Update: Lance Armstrong to admit doping on Oprah

CS85

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as a post script on Lance Armstrong, the UCI has accepted USADA's report, and Armstrong has therefore been stripped of his titles. A decision on Friday about what to do with Armstrong's TdeF titles. It's likely they will remain vacant.

Probably for the best. I was reading somewhere that one year's would have to go back to 17th place to find a rider not convicted at some point of being a doping cheat. Which pretty much says it all about how bad the drug problem in cycling really has become.

Had become. In the last 5 or 6 years cycling has improved its record a great deal. It recognised the size of the problem, and have started to deal with the issue. Performances have dropped.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Just as a post script on Lance Armstrong, the UCI has accepted USADA's report, and Armstrong has therefore been stripped of his titles. A decision on Friday about what to do with Armstrong's TdeF titles. It's likely they will remain vacant.

Probably for the best. I was reading somewhere that one year's would have to go back to 17th place to find a rider not convicted at some point of being a doping cheat. Which pretty much says it all about how bad the drug problem in cycling really has become.

Had become. In the last 5 or 6 years cycling has improved its record a great deal. It recognised the size of the problem, and have started to deal with the issue. Performances have dropped.

Or they're just waiting for the next batch of undetectable drugs.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Why should we care if bikers were on steroids? It's still a helluvah feat to ride a bike for 2,000 miles in three weeks, and it's not like they're racing against past Tours' times. Every course is different from year to year.

Besides, doping isn't cycling's biggest concern....the evolution of team racing has. It's become so much like Nascar now, where each team is pushing one rider to win the Tour instead of everyone racing for themselves. They need to abolish the use of radio communication between the cars and bike riders so that the sport can have some suspense again.

I'll admit, I was drawn to the Tour de France by the likes of Armstrong and Ulrich and Marco Pantani....back when they relied on instinct moreso than radios. I still casually watch the Tour de France, but aren't as much a fan because you rarely see suspense between the yellow jersey and those chasing.

So in short Lance wasn't cheating, he was just leveling the playing field.

End the race. The whole sport is crooked.

Exactly, the sport is a joke and will take years to recover, all because they wanted to destroy Lance, yet everyone else was just as dirty. There may come a point when PEDs are just accepted as part of the sport. If they are safe and taken under supervision or legally sold at GNC than maybe we need to just accept the fact its part of sports as much as weight lifting and Gatorade.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Or they're just waiting for the next batch of undetectable drugs.

Or they're already on the next batch of undetectable drugs.

Exactly, the sport is a joke and will take years to recover, all because they wanted to destroy Lance, yet everyone else was just as dirty. There may come a point when PEDs are just accepted as part of the sport. If they are safe and taken under supervision or legally sold at GNC than maybe we need to just accept the fact its part of sports as much as weight lifting and Gatorade.

PEDs are not sold legally, though.

Actually many are or were. Andro being one I can think of off the top of my head that was legal for many years until finally made illegal in 2004.

Actually many are or were. Andro being one I can think of off the top of my head that was legal for many years until finally made illegal in 2004.

Fair enough.

Ok for a start there is plenty of evidence that the UCI bent over backwards to not find Armstrong guilty of anything, and that is a major reason why cycling has got itself into so much grief in the last decade or so.

Second, I think the truth is actually, when you actually read the USADA report, and a mountain of journalism published over the last 6 or 7 years, that Armstrong destroyed himself. That he was so brazen and so obvious a cheater that the truth couldn't stay hidden for ever.

Again, not everyone was 'dirty' and plenty who wanted to be clean were lead to drugs by Armstrong. Armstrong didn't start taking drugs because he had to to compete, and hadn't been able to. He wasn't a reluctant cheat.

I don't agree with you're comments on PEDs in general. That's like saying that burglary is common so therefore one day there won't be such a thing as property. All sports will be vulnerable to drugs cheats, but all sports have a decent majority of athletes who want to compete clean, and see it as a test of the human body, not of the chemists test tube.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Yeah, there's no saving Lance's rep at this point. He cheated, he got caught, he's paying the price. Simple as that.

I appreciate the work he did for charity (self serving or not, good was done) but that doesn't excuse the cheating.

• 2 months later...

Archived