College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Anybody know when Mississippi State and Northwestern are unveiling their uniforms?

There's a good chance that Mississippi State's will be unveiled thursday. Nothing confirmed, though.

Doubt it's Thursday, schools are discouraged from making any announcements while SEC Media Days are going on, and uniform unveilings are not permitted at the event.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read the comments attached to this article... comedy gold. The pinhead fans of this program actually think generic fake-tuff black uniforms make them look more big time. Is there any wonder why we are mired hip deep in the dark ages of college football uniform design?

So it turns out there was a khaki uniform option that Adidas present to A&M. The Corps of Cadets wear khaki uniforms while on campus and to football games so it while it would have been cool to see the team doing a semi-military nod, I am glad Coach Sumlin passed on this option.

* On the new uniforms that feature two large stripes on the shoulders in a nod to the 1970s jerseys:

?We went through the (A&M) president?s office (to choose the uniforms), and we met with adidas in January. About three weeks later they came back with a number of designs. Some that people will never see. The people that are unhappy about this one should have seen some of the ones we turned away. I?ll put it this way. There was a khaki one in there.

?The players love the new uniforms, and we?ve received a great response from recruits. We explained to adidas what our concerns were from a traditional aspect, and also tried to create a look that creates an energy level for our players.?

http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2012/07/sumlin-on-manziel-get-a-dog-and-rejected-khaki-uniforms/

Read the comments attached to this article... comedy gold. The pinhead fans of this program actually think generic fake-tuff black uniforms make them look more big time. Is there any wonder why we are mired hip deep in the dark ages of college football uniform design?

I just read the comments...most of the posters were on the fence, hoping these were just alternates and wishing more school colors were used. Maybe there's a comment section that I missed?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

pic from HGI. Has to be the new lids to go with SDSU's new uniforms:

Rutgers maybe?

I think gdu nailed it. That's almost certainly SDSU's shade of red...plus the whole black-red helmet colour they've had going...

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Rutgers maybe?

I think gdu nailed it. That's almost certainly SDSU's shade of red...plus the whole black-red helmet colour they've had going...

Wasn't Arkansas supposed to have the black gradient thing on their helmet?

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Rutgers maybe?

Will's right. Read the caption: "Something about these that just look sharp, thay [sic] must belong to..."

Unless I'm missing an obvious point about how pointy Aztecs are?

Will's right. Read the caption: "Something about these that just look sharp, thay [sic] must belong to..."

Unless I'm missing an obvious point about how pointy Aztecs are?

Monty Montezuma's spear?... :P yeah, I suppose on closer examination (i.e. actually reading the caption) these are for Arkansas.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Upon further review, I think these are Arkansas' helmets (not SDSU's). HGI hinted that it was a helmet that has already been released. I knew the white helmet had a gradient in the back, but I didn't realize the red one did, too.

Ax8lVsaCEAAybmL.png

SOLID.

I've been waiting for the Rebs to do something half-way decent with their football uniforms. They've always had the potential. Nice to see them execute. And best of all, NO BLACK.

6uXNWAo.png

After seeing this, and doing some curious googling, I think UNLV might do well to replace their gray with gold. As it is right now, their color palate is pretty much owned by Ohio State and Georgia. I thought they used silver because Nevada is known as the Silver State, turns out UNLV's official colors are grey and red because of their association with the Confederate Army. Regardless of your views of the confederacy, it really doesn't make sense for a school from a state that was never part of the Confederacy (and wasn't even a state for most of the Civil War) to have such an identity. The Rebels name is still very relevant to Las Vegas for a few reasons, so I see no reason to change that, but gold is much more relevant to Las Vegas for reasons that should be obvious, and it leaves silver to their in-state rival and flagship Nevada school. The Las Vegas Outlaws had some very nice and very Vegas-y uniforms. Maybe something like that, but with red in place of black and vice versa.

Or maybe I'm completely off the mark on this. Either way, the redesigned helmet is a huge upgrade.

The Confederate motif was adopted and works because the University of Nevada has two major schools: Nevada-Reno in the North and Nevada-Las Vegas in the South. Additionally, UNLV the current institution started life as the Las Vegas branch of Nevada-Reno and gained its present status by breaking away from Reno.

It wouldn't fly today, sure, but it made sense in context.

See also: Dixie State College of Utah

I know the story, I just don't think it makes their use of Confederate iconography any less ridiculous. They can keep the Rebels name, but morph their Confederate general mascot into more of a Kenny Rogers' "Gambler" type character.

After seeing this, and doing some curious googling, I think UNLV might do well to replace their gray with gold. As it is right now, their color palate is pretty much owned by Ohio State and Georgia.

Add that to the fact that they play in the same conference as New Mexico, another team that uses red and silver (with sometimes black accents).

Well, if New Mexico would go back to Red and Turquoise full-time then UNLV would have one fewer problem. :P

I think Red and Athletic Gold... like the New Mexico state flag... would be a good look for the Lobos.

perception is reality

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Rutgers maybe?

Yeah i figured it was arkansas too

Archived