NBA Rookies, Tradees and Free Agents in new unis

[threadjack:

Has anyone else noticed that the past 5 or so years more and more prominent nba players are wearing single digit numbers. Used to be the big players wore 23, 32, 33, 34... Now think about how many prominent players have switched to single digits.. kobe, garnet, amare, lebron, carmelo. And that's not to mention the players starting out wearing single digits like wade, bosh, cp3. Blake griffin is a refreshing change. Anyway just something I've noticed.

/threadjack ]

Yeah, I've noticed that too. The single digit, or "low" double digit (which for me is anything in the teens and lower) trend seems to be particularly prevalent nowadays with front court players. When I was growing up, front court players wore numbers in the 20s and 30s and up. The single digits and teens were mainly seen on guards. Obviously there are exceptions on both fronts (namely Bill and Wilt wearing #6 and 13, respectively, in the early days of the NBA), but it definitely is a little bit weird to see some big men wearing single digits (Amare w/ #1 still doesn't quite gel with me) nowadays. Then again, it's also nice to see "new" numbers getting some tread, though I wonder why no one ever seems to pick a number above like #55 (well, outside of the Rodman/Artest #91 haha).

The reason most players wear under 55 is because it's a rule in high school and NCAA that both digits need to be 5 or under unless it's a single digit. So 1-15, 20-25, 30-35, 40-45, and 50-55 are issued. this is so refs can signal fouls with two gestures of one hand. This isn't a rule in the

NBA but most players wear the same number they've worn all their life.

I really took notice during the heat-Knicks first round this year.. The big 3 on each team all wore single digits...

Lebron, wade, bosh, amare, Carmelo, chandler. You would never ever have seen that many single digits 10 years ago.

Did not know this. Thanks for the info.

I've always wondered how players picked jersey numbers and it seemed to be random to me, unlike in hockey where a position is available for only one

position or so-called "football numbers" look pretty weird in comparison.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lamar-odom.jpg

Don't miss those Clippers unis.

I actually really liked that uniform. The pictured home one, at least.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The Pacers really need new uniforms. I've never cared for those.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Pacers really need new uniforms. I've never cared for those.

I don't care for them either, but at least they kind of seem appropriate for the team. The previous pinstriped set was way to conservative/traditional for a team named the Pacers.

Of course nothing they come up with will compare to these beauties :D

reggiespike.png

tumblr_l8e7twEBfe1qa47iwo1_500.jpg

reggiespike.png

Drop shadows? Asymmetry? I'm a 90s enthusiast, but those elements can stay in the past.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

reggiespike.png

Drop shadows? Asymmetry? I'm a 90s enthusiast, but those elements can stay in the past.

I don't see '90s at all. Asymmetry is not a '90s hallmark, and while unnecessary shadows might be, they're used well here. A standard outline wouldn't look right on a uniform designed to convey speed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

lamar-odom.jpg

Don't miss those Clippers unis.

Those were much better than the crap they currently wear.

Also, those Cavalier jerseys are such a huge downgrade from the last set. They were so gung-ho with "we can't have any white on the road jerseys because we want simplistic and traditional", then they 1) slap a logo on the neck (which is terrible and no longer fits with their current set), and 2) Make it white when the rest of the uniform is devoid of white. What a bad organization.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Draymond Green, Festus Ezeli, and Harrison Barnes

_N5C8213.jpg

The more I look at it, the more I dislike the Warriors' uniform. It just feels so incomplete in so many ways. An idea that wasn't executed well

I agree I for one am not a fan of that wishbone style collar and the sleeves to side panel connection has no flow to it. It just lacks something

Archived