College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Oregon jerseys, to save you a click:

A0d25kRCYAAktN_.jpg

I think the black looks the worst. Why not do a gloss on top of the black like the Rose Bowl jerseys kinda? I guess you could say that about the yellow one too. The green one looks pretty great though.

The jerseys are not as bad as the helmet....I just don't get why teams want a helmet without a logo. I can see teams like Navy, Ohio State, Alabama, but for non-traditional teams to remove the logo does not make sense..aka Maryland and Oregon.

Every college football fan who turns on a TV will immediately know they're watching Oregon. So, from a branding perspective, mission accomplished. I really thought they were gonna stick with the previous wing design for a long time, but then again, why would they? They're Oregon. If they're not pushing the envelope and offending a few uniform snobs along the way, they're not living up to their reputation.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe if there's enough backlash they'll use the regular helmets for the game...maybe...otherwise I may have to take my talents to Bloomington.

Like last year, these helmets were all handmade (hand-decorated?) by Troy Lee Designs. Real gold leaf turned by skilled craftsmen is probably worth quite a bit. I would all but guarantee these will not go to waste.

Here's what I get from these: Obvious vintage racing influence with the striping, the finishes, the asymmetrical elements, et al, which makes sense for Notre Dame (vintage) and Indiana/Michigan, as well as Troy Lee Designs (racing). The most interesting part about this for me, though, is the relationship between the left and right side. Look at the right side, and this is a total departure for Notre Dame, but look at it from the left side, and it's a very standard Notre Dame uniform cut from their own DNA, and a great looking one at that.

What makes it work, though, is the care shown in the design. The white stripe permeates throughout the uniform in a nearly perfect way. The helmet, the outlines on the numerals, the solid white graphics and team/player name lettering, the stripes on the ends of the undershirt, the edges of the pant stripe, the center stripe on the socks; it's a textbook display of repetition and unity in design, it's original, it's interesting, and it's fun. If I was going to design a uniform that Notre Dame would wear permanently, this wouldn't be it, but as a one-time uniform, I love it.

It's crap like this (and the shenanigans that Nike and Under Armour pull as well) which illustrate why the NCAA needs to step in and create more concrete uniform rules. It's no longer just a Phil Knight thing. Kevin Plank and whoever's in charge of Adidas in the US are just as culpable in this mess.

NFL-style rules about uniforms would never fly, but the NCAA needs to draw a line.

I see your point, but I much prefer a wild one-time-only uniform than an Oregon or Oklahoma State-esque approach in which you never know what your team is going to look like.

Hmm, so thje only guy that likes it is on adidas' payroll...

you know that has nothing to do with it. hes free to think for himself. at least Andrew can critique the uniform and state a case for WHY he likes it instead of just saying "its terrible" or "i love it". I'll have a LOT to say about this uniform soon, but ill be on the other side from Andrew on this one.

im starting to get the feeling thats an Army helmet. . . .

unless it's Navy *ducks*

Except I do think it has something to do with it (or I wouldn't have brought it up). It is an offensive uniform (save for the shirt).

well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. hes not their PR guy and i dont think the designs even came from his building or people he works directly with. he gave a good critique of the uniform explaining why he liked it. im not a fan of the uniform either but to say he likes it just because of the manufacturer is taking it a bit too far. i dont think anyone here is THAT bias

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

So, I've been catching up with this thread since I've finally got the time (& wading through countless arguments...)

• Oregon's uniforms look pretty good now that they fixed those godawful numbers. That green helmet is going to look amazing on the field under the lights.
  • Notre Dame's one-off looks a :censored: ing mess. A :censored: ING MESS. This is probably the most desperate "Hey recruits...uh, we ha- I mean, we have kewl unis, too. You don't have to wear those boring old uniforms all the time. We can has cool stuff too!!!" attempt I've ever seen. I mean, wow, when you make Maryland's flag uniforms look conservative, you :censored: ed up. BAD.
  • It amazes me that adidas COMPLETELY :censored: ed up that Notre Dame one-off while giving Mississippi State a HUGE upgrade (IMO) from their previous uniforms. Can you be any more bipolar?

Oregon jerseys, to save you a click:

A0d25kRCYAAktN_.jpg

I think the black looks the worst. Why not do a gloss on top of the black like the Rose Bowl jerseys kinda? I guess you could say that about the yellow one too. The green one looks pretty great though.

The jerseys are not as bad as the helmet....I just don't get why teams want a helmet without a logo. I can see teams like Navy, Ohio State, Alabama, but for non-traditional teams to remove the logo does not make sense..aka Maryland and Oregon.

Every college football fan who turns on a TV will immediately know they're watching Oregon. So, from a branding perspective, mission accomplished. I really thought they were gonna stick with the previous wing design for a long time, but then again, why would they? They're Oregon. If they're not pushing the envelope and offending a few uniform snobs along the way, they're not living up to their reputation.

how would every fan know they were watching oregon? they have entirely new uniforms and possibly new helmets that don't sport any contrasting markings. if this offseason has taught us anything it's that very few teams will have a consistent look or color scheme week over week this season.

