NBA Rookies, Tradees and Free Agents in new unis

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[threadjack:

Has anyone else noticed that the past 5 or so years more and more prominent nba players are wearing single digit numbers. Used to be the big players wore 23, 32, 33, 34... Now think about how many prominent players have switched to single digits.. kobe, garnet, amare, lebron, carmelo. And that's not to mention the players starting out wearing single digits like wade, bosh, cp3. Blake griffin is a refreshing change. Anyway just something I've noticed.

/threadjack ]

Unfortunately this is the only picture I can find, but Austin Rivers is going back to his high school number (25):

rivers.jpg

Doc wore 25

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Kobe switched AWAY from a single digit number - he was #8, but now he's been #24 for a while.

Dwight and Durant also come to mind for current superstars with double digit numbers.

There are alot more superstars with single digits then there used to be.

(Lebron, Carmelo, DWade, DRose, CP3, Bosh, Parker, Garnett)

and alot of those guys switched to a single digit after switching teams

spacer.png

spacer.png

Kobe switched AWAY from a single digit number - he was #8, but now he's been #24 for a while.

Dwight and Durant also come to mind for current superstars with double digit numbers.

Haha wow I spaced on that one you are right I forgot Kobe went to double digits. But he seems to be a rare one.

Davis will be 23...

db3cc31cc21711e1a9f71231382044a1_7.jpg

Does this mean Eric Gordon, if he stays, is going to switch numbers?

|EDIT| ach, I'm clearly outta the loop. Gordon's been wearing #10 since entering the league. I know he wore 23 in college when he was playing in Indiana and I could've sworn he also wore 23 with the Clippers, but it doesn't seem like there are any records of that (which I guess would make sense since I think Camby was on the team at the time wearing 23).

[threadjack:

Has anyone else noticed that the past 5 or so years more and more prominent nba players are wearing single digit numbers. Used to be the big players wore 23, 32, 33, 34... Now think about how many prominent players have switched to single digits.. kobe, garnet, amare, lebron, carmelo. And that's not to mention the players starting out wearing single digits like wade, bosh, cp3. Blake griffin is a refreshing change. Anyway just something I've noticed.

/threadjack ]

Yeah, I've noticed that too. The single digit, or "low" double digit (which for me is anything in the teens and lower) trend seems to be particularly prevalent nowadays with front court players. When I was growing up, front court players wore numbers in the 20s and 30s and up. The single digits and teens were mainly seen on guards. Obviously there are exceptions on both fronts (namely Bill and Wilt wearing #6 and 13, respectively, in the early days of the NBA), but it definitely is a little bit weird to see some big men wearing single digits (Amare w/ #1 still doesn't quite gel with me) nowadays. Then again, it's also nice to see "new" numbers getting some tread, though I wonder why no one ever seems to pick a number above like #55 (well, outside of the Rodman/Artest #91 haha).

[threadjack:

/threadjack ]

Yeah, I've noticed that too. The single digit, or "low" double digit (which for me is anything in the teens and lower) trend seems to be particularly prevalent nowadays with front court players. When I was growing up, front court players wore numbers in the 20s and 30s and up. The single digits and teens were mainly seen on guards. Obviously there are exceptions on both fronts (namely Bill and Wilt wearing #6 and 13, respectively, in the early days of the NBA), but it definitely is a little bit weird to see some big men wearing single digits (Amare w/ #1 still doesn't quite gel with me) nowadays. Then again, it's also nice to see "new" numbers getting some tread, though I wonder why no one ever seems to pick a number above like #55 (well, outside of the Rodman/Artest #91 haha).

How about Nicolas Batum?

rQhsH.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

[threadjack:

/threadjack ]

How about Nicolas Batum?

rQhsH.jpg

Oh nice, never noticed that (then again, I don't really pay attention to the Blazers). Also, now that I think about it, I believe Mikan wore #99 with the Lakers while they still played in Minnesota (though I don't know why his number was never retired, unless he specifically asked for it not to; anyone know the story about this?).

The Lakers haven't retired any numbers from the Minneapolis era, but certain players (Including Mikan) are honoured with a banner, and certain numbers have unofficially taken out of circulation.

Someone menntioned the current stars wearing single digits, I wish the all-stars of the early 90's could've went that route, We had a good bit of 33's.

I was going to say, there seemed to be lots of stars wearing numbers in the 30's especially during the 90's. Barkley, Malone, Olajuwon, Hill, Pippen, O'Neal, Miller, Ewing...

Anyways, on topic, I expect Mo Williams to change numbers upon his arrival to Utah as Al Jefferson is currently donning #25. Haven't seen any pictures or news indicating what he'll wear as of yet.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

[threadjack:

/threadjack ]

The reason most players wear under 55 is because it's a rule in high school and NCAA that both digits need to be 5 or under unless it's a single digit. So 1-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, and 50-55 are issued. this is so refs can signal fouls with two gestures of one hand. This isn't a rule in the

NBA but most players wear the same number they've worn all their life.

I really took notice during the heat-Knicks first round this year.. The big 3 on each team all wore single digits...

Lebron, wade, bosh, amare, Carmelo, chandler. You would never ever have seen that many single digits 10 years ago.

Someone menntioned the current stars wearing single digits, I wish the all-stars of the early 90's could've went that route, We had a good bit of 33's.

Anyways, on topic, I expect Mo Williams to change numbers upon his arrival to Utah as Al Jefferson is currently donning #25. Haven't seen any pictures or news indicating what he'll wear as of yet.

I kinda expect him to probably go with #2 like he wore in Cleveland. Unless of course Big Al gets traded.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Archived