Illinois Playing with new helmet designs

OchentaYOcho88

If they want to go wordmark, I'd rather see "Illinois" than "Illini"; not for "PC" reasons, but because using the school name seems more "College" than using the nickname. I am, for example, very glad that Wisconsin does not use "Badgers" on their hoops jerseys (even at home).

Didn't UW have hockey jerseys that said "Badgers" not too long ago? My litmus test for colleges using nicknames on jerseys is whether or not the name is unique enough for people to free associate it with the university. In this case, Illini (and Badgers) works. Although I'm a little biased because I really liked the U of I's hoops unis from the Kendall Gill era.

GillKendall-lg.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they want to go wordmark, I'd rather see "Illinois" than "Illini"; not for "PC" reasons, but because using the school name seems more "College" than using the nickname. I am, for example, very glad that Wisconsin does not use "Badgers" on their hoops jerseys (even at home).

Didn't UW have hockey jerseys that said "Badgers" not too long ago? My litmus test for colleges using nicknames on jerseys is whether or not the name is unique enough for people to free associate it with the university. In this case, Illini (and Badgers) works. Although I'm a little biased because I really liked the U of I's hoops unis from the Kendall Gill era.

They wore a one-timer for one of the outdoor games at either Camp Randall or Lambeau.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Although I'm a little biased because I really liked the U of I's hoops unis from the Kendall Gill era.

GillKendall-lg.jpg

Getting nostalgic just looking at that...cue up the CBS College Basketball theme...

I was a huge fan of those unis, especially the orange set (which debuted in what, 1990?) If I remember right, all three sets had "Fighting Illini". The navy unis were pretty stellar too. Overall, just a solid look.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Although I'm a little biased because I really liked the U of I's hoops unis from the Kendall Gill era.

GillKendall-lg.jpg

Getting nostalgic just looking at that...cue up the CBS College Basketball theme...

I was a huge fan of those unis, especially the orange set (which debuted in what, 1990?) If I remember right, all three sets had "Fighting Illini". The navy unis were pretty stellar too. Overall, just a solid look.

Yes, all three (blue, white, orange) had Fighting Illini on them. Great uniforms. I really think at least one of Illinois' uniforms should have Fighting Illini on it now. Currently, the whites say "Illini" and the oranges and blues both say "Illinois." Why not have one say "Illini" (whites), another have "Illinois" (blues) and the other have "Fighting Illini" (orange)? That would be pretty cool.

Part of the reason the blue helmet looks so good is because we are so used to seeing the orange. Had we been use to seeing blue helmets, a new orange one would be good too. I big part of the appeal is the block I. Having a whole world on the helmet is annoying. The block I on any helmet would look better than the entire word.

I just hope they don't have a black facemask.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

The "I" could mean anything (well, anything that starts with an I.) Does Illinois have any history with just an I? I wouldn't see that and think of Illinois at all - of course I don't watch much college sports, but I've always known them by their NY Giants knock-off script.

I think they look great in orange helmets and navy jerseys, and the white arched text is way better than the blue. I'm big on colleges designing around their school marks rather than a mascot, so I'd prefer ILLINOIS to ILLINI (plus, ILLINI just looks funny - too many vertical lines.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If they want to go wordmark, I'd rather see "Illinois" than "Illini"; not for "PC" reasons, but because using the school name seems more "College" than using the nickname. I am, for example, very glad that Wisconsin does not use "Badgers" on their hoops jerseys (even on the road).

I'm fine with the school using the nickname on their home uniforms as long as they are the single (or even clearly the most well-known) user of the nickname.

Gophers, Badgers, Hawkeyes, Buckeyes, Illini, Hoosiers, Boilermakers, Cornhuskers, Nittany Lions, and Wolverines would all be fine.

Wildcats and Spartans would not.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

If they want to go wordmark, I'd rather see "Illinois" than "Illini"; not for "PC" reasons, but because using the school name seems more "College" than using the nickname. I am, for example, very glad that Wisconsin does not use "Badgers" on their hoops jerseys (even on the road).

I'm fine with the school using the nickname on their home uniforms as long as they are the single (or even clearly the most well-known) user of the nickname.

Gophers, Badgers, Hawkeyes, Buckeyes, Illini, Hoosiers, Boilermakers, Cornhuskers, Nittany Lions, and Wolverines would all be fine.

Wildcats and Spartans would not.

They've been wearing these since the Nike redesign...

2010-2011-kalin-lucas-michigan-state-basketball-jersey_over.jpg

spacer.png

The "I" could mean anything (well, anything that starts with an I.) Does Illinois have any history with just an I? I wouldn't see that and think of Illinois at all - of course I don't watch much college sports, but I've always known them by their NY Giants knock-off script.

I think they look great in orange helmets and navy jerseys, and the white arched text is way better than the blue. I'm big on colleges designing around their school marks rather than a mascot, so I'd prefer ILLINOIS to ILLINI (plus, ILLINI just looks funny - too many vertical lines.)

They've never worn just a block I on the helmets. They've worn an arched script similar to the one shown but in a different font in the 70s and 80s until the current ILLINOIS script was introduced. The arched script was always blue outlined in white and the Giants knockoff was white and a blue outline was added a little less than a decade ago. I'd love if they combined the two eras and wore the arched script in white with a blue outline. The block I looks awkward on a helmet. I think it's too vertical to work on the shape of the helmet.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

For some reason, I always prefer the traditional gray facemask, regardless of the other colors present and what team is wearing it. Does anyone else feel this way? I just love the look of the neutral gray. And I think gray looks great with orange. I never liked the orange facemask on orange helmet the Illini used to wear.

You know what I'd like to see on that matte blue helmet, though?

Chief_illiniwek_logo.gif

+1

...but that's such an offensive logo...?

:therock:

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Helmet wise, I like the Navy shell with the orange block "I" most of the three. However, I am more concerned with the numerous fonts which they now use. There are too many.

One for the athletic department overall, one on the basketball uniforms, and now another one on the baselines at Assembly Hall. There are probably others used for baseball and softball, but that's too d@mn many. Tighten it all up, Cham-tucky!

The problem with Illinois is it really doesn't have a logo identity except the chief. But we all know that logo won't, and can't, be used, so Illinois needs to try something different.

To me, a word isn't a logo. That's why the block I, or a block I in a circle, would be great. I think it's something Illini fans could rally around.

I don't care if it's with the orange or blue helmets, or even both. Illinois needs to develop something, and it just seems the I has it.

I love the Block I - and even the Nike-created Block-I-in-Circle logo. And of the three helmets, the matte blue looks the best IMO. But I would really love Illinois to embrace the orange over the blue more. I'd like to see a matte orange with a blue/white block I...not sure it would work, but I'd like to see it.

Archived