Classic / Keep it / Tweek it / Lose it (NHL edition)

29texan

WOW! They changed the letter and still used flames...no, that is not generic at all. At least when my team moved they changed their name and identity completely. Quebec to Colorado.

Well, the name meaning "Northerners" doesn't exactly fit in Denver, Colorado...I'd say they had to change the name. Flames, on the other hand, is a relatively universal name. It's not tied down to a specific region.

Well, I mean, not like Atlanta the starting point of Sherman's March to the Sea or anything after he burned the city... oh, wait.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! They changed the letter and still used flames...no, that is not generic at all. At least when my team moved they changed their name and identity completely. Quebec to Colorado.

Well, the name meaning "Northerners" doesn't exactly fit in Denver, Colorado...I'd say they had to change the name. Flames, on the other hand, is a relatively universal name. It's not tied down to a specific region.

Well, I mean, not like Atlanta the starting point of Sherman's March to the Sea or anything after he burned the city... oh, wait.

Yeah, but it also fits Calgary, given the oil/energy industry in the city.

Yeah, but it also fits Calgary, given the oil/energy industry in the city.

True, just refuting the "relatively universal" title given to it - made it seem like there was no real rhyme or reason to it.

6fQjS3M.png

Classic: (I could have put all the Original Six logos here)

124.gif

Keep it:

e0z8f9w5hoe7hsm531j8g5uah.gif

Tweak it: (I could have put most of the non-Original Six logos here)

97hhvk8e5if0riesnex30etgz.gif

I'm thinking white or silver bolt, black space in/around bolt and swooshes, keep swooshes blue.

Lose it:

2xd2efir5fdew26px6kx.gif

Return it:

dhhc15gfgtog1qo5b5uwpz8h0.gif

CCSLC signature.png

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

Serious? That logo is a classic, what on earth would you want to replace it?

Yes seriously! I hate that logo because all they did was take the flames from the "A" in Atlanta and add them to the "C". It seems like a generic move if you ask me. I would like to think that after 31 years they could come up with something not stolen from the original team. Heck use the Horse logo, at least it has flames on it and shows off the rich history that Calgary has with Rodeos.

nuordr, the Calgary Flames did not rip off the Atlanta Flames. Why? They're the same team. You can't rip off yourself. The C is fine.

This is an opinion based board therefore that is my opinion and you are not going to convince me otherwise.

spacer.png

I understand the original reason for the name, but really one could call their team the flames from Maine to Alaska. It doesn't directly refer to a region like Yankees or Nordiques, for example. That's all I'm saying

Manchester-City-icon.png

I understand the original reason for the name, but really one could call their team the flames from Maine to Alaska. It doesn't directly refer to a region like Yankees or Nordiques, for example. That's all I'm saying

In my previous post I said that they didn't have to change the name. Someone asked me why I didn't like the logo and I explained and next thing you know, this blows up into a name debate.

I really don't think the Jets should use the old Jets logo, for the only fact is that is not them. The new Jets and the old Jets are different teams.

That is exactly how I feel about the new Browns. I feel ya.

spacer.png

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

Yes seriously! I hate that logo because all they did was take the flames from the "A" in Atlanta and add them to the "C". It seems like a generic move if you ask me. I would like to think that after 31 years they could come up with something not stolen from the original team. Heck use the Horse logo, at least it has flames on it and shows off the rich history that Calgary has with Rodeos.

nuordr, the Calgary Flames did not rip off the Atlanta Flames. Why? They're the same team. You can't rip off yourself. The C is fine.

This is an opinion based board therefore that is my opinion and you are not going to convince me otherwise.

That's fine, but no amount of debate will change the fact that a team cannot rip themselves off.

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

That's fine, but no amount of debate will change the fact that a team cannot rip themselves off.

They could have at least come up with something different besides an alphabetic letter with flames on it...that is all I am saying. Ice_Cap, you can read between the lines, I have read your posts and I know you are an intelligent person.

spacer.png

Lose It:

flames_thumb.gif

They could have at least come up with something different besides an alphabetic letter with flames on it...that is all I am saying. Ice_Cap, you can read between the lines, I have read your posts and I know you are an intelligent person.

Looks like this has turned into quite the FLAME war. But I see no issue with Calgary's logo. I wonder if the flames have ever thought of using a firefighter motif in their identity, which could look very sharp IMO

a_mcnabb_i.jpg

Big A has a point about the Wild logo. It's a fantastic logo, especially for a team with an awful name like the Wild, but the colors are off.

Likewise, and I know this is sacrilege in some areas, I always thought the North Stars had the wrong colors. Fantastic logo, but have you ever seen a green sky? It should have been midnight blue and gold.

I don't get all the hate for the Hurricanes logo. It's a simplistic representation of a hurricane with an "eye of the storm" in the middle. What more could you want?

Answered your own question: a "simplistic representation" doesn't always work. Here, with a team established in 1997 as a hooterville curiosity, abstract simplicity doesn't fly. There's also the matter of it replacing one of the better hockey logos around, which is going to be a sore spot with design nerds.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived