Primary Mark 4 (Black background, flat, non-metallic Silver):

CarolinaPanthers_PMK02b_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

Primary Mark 5 (Panther Blue background, metallic Silver):

CarolinaPanthers_PMK03a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

Primary Mark 6 (Panther Blue background, flat, non-metallic Silver):

CarolinaPanthers_PMK03b_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

Primary Mark 7 (Metallic Silver background, metallic Silver):

CarolinaPanthers_PMK04a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

Primary Mark 8 (Flat, non-metallic Silver background, flat, non-metallic Silver):

CarolinaPanthers_PMK04b_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

This is why you need a keyline version. The entire right half of the logo gets distorted, and the whole set of whiskers just disappear.This logo retains its integrity against black, but not blue.

According to the color guide they use some black whiskers on the right side against a blue blackground.

63WpU.jpg

Blue background will probably be most common on tshirts, I imagine.

This is why you need a keyline version. The entire right half of the logo gets distorted, and the whole set of whiskers just disappear.

This logo retains its integrity against black, but not blue.

Ack. I made a mistake. There's a separate version for use against a Blue background I missed.

I'll post a correction in a bit.

Re: Powersurge, I have nothing at all against modernising the logo, and agree that is definitely a good modernisation, I was just wondering what the 'issue' was with updating the logo and otherwise not changing things.

oh okay. no worries.

I 'm usually not a fan of unnecessary changes either, but I'm also a proponent in making something better if you can indeed make it better. In this case I think it was a move in the right direction. I'm just wary about the unis.

This is why you need a keyline version. The entire right half of the logo gets distorted, and the whole set of whiskers just disappear.This logo retains its integrity against black, but not blue.

According to the color guide they use some black whiskers on the right side against a blue blackground.

63WpU.jpg

Blue background will probably be most common on tshirts, I imagine.

Okay...seeing this version, and the bigger optimized versions that CWx posted, really illustrate (if you'll excuse the pun) another key thing, actually two, that really eats up under my skin about this logo:

1.) The highlight of the lowet jaw goes WAY too high up into the roof of the mouth. Unless this cat has a serious case of underjaw, there's no way that much of the bottom jaw shoukd be visible from that vantage point.

2.) This is really apparent on all three versions, but most noticeable on the blue background. Take a look at the far side of the face. Whiskers come out the snout; on that side, its as if they come out the side of the cheek.

Just another palm to add to the face, I guess.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I remember when this was the board that told people that artistic/creative license is a good thing when rendering animals for a logo.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's a damn sight better than what they had. That thing was tres 90s.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

This is why you need a keyline version. The entire right half of the logo gets distorted, and the whole set of whiskers just disappear.

I've always thought keylines were kind of an easy way out. I always try to design logos that either work without them, or that have keylines that are more interesting than the average keyline. Maybe they only separate some of the mark, or maybe they interact with the mark in some way. Anything but the solid white line all the way around the logo. Those always make a logo stick out like a sore thumb in the context of a uniform, which I think is where a logo should be judged.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I agree with everyone else. This logo, overall, is fantastic. But, the rendering looks unfinished in the sense that there are some choppy areas that need refining. Obvious, choppy areas, that could be fixed in a jiffy. And the logo needs a keyline bad. It looks awful on the blue background.

I've always thought keylines were kind of an easy way out. I always try to design logos that either work without them, or that have keylines that are more interesting than the average keyline. Maybe they only separate some of the mark, or maybe they interact with the mark in some way. Anything but the solid white line all the way around the logo. Those always make a logo stick out like a sore thumb in the context of a uniform, which I think is where a logo should be judged.

Normally I would be 100% opposed to this as I think keylines make the logo easier to apply anywhere thus expanding the brand, but you made an excellent argument here and as for the Panthers, im starting to agree with you.

Nobody ... I mean nobody ... circles the wagons like The Buffalo Bills

I think I mentioned it earlier, I'm sure it's been said earlier, but three variations of the logo with a keyline do exist in the logo slick: silver, white and black. However, it says they can only be used for embroidery, and thus the keyline must be recolored to match the color of the shirt or w/e it's being embroidered onto.

Normally I would be 100% opposed to this as I think keylines make the logo easier to apply anywhere thus expanding the brand, but you made an excellent argument here and as for the Panthers, im starting to agree with you.

It is, bar none, the most overlooked part of designing sports logos. Not everyone spends time thinking about how it will be used on different background colors.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived