College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Wait... what? Notre Dame's wearing a half-gold/half-blue helmet?

Why, God? Why?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait... what? Notre Dame's wearing a half-gold/half-blue helmet?

Why, God? Why?

Don't worry, they aren't.

It's more like 3/5ths gold, 2/5ths blue.

To which I say...

Why, God? Why?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

574530_405664142815769_1200837347_n.jpg

HGI posted this image. Now they are "covering" up the front bumper, but I'm starting to second guess the Army guess... To me that word doesn't say ARMY. You can kinda see the third letter, which doesn't look like an M. Unless they are using a slogan or a different font. Maybe it a stencil font, but I donno. thoughts?

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

I still think it's Army. The last letter is obviously a 'Y', and his finger is covering just enough of the letter next to it to make it look like a 'V', but the diagonal is too steep for that. Pretty sure there's an 'M' under there somewhere.

And you may be right about the stencil font. If you look closely, you can kind of see a break in the lettering for what should be the 'M', on the left side. That, to me, would make sense.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

Notre_Dame_Golden_Dome1.jpg

Excellent representation!

As far as the uniform, everyone knows that I have always been about modern designs. With that being said, I like the logo (is it only on 1 side? If so, then I hate it too) on the helmet, I like the pants, the jersey will do, but I absolutely hate everything else. The helmet would have been if they just went with blue or gold with the pants striping down the middle. But no, they went and F'd up what could have been a great design.

All

Day

I

Dream

About

Screwing up uniforms

spacer.png

574530_405664142815769_1200837347_n.jpg

HGI posted this image. Now they are "covering" up the front bumper, but I'm starting to second guess the Army guess... To me that word doesn't say ARMY. You can kinda see the third letter, which doesn't look like an M. Unless they are using a slogan or a different font. Maybe it a stencil font, but I donno. thoughts?

It's army and it's a stencil font. Like so:

ARMYWORDMARK.jpg

Let's put this to bed.

It's crap like this (and the shenanigans that Nike and Under Armour pull as well) which illustrate why the NCAA needs to step in and create more concrete uniform rules. It's no longer just a Phil Knight thing. Kevin Plank and whoever's in charge of Adidas in the US are just as culpable in this mess.

NFL-style rules about uniforms would never fly, but the NCAA needs to draw a line.

It's army and it's a stencil font. Like so:

ARMYWORDMARK.jpg

Let's put this to bed.

Yeah, now that I look closely, you can see a little bit of the left (not sure if this is the right word) "leg" of the M above the index finger.

looks like Adidas did some color adjusting to get all the gold to match in the promo shots but what we're seeing in the actual unveiling is there is at least an appearance of 3 different golds because all the material is so different. Im quite disappointed

I counted 5.

Did HGI make these helmets?

spacer.png

looks like Adidas did some color adjusting to get all the gold to match in the promo shots but what we're seeing in the actual unveiling is there is at least an appearance of 3 different golds because all the material is so different. Im quite disappointed

I counted 5.

more than likely;

helmet, gloves, pants, uniform numbers, and what is the fifth? cleats? socks? undersleeve?

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

I counted 5.

i think this company made them they made last years shamrock helmet. http://www.facebook.com/troyleedesigns.tld

Letsgoblue.png

holland_hs_sig.pngHollandMichiganPNG_zps9365937b.png

Maybe if there's enough backlash they'll use the regular helmets for the game...maybe...otherwise I may have to take my talents to Bloomington.

Like last year, these helmets were all handmade (hand-decorated?) by Troy Lee Designs. Real gold leaf turned by skilled craftsmen is probably worth quite a bit. I would all but guarantee these will not go to waste.

Here's what I get from these: Obvious vintage racing influence with the striping, the finishes, the asymmetrical elements, et al, which makes sense for Notre Dame (vintage) and Indiana/Michigan, as well as Troy Lee Designs (racing). The most interesting part about this for me, though, is the relationship between the left and right side. Look at the right side, and this is a total departure for Notre Dame, but look at it from the left side, and it's a very standard Notre Dame uniform cut from their own DNA, and a great looking one at that.

What makes it work, though, is the care shown in the design. The white stripe permeates throughout the uniform in a nearly perfect way. The helmet, the outlines on the numerals, the solid white graphics and team/player name lettering, the stripes on the ends of the undershirt, the edges of the pant stripe, the center stripe on the socks; it's a textbook display of repetition and unity in design, it's original, it's interesting, and it's fun. If I was going to design a uniform that Notre Dame would wear permanently, this wouldn't be it, but as a one-time uniform, I love it.

It's crap like this (and the shenanigans that Nike and Under Armour pull as well) which illustrate why the NCAA needs to step in and create more concrete uniform rules. It's no longer just a Phil Knight thing. Kevin Plank and whoever's in charge of Adidas in the US are just as culpable in this mess.

NFL-style rules about uniforms would never fly, but the NCAA needs to draw a line.

I see your point, but I much prefer a wild one-time-only uniform than an Oregon or Oklahoma State-esque approach in which you never know what your team is going to look like.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived