College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

Those SDSU helmets...

Left side: KILL IT WITH FIRE

Center: Add some black to the logo and it'll look great

Right side: That's their standard helmet, right?

Disagree. Not only are the first things that comes to mind when I think of the Aztecs is some of the unique helmets they've worn over the years, but digi-cam makes perfect sense for a team based in a military town.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did any of you actually read the article?

Anyway, it's a shame that this kid won't take Nike and the Mizzou football program to task for possibly lifting his design. Apparently, all he wants is recognition if what he's heard is true and the helmet indeed does look 'shockingly similar' to his work. Design is devalued again.

His design? He took the logo that Mizzou already owned and just made it bigger on a helmet. If anything, Mizzou should tell him to stop infringing on their logos.

Watch the movie 'Flash of Genius.' It's about a guy who gets his design stolen by an automotive conglomerate. He sues the company and their whole defense centers around the idea that he just took something that was already there (the windshield wiper) and changed a few things around to make it better. The best scene goes like this:

"I have here a book. It's by Charles Dickens. It's called 'A Tale of Two Cities.' Have you, have you ever read this book?"

"Objection, Your Honor. It's not relevant."

"Your Honor, please, if I could just continue?"

"How long will it take to get to the point, Doctor?"

"Not very long at all."

"Okay. Let's see what happens."

"Have you ever read this?"

"Yes. Read it in high school. Very good book."

"Yes, it is. I'd like to read you the first few words, if I may. 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness.' Let's start with the first word, 'It.' Did Charles Dickens create that word?"

"No."

"No. What about 'was?'"

"Your Honor, is Mr. Kearns gonna go through the whole dictionary?"

"Please, if I could just continue. I do have a point."

"You may answer the question."

"No."

"'The?'"

"No."

"'Best'?"

"No."

"'Times'?"

"Look. I got a dictionary here. I haven't checked, but I would guess that every word that's in this book can be found in this dictionary."

"Well, I suspect that's probably true."

"Okay, so then you agree that there's not, probably a single new word in this book."

"Well, I don't know, but that's probably true."

"All Charles Dickens did was arrange them into a new pattern, isn't that right?"

"Well, I admit I haven't thought about it in that way."

"Dickens did create something new, didn't he? By using words."

Point is, just because a helmet design is created using an existing logo doesn't mean its not an original idea that belongs to the person who first created it. There's a lot of work there, from the tonal tiger stripes to the size and placement of the logo, etc. It also reminds me of Tenacious D's 'One Note Song.'

Kyle Gass:

"But it's just one note. Anybody coulda wrote it."

Jack Black:

"Yeah, but guess who did write it. ME.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Did any of you actually read the article?

Anyway, it's a shame that this kid won't take Nike and the Mizzou football program to task for possibly lifting his design. Apparently, all he wants is recognition if what he's heard is true and the helmet indeed does look 'shockingly similar' to his work. Design is devalued again.

His design? He took the logo that Mizzou already owned and just made it bigger on a helmet. If anything, Mizzou should tell him to stop infringing on their logos.

Watch the movie 'Flash of Genius.' It's about a guy who gets his design stolen by an automotive conglomerate. He sues the company and their whole defense centers around the idea that he just took something that was already there (the windshield wiper) and changed a few things around to make it better. The best scene goes like this:

"I have here a book. It's by Charles Dickens. It's called 'A Tale of Two Cities.' Have you, have you ever read this book?"

"Objection, Your Honor. It's not relevant."

"Your Honor, please, if I could just continue?"

"How long will it take to get to the point, Doctor?"

"Not very long at all."

"Okay. Let's see what happens."

"Have you ever read this?"

"Yes. Read it in high school. Very good book."

"Yes, it is. I'd like to read you the first few words, if I may. 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness.' Let's start with the first word, 'It.' Did Charles Dickens create that word?"

"No."

"No. What about 'was?'"

"Your Honor, is Mr. Kearns gonna go through the whole dictionary?"