Well, those Oregon jerseys aren't official without the Pac 12 logo (prob retail as said before) so here's hoping the helmets are lies and they wear the one thing that hasn't changed over the last decade ('cept the Rose Bowl and 2006 flamer helmet), the 'O' on both sides of the helmet.

Well, those Oregon jerseys aren't official without the Pac 12 logo (prob retail as said before) so here's hoping the helmets are lies and they wear the one thing that hasn't changed over the last decade ('cept the Rose Bowl and 2006 flamer helmet), the 'O' on both sides of the helmet.

If you want to ignore reality, you can, but those are obviously retail (not game) and it seems pretty clear that is what they are going to wear on the field. Not sure why everyone seems so upset by that. I liked their last template and these are just a more refined version of those.

If you want to ignore reality, you can

YAY! :birthday:

but those are obviously retail (not game) and it seems pretty clear that is what they are going to wear on the field. Not sure why everyone seems so upset by that. I liked their last template and these are just a more refined version of those.

I like the jerseys, I'm just trying to rationalize why the helmets might be fake because I dislike them. I think they're dumb (wings don't originate on skulls), pretty unattractive (shiny on shiny? Really?) and muddle the brand (The only consistent part of Oregon's identity since 1999 was the logo on the helmet, save for two games.)

Oregon's new green helmet looks AMAZING... that being said, it is kind of silly to not use your team's logo. Especially in college when the logo defines your school so much. As a WVU fan, I'd be devastated if we ever stopped using the flying WV on our helmets.

Those Oregon helmets could very well be Eastern Michigan's.

I like the wing helmets as a one off, but throughout the regular season Oregon should have their O on both sides of their helmets.

90758391980.gif

Loving the new shade of green.

Well, it's the actual school color. Or at least, the green they used before they became Nike's guinea pigs.

And that's exactly why I love it! Might not be "new", but it's kinda new since they wore those darker green unis. Looks a lot like their Fighting Duck jerseys, and those looked nice to me.

Man I hope you are right about the helmet being a one-off use and the logo remains on the normal helmets.

spacer.png

I like the jerseys, I'm just trying to rationalize why the helmets might be fake because I dislike them. I think they're dumb (wings don't originate on skulls), pretty unattractive (shiny on shiny? Really?) and muddle the brand (The only consistent part of Oregon's identity since 1999 was the logo on the helmet, save for two games.)

Do you not like the Eagles helmet? I don't recall anyone complaining about it.

Oregon-Ducks-2012-Helmet-02.jpeg

body appears to be faux carbon-fiber and the wings liquidchrome

I think this helmet would look a lot better if they reversed the carbon fiber and liquidchrome.

If they outlined the wings in green or yellow would do wonders.

spacer.png

Do you not like the Eagles helmet? I don't recall anyone complaining about it.

That helmet design originated decades before I was born. It's grandfathered in. Exception that proves the rule and such.

The standard double O helmet was the one constant that held together a fractious and ever changing identity. Without it, I think Oregon suffers from poor identity and bad. (yes, "bad" is a noun in that sentence.)

But I shouldn't even be having this argument/conversation with you because clearly you're an irrational person, what with your Chief Illiniwek avatar - a super racist mascot that infamously shucked and jived it's way into NCAA obliteration and yet silly white Illini fans cling to the last vestiges of the racism of their youth.

A0d25kRCYAAktN_.jpg

Why does the black alternate have an Oregon "shield" logo on the chest, while the others just feature the standard O logo?

Is black supposed to be all "military" and "hard?" They get a shield?

The discrepancy bugs me.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

But I shouldn't even be having this argument/conversation with you because clearly you're an irrational person, what with your Chief Illiniwek avatar - a super racist mascot that infamously shucked and jived it's way into NCAA obliteration and yet silly white Illini fans cling to the last vestiges of the racism of their youth.

Translation: You caught me. I have nothing intelligent to say, so I will just say some retarded stuff to try to attack you and cover up for my gaffe. Oops!

Maybe you need to take a few days away from the message board. You have been a snarky, whiny bitch of late.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Wow! I can't believe you went there. I'm going to try my best to not respond to your idiotic and obviously uninformed comment about Chief Illiniwek, who is not a mascot by the way. This thread is about uniforms.

Translation: You caught me. I have nothing intelligent to say, so I will just say some retarded stuff to try to attack you and cover up for my gaffe. Oops!

Maybe you need to take a few days away from the message board. You have been a snarky, whiny bitch of late.

yeah, if you remove the 2/3 of my post where I make my cogent argument against the winged helmet, it does look that way.

I just don't think the winged helmet is better or even as good as the double O. They, imo, have taken away the only thread linking these to these.

Perhaps the Illiniwek comment seemed unnecessary, but I find defending such a racist mascot pretty unnecessary myself.

yeah, if you remove the 2/3 of my post where I make my cogent argument against the winged helmet, it does look that way.

I just don't think the winged helmet is better or even as good as the double O. They, imo, have taken away the only thread linking these to these.

Perhaps the Illiniwek comment seemed unnecessary, but I find defending such a racist mascot pretty unnecessary myself.

If Chief Illiniwek is a racist symbol (not mascot), then why is the current Chief Illiniwek a Native American?

Archived