killabrew throwbacks work because while not perfect, there's an organic charm that can't be matched. The '50s Phillies script has a similar quality to it, as does the late '40s version. Either would be preferable IMO. Same with the caps - the P is one of the worst in their history. Either the 40s or 50s would be much better. The late 40s is pretty close to the current P, but still looks much more natural and "playful" for lack of a better term.

I'd be OK with burgundy replacing red, but only if they dropped the royal blue and became a burgundy and white only team. Also, gray roads - bringing back powder blues would be the mixing of eras that I detest.

Philadelphia should never appear on a baseball uniform. That prototype looks horrible. The letters have to be so thin and small that it makes the word look weak.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No it wouldn't. Not at all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Except for the fact that lately the wordmark has been inexplicably sagging. Couldn't find a good image, but I have noticed in in game action over the past few years. Can anyone else vouch for that?

Here's the Uni Watch Segment on that. It's the top feature. I remembered it as soon as you said that. What have they let happen? It's disheartening...

I have a feeling it gas to do with jersey size. McGwire probably wore a 48, freeze 56 for instance. Did examples if identical sized game worn jerseys. I'm on my phone and cant

It wasn't the jersey size. The logo drops in relation to the buttons, so you can tell even on the smaller sized guys, the logo is dropped from its position a decade ago.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Whether it was a team color or not, powder blue just looks better with maroon than royal.

Why do they need a shade of blue? Maroon and white (with a grey base on the road) works well enough on its own.

I was suggesting for only the little stars on top of the script, which are currently royal. I'm not suggesting the Phillies become a maroon and powder blue team, I'm trying to say that if they were to switch to maroon, they could use powder blue sparingly kind of like how the Angels used gold last season.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I think the Phillies uniforms would look better if they dropped the white outlining around the wordmark on both their home and road jerseys and dropped the sleeve trimming on their roads as well. That would give them a classic look. It would be cool if they replaced scarlet to burgandy as their main color and had the stars in navy blue. It won't happen anytime soon. Hopefully the Phils will go that route in a couple of years or so down the road. The cream alternates need to go. It just doesn't look right for the Phillies.

I think the Phillies uniforms would look better if they dropped the white outlining around the wordmark on both their home and road jerseys and dropped the sleeve trimming on their roads as well. That would give them a classic look. It would be cool if they replaced scarlet to burgandy as their main color and had the stars in navy blue. It won't happen anytime soon. Hopefully the Phils will go that route in a couple of years or so down the road. The cream alternates need to go. It just doesn't look right for the Phillies.

Their current set would look much better if they dropped the white trim. Much much much better. Still wouldn't help the wordmark and cap insignia, but would be an improvement nonetheless.

The cream alt would look better if worn with blue sleeves, socks, belt, and shoes, like the uniform it is based on. Also, it appears to be more creamier than the other cream jerseys in the league, but maybe that's just an optical illusion.

Their current set would look much better if they dropped the white trim. Much much much better. Still wouldn't help the wordmark and cap insignia, but would be an improvement nonetheless.

The cream alt would look better if worn with blue sleeves, socks, belt, and shoes, like the uniform it is based on. Also, it appears to be more creamier than the other cream jerseys in the league, but maybe that's just an optical illusion.

I think there is an ever so slight difference between COOLBASE cream and doubleknit cream. The Phils only wear COOLBASE. Off the top of my head, I think SF & Cleveland had both of their cream jerseys in the two materials.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Fantastic logo matchup.

300x250_tor_opening-series.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived