Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

What about that is ridiculous?

Exactly. You know if they would have continued to play the song then Magnus (and his ilk) would have blasted PSU for not being sensitive to Sanduskys' victims.

You can't have a logical and factual conversation with people like Magnus (and his ilk) because they are the ones who will not be happy until Penn State, State College, Centre County, and Central Pennsylvania are burned to the ground and ashes are forced fed to Sandusky. Then Sanduskys defecation will fertilize the grave of Joe Paterno.....because they are all about the victims.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I'd have to say this is common sense. Sweet Caroline is a song played at almost every sporting venue in America today (along with Don't Stop Believin'), so it's not like it's an important PSU tradition. It's best just not to have everyone there saying "touching me; touching you".

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Exactly. You know if they would have continued to play the song then Magnus (and his ilk) would have blasted PSU for not being sensitive to Sanduskys' victims.

You can't have a logical and factual conversation with people like Magnus (and his ilk) because they are the ones who will not be happy until Penn State, State College, Centre County, and Central Pennsylvania are burned to the ground and ashes are forced fed to Sandusky. Then Sanduskys defecation will fertilize the grave of Joe Paterno.....because they are all about the victims.

Kindly get over yourself. No one's advocating what you claim they are. Deal with the fact that the criticisms of the institution you've apparently sworn everlasting loyalty to are valid. Stop blaming people for being upset about things they ought to be upset over.

When people talk about "Joepologists" they don't mean your average Penn State graduate or student, it's people like you (and your ilk). When people talk about the cult like culture that's developed around Penn State they don't mean your average Penn State graduate or student, it's people like you (and your ilk).

That doesn't make any sense. Magnus is the one that said it was ridiculous that they're discontinuing the song.

That doesn't make any sense. Magnus is the one that said it was ridiculous that they're discontinuing the song.

Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think he's insinuating that Magnus would be on here posting stuff like "OMG I can't believe they played that song - THEY JUST DON'T GET IT!" if they played it, but is on here posting "ridiculous" when they decide to discontinue it. Basically saying that there are people who will bitch and ridicule when they do one thing, but then also bitch and ridicule if they had done the other.

I have no idea if that's the case here, as it's difficult to predict what someone would have posted so it's safer to just point out the post that was actually typed. My post was just looking for more information, because I'm scratching my head about how anyone could see anything written in that story as "ridiculous".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe I should just stop posting here. It's too bad...the conversations are so interesting.

Or just answer the question and continue the interesting conversation. What about that link was ridiculous?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it's dumb they felt the need to make an announcement that they were no longer going to play the song. Would anyone have noticed if they just didn't play it without saying anything?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think it's dumb they felt the need to make an announcement that they were no longer going to play the song. Would anyone have noticed if they just didn't play it without saying anything?

Oh probably not - I don't know if it was a big "tradition" type of thing and it would have been noticed. If it was, it's a pretty stupid "tradition" because so many other schools do the same thing. I'm pretty sure nobody over the age of 25 finds anything entertaining about singing along with that song.

My guess is that someone like a reporter or something actually brought it up, so they felt like they had to make mention of it so that they don't get asked again. Either that, or they just wanted to go out of their way to show in at least some little way that they're at least conscious about how they're perceived now and wanted to give people at least a little bit of an idea that they aren't totally in the protective bubble that most think, where this never happened and everyone still loves them and JOE PA!!!

My problem with the announcement was that I did not think something as trivial as a song could be connected to the scandal. Ever when I read that the "hands touching hands reaching out touching you" bit might have been what caused the problem, my brain was just like "Seriously? People have more important things to worry about than whether or not a song sounds vaguely like something inappropriate."

Isn't the song about a pre-pubescent Caroline Kennedy? It's kind of inappropriate in the first place. It's also one of the worst songs ever, made worse by the "BA-BA-BA" and "SO GOOD!" singalongs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh probably not - I don't know if it was a big "tradition" type of thing and it would have been noticed. If it was, it's a pretty stupid "tradition" because so many other schools do the same thing. I'm pretty sure nobody over the age of 25 finds anything entertaining about singing along with that song.

My guess is that someone like a reporter or something actually brought it up, so they felt like they had to make mention of it so that they don't get asked again. Either that, or they just wanted to go out of their way to show in at least some little way that they're at least conscious about how they're perceived now and wanted to give people at least a little bit of an idea that they aren't totally in the protective bubble that most think, where this never happened and everyone still loves them and JOE PA!!!

It wouldn't have been noticed at all. I can't recall it being played during my tenure there (04-07 seasons) and probably would've remembered it because I detest it in the first place. (I could be wrong about that of course, but I can't recall it.)

There's that other song though, Hey Baby I wanna know if you'll be my girl (dunno what it's actually called) that WOULD be noticed if it were missing.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Meanwhile...

NCAA says UNC did nothing wrong, even though the school expanded their investigation two weeks ago and last week, a NC court told Butch Davis that he had to surrender his personal cell phone records during his time at UNC.

Meet the new sheriff, who looks a whole lot like the old sheriff.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Meanwhile...

NCAA says UNC did nothing wrong, even though the school expanded their investigation two weeks ago and last week, a NC court told Butch Davis that he had to surrender his personal cell phone records during his time at UNC.

Meet the new sheriff, who looks a whole lot like the old sheriff.

Correct. What does "Lack of Institutional Control" mean, specifically since the NCAA is concerned with academics and "student-athletes" when the university already said that:

In May, UNC distributed their first report which detailed 54 AFAM classes (of 616 offered) were either " aberrant" or "irregularly" taught from summer 2007 to summer 2011. The department gave unauthorized grade changes, forged faculty signatures on grade rolls, and limited or no class time.

There was a pattern of academic fraud which seems to be accepted since non-athletes were given favor too.

A rouge retired coach, a rouge street runner, or a rogue agent is not good, yet rogue professors and rogue university staff are fine if the general student body gets bogus grades too.

I mean, I'll begrudgingly allow the Red Sox to have it, but when did singing goddamn "Sweet Caroline" become as sportsy as any number of horrible Queen or AC/DC songs? The New York Rangers do it now, too! Some of what are supposed to be the most hard-assed and grizzled of all New York sports fans, ba-ba-ba-ing along to 1960s chamber-pop, and a Red Sox song, at that? What a plague. I'll smack you in the mouth, Neil Diamond.

ugh, listening to it now. TAAA-CHING NYOOOOOOOU who let this crap get pressed in the first place

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Maybe I should just stop posting here. It's too bad...the conversations are so interesting.

Magnus,

I need to offer a public and sincere apology to you for my outburst to your post the other day. It was ignorant of me to respond without first trying to establish the context of your post. I jumped to a conclusion without seeking clarity. I am so sorry. My family ties and history run deep in Central Pennsylvania and this issue (Sandusky and Co.) has struck me deeply on so many levels. It is out of frustration and anger seeing many in the media (and online) daily being just as ignorant as I was to you. But that still is no excuse for my response to you.

I beg you not to stop posting due to my ignorance. I hope to can accept this apology.

Viola73

• 1 month later...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/09/14315772-jerry-sandusky-gets-30-to-60-years-for-child-sex-abuse?lite

Sandusky just got sentenced. 30-60 years in jail, meaning he's 99.9% certain to die in jail.

With the way even other prisoners treat child abusers he sure could be in for a hell of a time...

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Archived