Illinois Playing with new helmet designs

OchentaYOcho88

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the white text version. Looks like the same font and everything as the basketball uniforms, plus a nice little nod to the past without being too over the top.

I really like the matte blue one as well. I think using the white text orange helmet full time and then the navy for "special games" or one offs would be pretty cool. Illinois has a little history breaking out the Navy Pants for big games and maybe that could be paired with the navy helmet for big games?

Glad to see they are updating from that horrible Giants ripoff though. I've hated that for as long as I've cared about such things...

I love the white text version. Looks like the same font and everything as the basketball uniforms, plus a nice little nod to the past without being too over the top.

I really like the matte blue one as well. I think using the white text orange helmet full time and then the navy for "special games" or one offs would be pretty cool. Illinois has a little history breaking out the Navy Pants for big games and maybe that could be paired with the navy helmet for big games?

Glad to see they are updating from that horrible Giants ripoff though. I've hated that for as long as I've cared about such things...

I already posted in the other thread and it was almost exactly the same as this. I love how the script on the orange helmets both matches the script used by the basketball team now and is similar in the overall idea to the 80s helmets. The blue matte helmet is a nice look at all, but I wouldn't want to see it too much. I don't think we've ever used anything other than an orange helmet, so I don't want to stray too far from that. But wearing the blue matte for a game each year would be nice. I really hope they decide to use these, it would be a nice update. And I'd have to imagine that a uniform change would go along with that. I don't necessarily think the current uniforms are bad, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

If they go with the Matte BLue I would like to see it with a grey or orange facemask.....Also did anyone else notice the paper with jerseys on it, I mean I think we all asume there due for new uniforms.

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

If they go with the Matte BLue I would like to see it with a grey or orange facemask.....Also did anyone else notice the paper with jerseys on it, I mean I think we all asume there due for new uniforms.

The papers are the concept that wILL-INI did and posted in the Concept section. If you blow up the picture you'll see the sheets are exactly the same as the sheets he posted on here.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page:

The Matte Blue looks terrible and doesn't fit Illinois. The Illini look best with orange lids-leave blue for the Bears.

Besides, the block I has historically been used on Indiana football helmets. I'd think you'd want to avoid comparisons to Indiana.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'd go with the blue one too, just because its different. I really wish they could get some sort of Fighting Alini, chief head logo. But ever is so gotdamn sensitive, it will never happen.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Can we please avoid turning this into Chief Illinwek Debate #7842105... thanks!

I like the matte blue the best, but the orange with white lettering fits their current identity. They really can't go wrong in any direction though.

On 1/31/2012 at 7:15 PM, BroadSt_Bully said:

I'm wondering what a matte orange helmet would look like, with a white-outlined blue Block-'I'.

You know what I'd like to see on that matte blue helmet, though?

That's what almost all of the user comments say...

(Avoiding the usual issue...) I think this would not look good on a helmet. Smaller detail does not look great on a small canvass like a football helmet, in my opinion...but I am biased; my least favorite helmets are Fresno State, TCU, ect.

I love the matte blue. If the U of I fans think they should keep orange, I'd like to see matte orange with the colors reversed.

If they want to go wordmark, I'd rather see "Illinois" than "Illini"; not for "PC" reasons, but because using the school name seems more "College" than using the nickname. I am, for example, very glad that Wisconsin does not use "Badgers" on their hoops jerseys (even on the road).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived