College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd still be interested to see if those socks ever see the field. I know the NCAA has been hesitant to allowed these to see the field. I think it would be better that they wear pro style socks with two stripes or a solid maroon top.

The socks are fine NCAA-wise because the middle stripe is a different color, making it a legal design, rather than a logo.

6.jpg?DB_OEM_ID=27300maroon-7.jpg?DB_OEM_ID=27300

Actually, seen from the side, the stripes DO match... both jersey and pants have a medium sized vertical maroon stripe surrounded by white. It works, as long as they never go monochrome (all white or all maroon). I kinda like it. They logo-ed undersleeves, and silly beveled numbers? Not so much. But in the current Nike-fied atmosphere of NCAA football it could have been SO much worse.

396682_3892512124046_94888342_n.jpg

The pant stripes look to be a bit wonky and super cinched at the State logo, why is that? I'm also not a fan of the beveling but overall it's a surprisingly pleasant set.

My guess is that the logo is stitched to pants, and it doesn't allow the fabric in that area to stretch as much as the rest of the pants.

Overall I really like the update. Only changes I would make would be going back to a gloss helmet, and using two stripes on the pants and helmet for more consistency.

6.jpg?DB_OEM_ID=27300maroon-7.jpg?DB_OEM_ID=27300

Actually, seen from the side, the stripes DO match... both jersey and pants have a medium sized vertical maroon stripe surrounded by white.

exactly. like i said, you dont have to have every element be identical to have unity, rhythm, flow. even repetition, where in this case some Gestalt theory comes into play

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

4) Love how adidas copied Nike yet again. Logo on front of socks and stripe pattern on back. (not to mention the logos on glove palms and designs on the sleeves of the compression shirts)

Because putting logos in new places, on sleeves and gloves, is such a proprietary bit of 'design.' The sock thing in particular has been going on in soccer long before Nike made Elite socks.

Adidas is no stranger to putting logos EVERYWHERE (but they were always adidas logos, not team logos. No one had put a team logo on the palm of gloves before. I guess it was just a coincidence and adidas came up with that idea on their own.

What sock thing? Random thin lines on the back of socks that are mfg-specific, rather than part of the uniform? Not that I remember. And, in fairness, I believe Nike copied UA with that. But the season after Nike does it, we see it on adidas. I'm just glad it isn't another 3 stripe thing from them.

I just don't think dropping a logo on something qualifies as a design idea that can be 'copied' by other entities. That's like saying, "Nike was the first company to make t-shirts with team logos on them. Now here comes ol' adidas with logo t-shirts the very next season. Can you believe the nerve!?"

Putting manufacturer or team specific designs on the backs or fronts of soccer socks has been pretty commonplace recently, well before the phenomenon hit gridiron and basketball crew socks over the past season or two. There are soccer socks with team logos, wordmarks, manufacturer logos, three stripes, etc. on the backs of the socks. Nike did ones with chevron designs, and also ones with random swoops on the U.S. National team. The basketball and now gridiron versions came after the soccer ones.

I have to give it to Adidas. While there are some little things that irk me (the bevel on the road uniform should be a darker color most notably), they did a great job. Best new uniforms of 2012.

Now why can't you give Michigan something that cool for their road uniforms?!?!

I hope they'll find a winner within all these experiments they've been doing.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Something tells me Michigan is probably wearing a variation of their bowl uniform instead of the "tusks" uniform. Either that or the white throwback. Last years aways would have been replaced if they didn't have problems with the unis they got during fall camp.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Where have I seen these before? Oh yeah, back in the 1970s and 1980s. These are, essentially, the old Emory Bellard design used at A&M from 1972-78:

Zdz7e.jpg

He then went on to Mississippi State (1979-85) where he added them late in his stint:

f87je.jpg

FsQiF2W.png

Now the lack of the two stripes on the socks is going to bother me.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Aggies uniform looks good and it would look better without those ugly arse gray facemasks!

Agreed. I do like vertical sleeve stripes sometimes because they aren't used as often. They look almost like Alabama West.

God bless the color-blind person in the stands if they play Alabama, it will be a day of confusion.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

4) Love how adidas copied Nike yet again. Logo on front of socks and stripe pattern on back. (not to mention the logos on glove palms and designs on the sleeves of the compression shirts)

Because putting logos in new places, on sleeves and gloves, is such a proprietary bit of 'design.' The sock thing in particular has been going on in soccer long before Nike made Elite socks.

If this was the first time adidas had done something very soon after Nike in college football design you might have a point, but as I pointed out this is part of a trend for adidas not a one time coincidence.

The Aggies uniform looks good and it would look better without those ugly arse gray facemasks!

Agreed. I do like vertical sleeve stripes sometimes because they aren't used as often. They look almost like Alabama West.

God bless the color-blind person in the stands if they play Alabama, it will be a day of confusion.

Hmmm...not sure how someone would be confused if one team is wearing dark jerseys and one team is wearing white jerseys....:P

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The only thing I could do without is the 12th Man wordmark on the sleeves... But as we saw with Oregon this past Rose Bowl, not every player will even wear that specific undershirt (in fact if i remember correctly almost none of the Oregon players wore the specifically designed undershirt) so overall it's not a huge deal.

90758391980.gif

Archived