Texas A&M leaving the Big 12

rvrdgsfn

Academics. Gotta have a Vandy for every Alabama.

They also have a big basketball program. The world is not run by sports. If the SEC didn't have Vandy, it would be a purely sports related conference, and would give off a bad image. Every BCS conference has at least one major academic program. They need Vandy.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Academics. Gotta have a Vandy for every Alabama.

And they're pretty damn good in sports other than football.

That being said, deifnitely wouldn't mind TAMU coming over to the SEC. The conference finally gets to plant its flag in Texas, & TAMU escapes the Texas, Oklahoma & Friends conference. Win-win situation for both parties here.

I'd beg to differ. If you have 6-7 really good teams, that seems more like parity than dominance.

I don't know about that...I guess to me, it's a decision of playing 2nd fiddle to Texas...or getting your :censored: pushed in by 5-6 teams you never thought were on Texas' level.

It's not like if Texas came to the SEC that they would immediately be a contender for the SEC championship.

People need to remember, especially the non-AQ fans...because this is something too easily forgotten when a team like Boise or Utah or Hawaii or whoever goes 11-0 and feel like they can compete with the SEC-caliber teams...and EVEN if they do beat them in the bowl game...that doesn't mean you can compete in that league. Playing week in and out in a league determines that...not one hyped up game. It's great to win those, no doubt...but you can't throw the weight of SOS all on one matchup. That is why I will tell Boise State fans all day long that the best they would have done last year in the SEC was 7-5.

At any rate, I welcome TAMU to the SEC...they bring a good academic record, one hell of an endowment, and they seem to mesh with our brand of football as far as traditions go. I'd love to travel to College Station whenever the Cocks head that way one day. I just hope the SEC brings in the right team to complete the pair.

The problem with A&M going to the SEC is that they seem to believe the problem with the Big 12 is Texas' dominance. What are they going to say when they get routed regularly by the SEC's upper echelon teams? I mean, A&M is good, but they're not SEC top tier good. A&M to the SEC is a lateral move.

"Thank you, sir."

Texas A&M joins a conference where Alabama and Vanderbilt get the same amount of TV and postseason money. Texas A&M isn't exactly happy with the huge slice of pie Texas gets in regards to conference money and stature with the Longhorn Network.

Plus, Texas A&M wasn't winning many conference titles (in the important money-making sports) in the Big XII anyway. They aren't exactly losing the ability to contend for conference championships should they join the SEC.

I think the problem with Texas isn't so much on-the-field or on-the-court dominance. It's more of Texas' wanting to dominate behind the scenes. This is more than the Longhorn Network, although the Longhorn Network definitely plays a part in it. From my understanding, Nebraska had enough of Texas wanting to dominate the decision making in the Big 12. I think A&M is doing the same thing.

The problem with A&M going to the SEC is that they seem to believe the problem with the Big 12 is Texas' dominance. What are they going to say when they get routed regularly by the SEC's upper echelon teams? I mean, A&M is good, but they're not SEC top tier good. A&M to the SEC is a lateral move.

In the Big 12, Texas is king and everyone else is their subjects. At least in the SEC it can be argued that there are many in the top tier, rather that one running the show.

If anything, having multiple teams at the top like that is worse.

Not really, especially when the top schools can be reliably aligned against one another. For example, in the Big Ten Michigan and Ohio State more or less hold each other in check.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As a Mizzou fan, I know it would be a longshot to be in the SEC, but if they have the chance they have to go. It would give the SEC two more TV markets. Again, not likely, but I do think the Big 12 is done.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Why doesn't A&M start an Aggie Network? I'm being completely serious. I think almost every major school in the NCAA will have one within a decade, so why wait? It's not as if the school is broke.

As a Longhorn fan, I'm troubled by the financial inequities in the Big 12 that favor Texas, but I think this could have been settled in good faith. Forcing every team to share the pie for the good of the conference. Unfortunately, that dialogue never really got off the ground, and a hundred-year old rivalry is lost because of it. Sad.

newsig.jpg

Why doesn't A&M start an Aggie Network? I'm being completely serious. I think almost every major school in the NCAA will have one within a decade, so why wait? It's not as if the school is broke.

I don't. The financial and logistical resources to bootstrap your own network to birth and beyond just aren't there at almost all schools, and neither is demand. ESPN's not going to provide logistical support to these schools, especially when the only reason they supported the Longhorn Network (which in turn is the only real reason it exists now) was to get access to Texas High School football games-and the NCAA blew that idea up.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So does this mean we are going to see a whirl-wind of "invitations" getting handed out, like the Big Ten and Rutgers, Mizzou, and Notre Dame... then with the SEC and Florida State, Clemson, Texas A&M, and Mizzou?

I expect the Big 10 to pick up the pace on their time line with expanding to 16.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

A local radio show said Oklahoma may be the next to leave and may take OK St with them. Likely landing spot would be PAC-14 (at that point)

Thoughts?

Even though it would be two more likely losses for Arizona football every year, I'm all for it.

Likely. Makes more sense business-wise.

And it expands the SEC footprint.

A local radio show said Oklahoma may be the next to leave and may take OK St with them. Likely landing spot would be PAC-14 (at that point)

Thoughts?

No prob from me, I had them and the Kansas duo headed west in my "plan".

Being an Iowa State guy, I'm more then happy to see Oklahoma and Oklahoma State go. It sucks more now because the 'Clones have to play them every year in this new round robin format instead of two out of four in the divisional format.

It also scares me because ISU can easily become a 'Have Not' and fall into the Mountain West or Conference USA thanks to these moves.

It's funny that the Big XII might fall apart as a football conference before the Big East does. That didn't seem possible just a couple of years ago. However, I'm not discounting the chance that TCU changes its mind and status quo is relatively maintained.

Heaven help the Big XII if the Oklahomas and more also take off. Then its curtains for the conference, for sure.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Well I dont think people would mind if Iowa State came to the Big 10, but they will probably be one of the worst in the conference every year. So I would love to see them make the move if the Big 10 lets them in, I dont know if they would.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

It's funny that the Big XII might fall apart as a football conference before the Big East does. That didn't seem possible just a couple of years ago. However, I'm not discounting the chance that TCU changes its mind and status quo is relatively maintained.

Heaven help the Big XII if the Oklahomas and more also take off. Then its curtains for the conference, for sure.

If both OU & OKState leave the big 12, that's the nail in the coffin IMO.

baltimoreravens.png

Archived