Steelers unveiling new throw/fauxbacks

eliminator jr

vhetj.jpg

The number tiles remind me of the old-fashioned Wheel of Fortune board (where Vanna actually had to turn the letters, not just touch a screen). She should be turning the tiles on these jerseys:

wof.jpg

The squares behind the numbers should glow in the dark or light up at night.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But when was that photograph labeled?

So did the Pirates become the Steelers or where they two different football clubs?

The Pirates become the Steelers. They "borrowed" the name of their city's baseball club when they were founded in the 1930s. Was pretty common at the time, trying to gain some instant credibility for what was a very minor-league sport.

People actually liking these on a design-based forum make me wonder what the hell is going on in the world today...

Good design has nothing to do with these uniforms. They're throwbacks. The originals came from a wacky era when teams weren't entirely sure what a football uniform should look like (to paraphrase illwauk). Of course the design is kind of terrible. The point with these wasn't to design a good looking uniform, it was to accurately replicate an older uniform to celebrate an anniversary.

In that regard these uniforms succeeded.

This is the design equivalent to this (because it's different, guys!)

Gotta love it. If this forum isn't full of traditionalists "who don't like change" then it's full of people who only like things because they're different.

I think a Seahawk fan should be very wary about applying such an adjective to another team's uniforms... :P

As a Seahawk fan who isn't a fan of our new look, all I can say is thanks for Pittsburgh for taking the heat off us on the uniform front.

They didn't. Pittsburgh will wear these twice ever. The Seahawks are going to look like clowns, albeit futuristic robot clowns, for at least the next five seasons.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

@ Icecap, maybe good design has nothing to do with these, but design does. Not that I was there, but it seems the point back then was to more easily differentiate the teams from the bleachers. There were no home and away sets, and the helmets and pants were all similar, so if two teams with the same color jerseys played, it would've been pretty tough to figure out what's what. Not so with the bumblebee suits.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

And speaking of which...has anyone checked on Paul Lukas to see if he's done skeeting all over himself?

(You know how that man is about his masturbatory love of stripes...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

@ Icecap, maybe good design has nothing to do with these, but design does. Not that I was there, but it seems the point back then was to more easily differentiate the teams from the bleachers. There were no home and away sets, and the helmets and pants were all similar, so if two teams with the same color jerseys played, it would've been pretty tough to figure out what's what. Not so with the bumblebee suits.

Maybe it was due to the photography of the time? They wanted something that came across bold, dynamic, and distinct in newsprint?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Maybe it was due to the photography of the time? They wanted something that came across bold, dynamic, and distinct in newsprint?

I think it's simpler than that...

this era of american football was simply a transitional period as football was separating from it's distant cousin known as rugby....if you go back to the turn of the century the uniforms between both sports was nearly identical...once football became more established and padding was introduced you started to see the uniforms starting to evolve in divergent paths.

the steelers/pirates stripes are simply a legacy of the hoops jersey style with the main difference being the front of the football jersey replicated number panels that are only worn on the backside of a rugby shirt.

personally I really dig the uniform as a throwback to an era when football was still developing its identity...if you look at the vintage photos you have what was a "pro" team about as ragtag as a modern intramural flag football team.

pure football nostalgia

Archived