Steelers unveiling new throw/fauxbacks

eliminator jr

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really do like this.

It seems a lot of you scream about how awful it is as if it's going to be the new permanent uniform.

In the context of what it is, a throwback honoring a part of the Steelers 80 year history, it's very cool.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Hey they took a chance, and good for them. It's fun, and far superior than a batwing throwback would have been. The one they wore in '94 would have been nice too, but this is so different than anything we've seen on a modern template that I think it's great (except for the helmets.)

If I was the Steelers (or the NFL), my concern would be in the merchandising opportunities (or lack thereof.) With the way replicas are cut, there's going to be a lot of stripes on them, especially the sleeves. I can't picture anyone other than hardcore collectors buying these. I certainly can't picture people who wear jerseys walking around casually in these things.

It's unfortunate that those are the kinds of things that they probably think about when they design these things, but it's fortunate that they decided that the money wasn't as important as the sentiment.

Tell Michigan there is no retail opportunity for a striped uniform. I know this has a striped body and Pittsburgh may be different than Michigan but they sold those striped replicas like crazy for Michigan and they were pretty different than the actual on field designs.

Really? I just can't picture your average fan walking down the street in one of these things. Maybe some would buy to wear to whatever game they wear them in, but if not the "have to have one of everything" type, I don't see it. They're really not going to be flattering on the XXL crowd.

You're forgetting that many people who buy and wear jerseys are fine purveyors of garishness and bad taste. Plus, being different is kind of trendy right now, as are stripes, so I can see these selling.

Personally, I love them, even as a full-timer, thought it's not my favorite Steelers uniform.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Im gonna say it... I like them better then they Packer's 29 throwbacks.

I'm pretty sure that everybody likes this better than the Packers' 29 throwbacks since those were ugly as sin and didn't look a damn bit like the Packers that we all know & love. :P

04172012_80thSeasonThrowbackUniform_04--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

What is that weird stripe done the center of the shoulder? (I know, there's a lot of weird stripes, but that one might be the weirdest.)

It just ends funny... and it seems to be a different material... not sure what they're trying to represent with it.

You know, as a special once or twice thing, I think these are pretty fun... I mean, if you're gonna look to the past, why the F not? Do it up.

But then, I thought the same thing about the Packers' navy with gold circle jerk, the broncos' brown and gold barber pole socks... even the Eagles' baby blue and yellow numbers. To me, the crazy nonsense from 60 - 70 years ago seems a lot less calculated and fun than the crazy nonsense from 2012 (cough Seahawks cough).

I like these. Even the fact that they're using the current helmet with them. A brown helmet (ala the Packers) would have been more accurate, but hey, helmets as we know them weren't used when these uniforms were originally worn, so that gives the team a bit of leeway, in my opinion.

Would I like these as the team's full time look? Not at all. For once or twice for one season to celebrate an anniversary? They're perfectly acceptable.

04172012_80thSeasonThrowbackUniform_04--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG?width=960&height=720

What is that weird stripe done the center of the shoulder? (I know, there's a lot of weird stripes, but that one might be the weirdest.)

It just ends funny... and it seems to be a different material... not sure what they're trying to represent with it.

There's a precedent for that stripe. The originals had it as well. Lukas has a whole write up on UniWatch today and he addresses that stripe. I felt the same way about it when I first saw it. "Do what now?" But now that I know that it's just furthering the accuracy of these, I think it's an excellent little detail.

Great Blog post on nfluniforms blog about the 1934 jerseys. They have some great evidence stating that the Steelers (Pirates) never wore these in 1934. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any actual photographic evidence of the Steelers wearing these in an actual game. It seems that the theory is that the Steelers wore the city crest uniforms with the vertical stripes at the start of the 1933 season and changed to the "1934" horizontal striped uniforms midway through (again, no photos of an actual game). In 1934, the Steelers wore plain yellow jerseys with black numbers.

Here's the link:

Part 1

Part 2

Archived