Concepts are breaking my heart...

OchentaYOcho88

I joined this site because I enjoyed watching concepts come together. I also tried my hand at concepts and after being advised to work on more original concepts I haven't posted. But it seems everyday I get online and hope to see some interesting work being done in the concepts forum but it seems for the past month for every four threads posts one becomes a major pissing match and takes all the attention from the reason for the forum, the concepts.

I know recently there have been an influx of new members who aren't doing real concepts --I know I was one of those people-- but now it just seems like the concept forum is something to stay away from.

What the heck can be done to stop this b.s. bickering in the concept forum?

There are some great members on here that will do everything to help you succeed with your concept and give you real constructive criticism. But there are others that don't really care about the concept and don't mind ruining the experience for everyone. Unfortunately the bad ones won't go away on their own and they like to pick on new members. But the best advice I can give you is take the criticism from the ones that really want to help you and ignore the ones that are just being asses. I know it's not a lot of options. But that is all you can do to ensure every thread doesn't turn into a graveyard thread due to bickering.

while i agree that it shouldnt be a place for argument, people are beginning to believe that the concepts forum is a place to learn logo design, which it isnt, and then they get upset when their attempts at logos or uniforms are shot down. Unfortunately good threads now have trouble staying afloat due to all of the terrible threads that are constantly bumped by their publishers. If noone is commenting, let it die.

Soccer.jpg?t=1301776720England.png?t=1301868161Germany-1.png?t=1301800713FCB.png?t=1303259982

At the end of the day this is a message board with a volatile large membership, and for that reason alone there will be trolling. The influx has been discussed ad-nauseum, and the best solution is simply to ignore them and let the moderating team do their jobs if it gets out of hand.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I put a lot of work into my NFL Redesign, constantly revising and spending a week or so working on a team. While I don't like the MS Paint stuff, we should be able to give some comments, etc. I don't find it to be a huge problem, but it is annoying.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

At the end of the day this is a message board with a volatile large membership, and for that reason alone there will be trolling. The influx has been discussed ad-nauseum, and the best solution is simply to ignore them and let the moderating team do their jobs if it gets out of hand.

If it was only a couple people, I'd agree with you, but the trolling is everywhere in the Concepts forum. Something needs to be done.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If it was only a couple people, I'd agree with you, but the trolling is everywhere in the Concepts forum. Something needs to be done.

That'd be up to CC and the mods team to figure out, the best thing you can do is PM a mod with a well-worded and sound complaint with links to references and they will take care of it.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Yeah, going to the mods is one thing, but having moderation capabilities for your own threads would be even better, or maybe a minimum 500-post count to create your own thread could work too. Hell, you might see a slight uptick in post-padding, but the mods could easily seek out and destroy those accounts, compared to the alternative.

That's a great avatar, AJ.

But having been a moderator before (not here, on a gaming forum) we started to have problems with trolls and decided to increase the post-count to such a degree that unless they were super dedicated (which they weren't) and wanted to become an actual member of our board they would have to have a clean record (no red flags/warnings posted on their account) for 3 months to be able to start threads or vote on polls (minimum 500 posts) polls (1000 posts) chat-room (2000 posts) that it weeded out a lot of the riff-raff. Plus, even though this is a big community, that one was larger, and yet you still knew the newbies that would join the community from time to time. You also had the ability to moderate your own threads, and there was a two-and-done rule on our boards. First time you broke the rules (ban for 3 months) second time (banned permanently). Yes, those were harsh rules, but they worked.

I agree but there's nothing you can do about it. Canadians love to complain.

Before the poopstorm commences, that was a joke, friends from Canada.

In the end, just post it and ignore the negative people who are being negative just for the sake of it, not to share legitimate criticism. There are many on here who will give you sincere opinions (myself included) and many real experts in design who can help you improve your work. The internet is full of people who do nothing but try to be an online tough guy and bring others down. Just pass over their comments, you'll find more that are actually beneficial. Like usual, it's just the people who have nothing to offer often scream the loudest, just for the attention.

I try to block out the immature arguing and name-calling and I really enjoy seeing the ideas in this concept section.

87Redskins.png

That's a great avatar, AJ.

Not to stray too far off topic but, I think it's the best avatar here. I crack up every time I see it.

On topic... The ability to moderate threads you start seems like a good idea at first glance but it could be very tricky territory. For instance, let's say that I start a thread on something. Let's say that the topic is something I feel very strongly about. Is it fair to everyone else if I have the ability to simply delete or edit any post that I don't agree with?

Great idea in theory. I'm just not sure it would work in practical application. Not to mention, if we start moderating our own threads, the actual mods will be inundated with complaints from the people we're moderating in our threads.

The mods do a fine job of weeding out the serious troublemakers. As for the rest? It's on us to show some discipline and restraint and just try to ignore the annoying stuff. I know it's easier said than done.

BB52Big.jpg

There is a message board I'm a member of where you will get a mod warning for posting off topic or posting pictures in a thread that doesn't allow them. Their logic is, (You were informed to read the rules of this particular board and if you didn't that's not our fault) Three such warnings result in a 1 month suspension. Now I'm not suggesting anything like that. But some members do take advantage of the fact that this isn't a particularly tight ship.

You can't even put it on post count in my opinion. I would say put a time limit. X amount of weeks a new member can't post at all. X amount of weeks the new member can only comment. then the new member can start their own posts. It would cut down on post padding (although we have several members that do that anyway)

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice if there were separate logo design and uni design threads. Yes, gone are the days you get much useful feedback. I often feel like nobody reads what you write with a post, most dont really have the design eye to really give any useful feedback, they just skim over what other muppets write and parrot that.

I guess you just ignore it. If it gets bad enough, vote with your feet. If dribbble gets a forum, Ill be gone.

No doubt this site was better 5+ years ago. Time has a way of ruining most things.

Well I think 5 years ago everyone was pretty much "in their prime" so to say. Guys are growing up, getting married, having kids. The veterans are retiring, they have lives now.

There is a message board I'm a member of where you will get a mod warning for posting off topic or posting pictures in a thread that doesn't allow them.

I'm on one where you get reprimanded for quoting pics in a funny pic thread!

Good thing we don't attempt to enforce a rule like that HERE!

87Redskins.png

Archived