Orioles 2012 Changes

Bill813

Those were bad, but intriguingly bad. Like, how can you take something as rife with potential as "Seattle Mariners" and come up with the destitute man's Brewers? I think the fact that they've always been absent from the mothership adds to the intrigue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those were bad, but intriguingly bad. Like, how can you take something as rife with potential as "Seattle Mariners" and come up with the destitute man's Brewers? I think the fact that they've always been absent from the mothership adds to the intrigue.

Never noticed that before. I have to say the cap is kinda nice but the jersey is terrible because it tries so hard to be classic but that weird Romanesque font just kills it.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Never noticed that before. I have to say the cap is kinda nice but the jersey is terrible because it tries so hard to be classic but that weird Romanesque font just kills it.

I mentioned this in another thread, but that particular Mariners set has never been officially vectorized by the MLB.

It's correct because the apostrophe represents missing letters. A plural letter would be something like Ds or "D"s. I'm a little skeptical of the acceptability of an apostrophe to pluralize a letter or symbol.

The ambiguosness of the plural form of letter without an apostrophe would make an apostrophe necessary, I would think. It's true that an apostrophe represents missing letters. But more succinctly it's there to avoid the confusion of the reader in the face of the absent letter(s). And since letters/symbols most likely can't be possessive, I think that is the need for an apostrophe with them.

Then again, I think it's up for debate and acceptable either way.

os-1-1.jpg

I've never had a problem with this logo and I guess I just sort of ignore the upside down apostrophe, but at this point you gotta figure the Orioles must know about this and just decide to keep it that way for whatever reason. I wonder why? It doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me one way or the other, but it looks just as good with the apostrophe the right way. It doesn't look right with that space blank though, feels like something is missing.

Huh I never noticed this. But here's something odd when I went and checked my O's cap and I found that mine is actually a right side up apostrophe.

That's weird because they only sell upside down apostrophes.

So how did I get a correct version?

Maybe it was right side up originally and eventually was turned around?

Oh my god I just noticed why. I have like 200 hats on the wall and I never realized that my o's cap has the same s as an A's hat does!

It's not a cursive s like it's supposed to be.

All these years I just didn't notice that it was a knock-off. Well at least they got the apostrophe right.

os-1-1.jpg

I've never had a problem with this logo and I guess I just sort of ignore the upside down apostrophe, but at this point you gotta figure the Orioles must know about this and just decide to keep it that way for whatever reason. I wonder why? It doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me one way or the other, but it looks just as good with the apostrophe the right way. It doesn't look right with that space blank though, feels like something is missing.

Huh I never noticed this. But here's something odd when I went and checked my O's cap and I found that mine is actually a right side up apostrophe.

Oh my god I just noticed why. I have like 200 hats on the wall and I never realized that my o's cap has the same s as an A's hat does!

All these years I just didn't notice that it was a knock-off. Well at least they got the apostrophe right.

Are you talking about this cap?:

latestbatch801.jpg

GEDC0076.jpg

I don't think it's a knock-off. I think it might be an early version of that logo. I wish I had a clearer picture of it. If it really is an early version of that cap, and the apostrophe is right, how did it get flipped upside down when they went to the script "s"???

For all the people complaining about New Era taking the easy way out by sewing the front-pannelled with black thread instead of using white, New Era has been doing this for awhile.

Exposcooperstown.jpgWhiteSoxcooperstown.jpg

Expos and White Sox Cooperstown Collection caps, straight from the Lids website.

spacer.png

os-1-1.jpg

Are you talking about this cap?:

latestbatch801.jpg

GEDC0076.jpg

I don't think it's a knock-off. I think it might be an early version of that logo. I wish I had a clearer picture of it. If it really is an early version of that cap, and the apostrophe is right, how did it get flipped upside down when they went to the script "s"???

Ha interesting yup that's the cap. i've seen this before most notably the Grey pirates hat from a decade or so ago was originally designed with a yellow P it was later worn as a black P.

I have both.

Or The Diamondbacks original hats had very large logos before the team started playing. Once they hit the field the logos had shrunk and the beige thread was now metalic copper.

It's cool that you have those photos that confirm that I'm not crazy even if I'm not sure what I really have.

For all the people complaining about New Era taking the easy way out by sewing the front-pannelled with black thread instead of using white, New Era has been doing this for awhile.

Expos and White Sox Cooperstown Collection caps, straight from the Lids website.

Disgraceful. How can they not do anything about it after all the gripes they have undoubtedly heard by now? And another thing - why do they have to put the annoying NE flag logo on the side of all the Cooperstowns? The current on-field ones they sell don't have that. That really bothers me.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

The White Sox never wore the full logo on their caps. They just wore SOX.

Disgraceful. How can they not do anything about it after all the gripes they have undoubtedly heard by now? And another thing - why do they have to put the annoying NE flag logo on the side of all the Cooperstowns? The current on-field ones they sell don't have that. That really bothers me.

I actually have an original white sox panel and an original Blue Jays white panel and they actually used clear plastic thread on those.

Yes, New Era is incredibly cheap when it comes to their caps. They can't bear to part with a few more cents to use white thread for the white panel.

As for the logo on the side, it doesn't bother me too much. Although you could use a seam ripper to take it off, or at least this is what others have been able to do.

Agree entirely. It just goes to show that New Era's bottom line is more important then the quality of their caps. For 34-36 dollars, I expect better.

Also, New Era needs their logo on the side of their non-current-gamers. I mean, who else makes the fitted authentic MLB caps? How would you know it's them? [note the sarcasm]

Regardless, the point is still valid.

I actually have an original white sox panel and an original Blue Jays white panel and they actually used clear plastic thread on those.

So perhaps this is a more recent trend for New Era?

Yes, New Era is incredibly cheap when it comes to their caps. They can't bear to part with a few more cents to use white thread for the white panel.

As for the logo on the side, it doesn't bother me too much. Although you could use a seam ripper to take it off, or at least this is what others have been able to do.

You're preaching to the choir, Quillz. New Era has to know that it pisses people off.

Not everyone (like me) has a seam ripper, and either way it's still New Era infringing on a classic design immortalized by the Cooperstown Collection for some useless logo creep.

spacer.png

Regardless, the point is still valid.

Not really. They can't be accused of taking the easy way out on a cap they designed. When supposedly providing an accurate replica of a historic cap, then yes. That Sox cap is nothing more than a fashion cap, and plenty of those have contrasting thread.

In some ways, the same is true of the new O's. It is a new cap based on an old one, but not intended to be a duplicate. I don't prefer the look and it's likely just New Era being "cheap," but for the 2012 Orioles, they're sporting the black thread on their white panel.

Archived