"Please, if I could just continue. I do have a point."

"You may answer the question."

"No."

"'The?'"

"No."

"'Best'?"

"No."

"'Times'?"

"Look. I got a dictionary here. I haven't checked, but I would guess that every word that's in this book can be found in this dictionary."

"Well, I suspect that's probably true."

"Okay, so then you agree that there's not, probably a single new word in this book."

"Well, I don't know, but that's probably true."

"All Charles Dickens did was arrange them into a new pattern, isn't that right?"

"Well, I admit I haven't thought about it in that way."

"Dickens did create something new, didn't he? By using words."

Point is, just because a helmet design is created using an existing logo doesn't mean its not an original idea that belongs to the person who first created it. There's a lot of work there, from the tonal tiger stripes to the size and placement of the logo, etc. It also reminds me of Tenacious D's 'One Note Song.'

Kyle Gass:

"But it's just one note. Anybody coulda wrote it."

Jack Black:

"Yeah, but guess who did write it. ME.

That was a great movie.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I remember hearing rumors about Texas getting new uniforms and we would see them during the spring. Well, I have been to some practices and hadn't seen anything new...until yesterday. Kenny Vaccarro was wearing one of the new uniforms that Oregon wore in the Rose bowl.

Check out the Chain Maille Mesh on the name plate.

6821743434_a271f0a070_o.jpg

rose-bowl-uniforms-2012.jpg

He wasn't wearing them in the earliest spring practices, but I'm not sure if the 8th was the first day he had.

I remember hearing rumors about Texas getting new uniforms and we would see them during the spring. Well, I have been to some practices and hadn't seen anything new...until yesterday. Kenny Vaccarro was wearing one of the new uniforms that Oregon wore in the Rose bowl.

Check out the Chain Maille Mesh on the name plate.

6821743434_a271f0a070_o.jpg

rose-bowl-uniforms-2012.jpg

ah yes ye old chain maille mesh...

gotta love marketing people continuously justifying their employment

I don't see anything strange with that photo from Texas' practice.

The font/letter size on the nameplate is different. Look at Vaccaro. Look at M. Thompson.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The entire jersey template is different. The name plate is the best giveaway, but the rest is visible if you are familiar with Nike jersey cuts.

The entire jersey template is different. The name plate is the best giveaway, but the rest is visible if you are familiar with Nike jersey cuts.

the back panel is pretty obvious as well...it also looks like there aren't any tv numbers but I'm not sure

the back panel is pretty obvious as well...it also looks like there aren't any tv numbers but I'm not sure

These are just Texas' practice jerseys so there are no tv numbers or stripes (only TEXAS and front and back numbers), but it meants Texas is testing out the newest Nike template. Doubt it means Texas is going with a crazy design, but even a switch to these would be interesting since Texas hasn't used the Flywire pro combat unis or speed machine unis.

Haven't seen theses posted in here yet. These are Amry's spring game jerseys.

Army-Spring-Game-Jersey-Infantry.jpg

Army-Spring-Game-Jersey-Armor.jpg

I like those. Nice and clean. I love that number font as well, glad they brought that back from the '11 Pro Combats.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

These are just Texas' practice jerseys so there are no tv numbers or stripes (only TEXAS and front and back numbers), but it meants Texas is testing out the newest Nike template. Doubt it means Texas is going with a crazy design, but even a switch to these would be interesting since Texas hasn't used the Flywire pro combat unis or speed machine unis.

didn't they do the 1st season of pro combat?...it was white without tv numbers so could that be its origin?

didn't they do the 1st season of pro combat?...it was white without tv numbers so could that be its origin?

Yes, they did participate in the 1st season of pro combat. No, this couldn't be the origin. This is a different template. So far only Oregon (in the Rose Bowl) has worn this template.

Those Army jerseys are sick. They should definitely switch to those full time.

They are great. Only thing is I love the grey and gold sleeve stripes.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived