College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/16/2012 at 2:00 PM, gdu said:

helmet is a definite imrpovement, but I just don't think UNLV can pull off the traditional look. They have never been a power and are in Vegas. Go modern and flashy, IMO.

Here is a link to UNLV's helmet history: http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/mountain_west.htm

I think that is gorgeous. This takes UNLV from one of those teams who's helmet I could not picture to a top 10 in FBS. The colors just work so well together. Biggest helmet upgrade in a long while.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As nice as the UNLV helmet is on its own if black remains on the jerseys or pants the change will be futile.

The facemasks are black on the helmets. There will be no issue.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

As nice as the UNLV helmet is on its own if black remains on the jerseys or pants the change will be futile.

The facemasks are black on the helmets. There will be no issue.

Looks more like a dark grey to me.

That's definitely dark gray.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

After seeing this, and doing some curious googling, I think UNLV might do well to replace their gray with gold. As it is right now, their color palate is pretty much owned by Ohio State and Georgia. I thought they used silver because Nevada is known as the Silver State, turns out UNLV's official colors are grey and red because of their association with the Confederate Army. Regardless of your views of the confederacy, it really doesn't make sense for a school from a state that was never part of the Confederacy (and wasn't even a state for most of the Civil War) to have such an identity. The Rebels name is still very relevant to Las Vegas for a few reasons, so I see no reason to change that, but gold is much more relevant to Las Vegas for reasons that should be obvious, and it leaves silver to their in-state rival and flagship Nevada school. The Las Vegas Outlaws had some very nice and very Vegas-y uniforms. Maybe something like that, but with red in place of black and vice versa.

Or maybe I'm completely off the mark on this. Either way, the redesigned helmet is a huge upgrade.

"The gray facemask is a throwback to the 1970s, when that look was a fixture on many variations of the Rebels? helmets. Also, the gray both on the facemask and helmet is darker than the shades used in recent years."

some higher res photos (front and back) here:

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/jul/16/rebels-will-have-new-football-helmets-2012-season/

illinois getting new uniforms?

likely for 2013.

Is Cincinnati getting new uniforms? I know their contract with Adidas is up this summer, but are expected to re-sign. Also the red helemet is a prototype from their "Ring of Red" game and they just didn't end up using them.

Doubtful that they would get new unis in the last year of a contract. Adidas my make them a special one (a la Northwestern) in an attempt to get them to resign.

Is Cincinnati getting new uniforms? I know their contract with Adidas is up this summer, but are expected to re-sign. Also the red helemet is a prototype from their "Ring of Red" game and they just didn't end up using them.

Doubtful that they would get new unis in the last year of a contract. Adidas my make them a special one (a la Northwestern) in an attempt to get them to resign.

Well the contract is good through the 2011-12 season, so it's already past the last year of the contract. I'm saying that maybe the new 2012-13+ contract = new uniforms? This is speculation because I'm not sure that a deal has been reached yet.

After seeing this, and doing some curious googling, I think UNLV might do well to replace their gray with gold. As it is right now, their color palate is pretty much owned by Ohio State and Georgia. I thought they used silver because Nevada is known as the Silver State, turns out UNLV's official colors are grey and red because of their association with the Confederate Army. Regardless of your views of the confederacy, it really doesn't make sense for a school from a state that was never part of the Confederacy (and wasn't even a state for most of the Civil War) to have such an identity. The Rebels name is still very relevant to Las Vegas for a few reasons, so I see no reason to change that, but gold is much more relevant to Las Vegas for reasons that should be obvious, and it leaves silver to their in-state rival and flagship Nevada school. The Las Vegas Outlaws had some very nice and very Vegas-y uniforms. Maybe something like that, but with red in place of black and vice versa.

Or maybe I'm completely off the mark on this. Either way, the redesigned helmet is a huge upgrade.

The Confederate motif was adopted and works because the University of Nevada has two major schools: Nevada-Reno in the North and Nevada-Las Vegas in the South. Additionally, UNLV the current institution started life as the Las Vegas branch of Nevada-Reno and gained its present status by breaking away from Reno.

It wouldn't fly today, sure, but it made sense in context.

See also: Dixie State College of Utah

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

After seeing this, and doing some curious googling, I think UNLV might do well to replace their gray with gold. As it is right now, their color palate is pretty much owned by Ohio State and Georgia.

Add that to the fact that they play in the same conference as New Mexico, another team that uses red and silver (with sometimes black accents).

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

After seeing this, and doing some curious googling, I think UNLV might do well to replace their gray with gold. As it is right now, their color palate is pretty much owned by Ohio State and Georgia.

Add that to the fact that they play in the same conference as New Mexico, another team that uses red and silver (with sometimes black accents).

Well, if New Mexico would go back to Red and Turquoise full-time then UNLV would have one fewer problem. :P

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Archived