Gold stars for MLB All-Stars

The Braves just tweeted that players selected to the All-Star teams would be wearing gold stars on their hats and uniforms beginning Tuesday. I think this is a pretty goofy idea, but it will be interesting to see if the placement is the same for all teams or if some get creative. Here is the hat that will be worn by the braves.

Braves All-Star hat

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let the hate roll in. Baseball is trying something different to promote the STARS of their game. Something they have been criticized about for years.

This just in.....kids watch and play baseball! Smart way to promote your game to the next generation.

Let the hate roll in. Baseball is trying something different to promote the STARS of their game. Something they have been criticized about for years.

This just in.....kids watch and play baseball! Smart way to promote your game to the next generation.

I think it's harmless, and a good way to come up with something new to sell, but how does this promote the STARS to the kids? How does this do anything at all besides generate new merchandise ?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it's harmless, and a good way to come up with something new to sell, but how does this promote the STARS to the kids? How does this do anything at all besides generate new merchandise ?

Because kids equate stars with success. So if they see a player with a star on his uniform they are going to remember that player as a successful one. When they go out and play Little League games they are going to pattern themselves after the stars of the MLB.

Putting the stars on the uniforms makes the individual player more identifiable and it promotes all of the elite players of your game.

Looks like Stargell's stars ... or my Little League team. No joke, we had an M with a star on each side once. "Gold stars. They're not just for the Pirates anymore." Wish a pillbox cap was required as well. Would really help them stand out on a team full of non-stars.

This idea would be better if fans didn't decide the vote. I can't help but think this was in some way inspired by the NFL's captain C-stars, which actually is the worst uni idea of all time.

All that said, I can't wait to run out and buy my Mike Quade All-Star cap.

Execution is horrible, idea is good. What about small stars on a player's jersey for all star appearances? Maybe on the sleeve. 1 year star in team color, 5 years in gold.

Because kids equate stars with success. So if they see a player with a star on his uniform they are going to remember that player as a successful one. When they go out and play Little League games they are going to pattern themselves after the stars of the MLB.

You say this as if kids who play baseball are too stupid to figure out who is a good player. How many Little League World Series have we seen where, when asked who his favorite player is, the kid responds "I don't know. MLB really doesn't promote stars, and I really don't know who the good players are, and therefore, I don't know which one to pick."??

If causal kids want to find out who the best players are, they'll watch the home-run derby and the All-Star game...not look for stars on the back of hats.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived