2012 London Olympics Thread

BigMac12

Is America the only country that tabulates medal standings by total medals won? It seems if I go to one of the US sports websites, the U.S. is ranked #1, if I go to any non-US website, China is ranked #1 and it's done by gold medals only...

Not that it matters today. We've got both leads by a good amount. Also as someone mentioned above, very interesting that UEFA had such a bad showing in soccer and CONCACAF in particular had such a great showing.

I wonder what chart the Americans would use if China had more medals, but the US more Golds? Personally total medals has always seemed a crazy way of listing a medal table! Why should 3rd be worth as much as a gold in a medal table?

It's like this year, the American way is congratulating the Russians on a bunch of "we're not the best in this but we're good enough to get silver or bronze"s.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is America the only country that tabulates medal standings by total medals won? It seems if I go to one of the US sports websites, the U.S. is ranked #1, if I go to any non-US website, China is ranked #1 and it's done by gold medals only...

Not that it matters today. We've got both leads by a good amount. Also as someone mentioned above, very interesting that UEFA had such a bad showing in soccer and CONCACAF in particular had such a great showing.

I wonder what chart the Americans would use if China had more medals, but the US more Golds? Personally total medals has always seemed a crazy way of listing a medal table! Why should 3rd be worth as much as a gold in a medal table?

Because in America, it's not about quality, it's about quantity! :flagusa:

:P

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Hulk pulled one back for Brazil and Oscar missed a very late header that would have been the equalizer. Congratulations to Mexico, they'll be a real contender when 2014 comes around.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Hulk pulled one back for Brazil and Oscar missed a very late header that would have been the equalizer. Congratulations to Mexico, they'll be a real contender when 2014 comes around.

Oscar's gonna be a grouch for weeks to come after missing that one, from point-blank range no less.

I almost forgot the most bizarre event: The Race Walk!

What's next, the Race Shuffle (i.e. both feet must be on the ground at all times)?

CCSLC signature.png

Watching the Olympic track events reminds me of my elementary school glory. I fondly remember my Grade 8 meet when I won a medal of every color: bronze in the 100m, silver in the 200m, and gold in the 100m relay. But my friend stole my thunder that day, winning gold in said events. I guess you could have considered him the Usain Bolt of that meet. I haven't done track since then, but I've decided I'm going to join my school team this year. That's right, I'm coming out of retirement! :P

Watching wrestling (which admittedly I don't know a lot about), the US guys seem to be getting screwed in the scoring, by what the announcers are saying at least whenever they match against Azerbaijan, which if you remember is the country that had the boxing "match-buying" controversy. Think that spilled over into wrestling? Not saying because it's against US. Could've been whoever they went up against.

Because the medal count is about counting total medals, not just "most gold medals".

As far as I know, there's no trophy given out for most golds or most medals won by the IOC. Why get so worked up about it?

The IOC has said they do not recognize countries as most medal winners.

Regarding medal count, I feel like American media has always listed it by total medals, regardless of whether the US was on top or not in any given games.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Well, Canada's goal was to finish top-12, and ended up 13th (2 out of 12th)- not bad. However, we were the only country that had 9+ medals with only 1 gold, which leaves a bit to be desired. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of our athletes and satisfied with how Canada did, but we still could've done a bit better.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived