Eastern Michigan new football uniforms for 2012

KJTALBOT

Not a bad look at all pretty nice actually. But then I think, Adidas can't even get simple stripes like nebraskas to look straight on that template, how in the world is a fairly complex shape compared to stripes gonna look in real life? Probably like a random green stain. I do like the design though, nice and clean.

Way to straight up copy oregons rose bowl promo shot with he wings btw, Adidas. Well played.

At least Oregon looks good when they don't wear school colors. Just grey and green look really bad together. They make it even worse with the combos that have white pants or helmets. These would actually be pretty good if they left out all of the grey stuff.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

i thought these leaked out awhile ago? basically they are confirmed now i guess; i don't really like the set and the addition of grey to the colors doesn't really look good to me ; the most LAUGHABLE part of the press release is them being referred to as an ELITE program ; to each his own i guess...

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

It's the new trend with small schools, where they see big schools doing things design wise and try to copy. Only problem is they fail, and end up looking like cheap ripoffs. Ohio did the same thing last year with the black uniforms/helmets and it looked even worse than the EMU designs. Easily the worst part of EMU's identity is that the logos are generic. Maybe a single letter will work for a big school like Nebraska or even Rutgers, but just a block E is as boring as it gets. Not to mention most casual fans wouldn't even know what them they were...

EMU has little to no football history to draw off of, so I understand why they constantly change things up, but come on! What's wrong with sticking to school colors and a traditional style uniform? Adding grey totally ruins the set, and the wannabe-Oregon wings are terrible too.

I like the white and green combinations. If they stuck with just those I'd like the set a lot better. Maybe a green facemask on the white helmet instead of all white.

I think the E on the helmet works for EMU, even if they aren't a big school, mostly because their eagle mascot logo is terrible.

Dark green? Check. Wing designs? Check. Multiple combinations? Check. Nothing about this builds any type of distinct EMU brand. It's just Oregon lite.

Side note, this is how the current uniform trend losses steam. When everyone starts looking like everyone else.

Grey-Green-Grey could be an interesting and unique look... especially if they took some inspiration from the early 80s Philadelphia Eagles. Unfortunately, this execution is lacking any kind of uniqueness or attempt at originality.

EMU has little to no football history to draw off of, so I understand why they constantly change things up, but come on! What's wrong with sticking to school colors and a traditional style uniform? Adding grey totally ruins the set, and the wannabe-Oregon wings are terrible too.

I like the white and green combinations. If they stuck with just those I'd like the set a lot better. Maybe a green facemask on the white helmet instead of all white.

I think the E on the helmet works for EMU, even if they aren't a big school, mostly because their eagle mascot logo is terrible.

Well, they do have these beauties from their only bowl appearance in school history:

California875.jpg

You're right though. Eastern's problem, identity wise, is that they use the same colors as a much more visible school that's only an hour away from their own campus, and on top of that, I think they also suffer from the same inferiority complex that all D1 schools from the Upper Midwest who aren't in the Big Ten seem to share. Grey and green can be a very striking combination when used correctly if for no other reason than you rarely see them, yet Eastern doesn't seem think enough of itself to utilize them in a way that could actually build their brand, or goodness forbid, come up with a logo that doesn't look like something from Madden's Create-A-Team circa 2003.

Well, they do have these beauties from their only bowl appearance in school history:

California875.jpg

Those uniforms were from their days as the "Hurons", which got tossed out because of political correctness issues, despite support from Huron Indian tribes, much like North Dakota is battling today.

I agree with GFB that they grey-green-grey option looks nice. If they could build grey into their branding it could look very nice. This, however, is not very nice.

Not sure why being known as the Hurons back then would prevent them from brining the uniforms back. Just pair it with the white E helmet and problem solved.

And yeah, I have some relatives who are Wyandot (Huron) and are still upset about losing what they felt was one of the most visible references to their heritage. Had the NCAA's "get the tribes' permission" policy been in place back then, I'm as certain as possible that they'd still be the Hurons.

To rebut the 'unoriginal' comments, this not a bespoke uniform. The wing design is one of the generic designs in the adidas team catalog. It's been in there for about a year. Any high school or small college that wants to buy uniforms from adidas can wear this exact jersey. Bad move by EMU, but I guess their options are pretty limited being the bottom feeder that they are most of the time.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

20-odd combos, only about 3 aren't absolutely terrible (green/green/white, green/white/green, white/green/white), and even they aren't great.

Totally apart from the fact that the design of these unis are just SO bland & uninspired anyway, the usage of grey (oh how original <_< ) is just bad.

Yet more proof that all these schools going mix 'n' match mad for, as far as I can tell, the sake of it is just so, so tired. The only schools in my opinion that have even vaguely pulled it off are Arizona State (just avoid the black) & Okie State (just avoid the light-grey). Both of those were bespoke rebrands, actually designed cohesively. Now that budget teams are just ordering their standard unis out of a catalogue and throwing in black & grey versions just to supposedly appeal to recruits it's making the entire thing look unbelievably stupid & just turning me even more against the schools that actually pull it off.

Side-note, since they claim all this ugliness is to 'appeal to recruits', honestly, if it's true, then the fact that my generation is impressed by looking like crap in forty shades of grey makes me sad for humanity.

*deep breath*

Rant over

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Archived