Classic / Keep it / Tweek it / Lose it (NHL edition)

29texan

There are a couple of secondary logos I think would look excellent as currents.

I hated this logo:

Return It: 86liul9vxxfapth3dt9z3cx6b.gif

But this secondary was outstanding (both with and without the wordmark):

7qpcsg21mirbbfw2m7sx.gif

This is pretty good, too, but I think the purple looks better:

vozydoekbviej9hc4fegcaj9e.gif

And while I like the Carolina Hurricanes' primary (nothing simplistic about it! It's a hurricane with a puck as the eye of the storm. Top notch!), this would likewise be an outstanding primary:

37.gif

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get all the hate for the Hurricanes logo. It's a simplistic representation of a hurricane with an "eye of the storm" in the middle. What more could you want?

Answered your own question: a "simplistic representation" doesn't always work. Here, with a team established in 1997 as a hooterville curiosity, abstract simplicity doesn't fly.

Why does it not fly? I remember reading somewhere that the Hurricanes made a decision to forego a cartoonish 90's logo, and no doubt some merchandise sales, for something classic and enduring. In my opinion they succeeded.

There's also the matter of it replacing one of the better hockey logos around, which is going to be a sore spot with design nerds.

Hardly the fault of the designer... A Carolina team called the Whalers would not work, hence adapting a new identity.

Classic 174.gif

Love the gloves!

Keep it venf9fmhgnsawnxxvehf.gif

One of the best classic logo modernizations. Much better than the previous one.

Tweak it 94.gif

Needs to be simplified.

Lose it oxahxcheae4mgu4wopqj9ydhy.gif

That is pretty much accomplished already. What a snore of a logo. Colors also seem weird for a Dallas team.

Return it (kind of) x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif

So much better and evocative than what they use now.

I remember reading somewhere that the Hurricanes made a decision to forego a cartoonish 90's logo, and no doubt some merchandise sales, for something classic and enduring.

If Raleigh's flushing toilet is among the NHL's "classic, enduring" looks, then man, I dunno.

It was probably more that they didn't have enough time to come up with anything interesting, so they slapped something together on short notice, making sure that it had lots of red to satisfy their Detroit-based owner. Whatever. it sucks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Really don't get the hate for the Hurricanes logo myself (although, I would think it has to do with them being the Hartford Whalers before...), but it's a good logo.

It's not overly complex.

It's not TOO simple.

It's got a pretty good color combo.

It could last for a few more DECADES.

.... no real reason to hate, but that's me.

Oh and,

That is pretty much accomplished already. What a snore of a logo. Colors also seem weird for a Dallas team

I can understand seeing it as boring, but the colors are weird for a Dallas team.... how?

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

It's better than Winnipeg's short-notice effort... by a lot.

They both work *shrug*

The Whalers logo blows them both away though.

Fair enough, but the Jets logo sucks. The Hurricanes logo is ok.

The Whalers logo is overrated.

They both work *shrug*

Gee, I wonder why ya say that?

lol.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

They both work *shrug*

lol.

I am not a Thrashers fan.

They both work *shrug*

lol.

I am not a Thrashers fan.

Maybe he's referring to the fact that you were pretty anti-Winnipeg in all of the relocation talk that led up to the Thrashers move north? Not saying that has anything to do with your taste in logos, but it may be where he got the idea that you'd hate everything Jets.

I can see how it's underwhelming. I can see how it's dull. I can see how it's middle of the pack. I don't, however, see how the Jets 2.0 logo "sucks" outside of the overused "why did they use the maple leaf?" argument. It's not fantastic, it's ok. Nothing special, but it does what it has to do.

The Hurricanes' logo is just a stylized hurricane. Again it's nothing Earth shattering but it's ok.

I'll just agree to disagree on the Whalers' logo. It is, in my opinion, one of the all time greats when it comes to logo design.

Really don't get the hate for the Hurricanes logo myself (although, I would think it has to do with them being the Hartford Whalers before...), but it's a good logo.

It's not overly complex.

It's not TOO simple.

Oh and,

That is pretty much accomplished already. What a snore of a logo. Colors also seem weird for a Dallas team

I can understand seeing it as boring, but the colors are weird for a Dallas team.... how?

Guess he thinks every Texas based team should be Red White and Blue. My advice to him would be to take a look at a night shot of the Dallas skyline and see if the colours still seem out of place.

Return:

27.gif

No. No no no no no. No.

That logo will forever be associated with failure in the minds of Bruins fans. Their worst seasons happened with that logo. Not to mention, it's horrible. Ask any Bruins fans. They hate it. The new one is soooooo much better.

This post wasn't meant to insult you, just to indicate my opinion on that logo, as a devout Bruins fan.

spacer.png

It's not overly complex.

It's not TOO simple.

Oh and,

Guess he thinks every Texas based team should be Red White and Blue. My advice to him would be to take a look at a night shot of the Dallas skyline and see if the colours still seem out of place.

Not really red white and blue.... just blue since it's the constant color of all the major teams in DFW.

And when you are looking at the skyline:

6173073695_21970586cd_o.jpg

... you can throw orange, blue, and purple in there with the green, gold/yellow, and white.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png

Archived