2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

I just realized... Boise State is going down to Long Beach soon to play Casper Ware and the 'Niners. If Boise beats them, Pitt is officially bad and they should feel bad.

I would watch Long Beach State. They're coach Don Monson is the guy that helped get Gonzaga jumpstarted to where they are now. Didn't do as well with Minnesota but didn't do terrible either. Just couldn't break the glass ceiling with the Gophers.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who would've known the college basketball today would be better than the college football :lol:

That Syracuse game was awesome. Brandon Triche is one of my favorite players in the country

Yeah the Orange's comeback was awesome to watch (in my slightly biased student-fan opinion :P ). Additionally the consolation game between Oklahoma State and Virginia Tech went to the wire, plus UCF ended their game on a huge run to upset #4 UConn, giving them their first loss since their run to the championship last season. Also, FWIW, Harvard upset Florida State, but that game barely had either team hitting 40. That and watch Harvard choke away the Ivy League like they do every year :P

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Wow, the Big East is seriously having one of its worst days since the Thursday and Friday of the first NCAA Tournament weekend. Save for Syracuse and Louisville's escapes and, err, DePaul, a lot of BE teams have been upset today

Tell me about it. After the loss against Presbyterian, I actually predicted the Bearcats' loss to Marshall. They'll miss the tournament this year pretty easily.

25yzwqg.png

Wow, the Big East is seriously having one of its worst days since the Thursday and Friday of the first NCAA Tournament weekend. Save for Syracuse and Louisville's escapes and, err, DePaul, a lot of BE teams have been upset today

I can believe UC losing to Marshall today, though it shouldn't have happened at the Shoe. But I still can't believe they lost at home to Presbyterian.

DAMNIT WRONG THREAD

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My Auburn Tigers are 3-0!..... but we have one of the worst schedules in the NCAA. They're still in a rebuilding phase in Coach Barbee's second year, but games are still fun to go to. We have some good young talent and a nice recruiting class on the way. The team plays hard and plays physically, which I hope they can continue into conference play.

If you ever see an Auburn game on television, look for me in the front center of the student section, acting a fool.

Also, really can't believe UNC lost tonight. Unreal win by UNLV.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

Wowwwww. Awesome win for UNLV.

And it doesn't get any easier for UNC, as #11 Wisconsin and #2 Kentucky are the next two teams on the schedule, and a tough Long Beach State team is also coming up.

Wow, a sport where top teams schedule other top teams out-of-conference? :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

You know, college football could actually learn a few things from college basketball. If we can't have a playoff, I'd at least like to see early-season neutral site tournaments (if there's a decent way to pull that off) or maybe a Bracket Busters type thing for teams on the BCS bubble.

I also would like scheduling FCS teams to be banned. That crap deprives us all of potential marquee matchups in such a short season, doesn't really help either team (beyond the paycheck that the FCS school gets), and allows some teams to live off their preseason ranking and coast until conference play. Boise State/Georgia and Oregon/LSU were great games... it's a damn shame we can't have more matchups like that early in the season. Basketball can get away with scheduling cupcakes because their season is longer and they also play tough opponents OOC. In football, the cupcakes only ensure that the regular season is mostly unwatchable until conference play.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I also would like scheduling FCS teams to be banned. That crap deprives us all of potential marquee matchups in such a short season, doesn't really help either team (beyond the paycheck that the FCS school gets), and allows some teams to live off their preseason ranking and coast until conference play. Boise State/Georgia and Oregon/LSU were great games... it's a damn shame we can't have more matchups like that early in the season. Basketball can get away with scheduling cupcakes because their season is longer and they also play tough opponents OOC. In football, the cupcakes only ensure that the regular season is mostly unwatchable until conference play.

If teams can't schedule FCS squads, they'll all be in a rush to schedule teams like North Texas and Eastern Michigan. When you get all the "cred" you need in your conference schedule, there's no reason to play difficult games outside of conference play.

In other news:

Cincinnati will need to take care of business in the Big East. Same for UConn. Those are two teams with pitifully weak non-conference schedules and who evidently didn't learn the lesson that teams should have learned from Colorado last season, Va. Tech the season before and Penn State before that: The NCAA Tournament Committee does not reward teams for putting together weak non-conference schedules like they're football schedules.

Also Marshall is better than advertised. Three bids are possible out of C-USA this year.

Archived