NBA "Likely" going to advertisement on jerseys

roxfan00

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2- Ironic that they may allow ads by 2013-14, but as of now, neither the adidas nor its logo can be see on a game uniform.

Wouldn't this be the logical first step? Let adidas or Nike pay to let their mark be displayed? It's so prominent on replicas, the average person wouldn't even notice the intrusion on the gamers. It'd be like money for nothing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't really follow the NBA, but I don't think that a small logo on the strap would be that bad. The big question is if this is a slippery slope though, because things could get ugly (literally).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

An exclusive preview of what they will look like...

Ad_Jersey.jpg

:puke:

Is this real? Where did you get this?

I wasn't being serious when I posted this. I was just messin' around by posting an photoshop image I found from a google search. Don't worry, it's not real. :P

An exclusive preview of what they will look like...

Ad_Jersey.jpg

:puke:

Is this real? Where did you get this?

I wasn't being serious when I posted this. I was just messin' around by posting an photoshop image I found from a google search. Don't worry, it's not real. :P

I can hear the gospel in the church singing right now.

mcbqza.jpg

I dont have a problem with this. A small patch on the uniform is not a big deal, and if it allows the teams to spend a little more, so be it.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

This is only the beginning! One day, we will name our kids after companies for money. Meet Pepsi Motorola Smith! :P

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Full story from CBS Sportsline

LAS VEGAS -- NBA jerseys almost certainly will feature small sponsorship patches on the shoulder area in two years, a move that league officials estimate could generate $100 million in revenues per season.

So it really won't be the name on the back, as the saying goes, but the name on the front that will matter.

The NBA Board of Governors discussed the matter Thursday in its annual summer meeting, and deputy commissioner Adam Silver said there was virtually unanimous support for adopting some form of jersey ads. The matter was referred to the owners' planning committee, chaired by Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck, and guidelines are expected to be approved in September -- paving the way for the money-making ads on jerseys in time for the 2013-14 season.

"I think it's fair to say that our teams were excited about the opportunity and think there is potentially a big opportunity in the marketplace to put a two by two patch on the shoulder of our jerseys," Silver said.

Silver later corrected himself, saying the patches would be 2.5 inches-by-2.5 inches. They would feature the names of companies -- think McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Kia, Apple -- and would put the NBA in lock step with international sports leagues whose player uniforms routinely are adorned with ads. WNBA teams already have sponsorship logos on their jerseys, but the NBA would be the first of the four major American pro sports leagues to take the plunge.

"My sense is that every team is in favor of doing this in some form," Silver said.

And every team in every sport will do it, too. Tru$t me.

The sponsorship patches would be placed on the left shoulder of the jersey, where the NBA logo currently is located. They would appear on retail jerseys, as well, Silver said -- a concept that could cause backlash among some fans who don't want corporate logos on the jerseys they buy in the sporting goods store or online. But Silver said league officials consulted with jersey manufacturer Adidas, and early indications are that sponsorship patches would not harm retail jersey sales.

"We've been studying this fairly intensively over the past year," Silver said. "It would be something new in the states, so we want to make sure we approach this as a very methodical and deliberate process."

The league's estimate that the patches could generate $100 million a year is in line with a recent study by Horizon Media published by Forbes Magazine that stated ads on game-day jerseys in American sports could generate upwards of $370 million total among the major sports leagues. The study estimated that the Lakers could bring in more than $4 million a year from such ads, while the Knicks and Celtics would generate nearly $3 million each.

The additional revenue would go into the overall pool of basketball-related income (BRI), 50 percent of which NBA players receive as their salaries.

Speaking of which, commissioner David Stern said Silver gave a "very optimistic" report to the owners about the early workings of the new collective bargaining agreement. The league is projected to turn a profit next season and the season after that after losing an average of $300 million a year under the previous CBA.

According to CBSSports.com estimates, overall revenue declined about $400 million last season, from $3.8 billion in the final year of the old CBA to about $3.4 billion in the lockout-shortened 66-game season. However, that 10 percent decline was viewed as a success, considering the league lost 20 percent of the season to the work stoppage.

"We had a very happy group of owners in that room," Stern said. "Adam gave a report that our ratings are up 28 percent over the last decade, while [overall] television ratings are down around 30 percent over the last decade."

The league is projecting its best year ever next season in both ticket and sponsorship revenues, Stern said.

The owners also approved several enhancements to the instant replay rules that were recommended by the competition committee in June. Starting next season, officials will be able to use replay to review each flagrant foul to determine whether it is a category one, two or a common foul. Previously, replay was only permitted to review the more serious penalty-two flagrants.

In the last two minutes of regulation and all of overtime, replay may now be used to determine whether a defender was positioned in the restricted area under the basket for the purposes of block-charge calls. Also, in the last two minutes of regulation and all of overtime, replay may be used to determine the accuracy of goaltending calls. Replay will not be permitted for non-calls, only for goaltending offenses whistled by the officials.

CBSSportsline

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

David Stern has always been adamantly against this. How in the world has he, of all people, done a complete 180? I mean aside from the manufacturer logo not being present, he even shot down the "Memphis Express".

Stern might've been against it but Adam Silver, who's the commissioner-in-waiting (& will be Commissioner by the 2014-15 season since that's when Stern is retiring) is in favor of it, so this is actually the first sign of a Silver-led NBA.

I don't think there will be a big backlash if the replica jersey you buy has the sponsor on the shoulder...it'll be like buying a soccer kit with the sponsor on the front.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

Which is to say "stupid." Getting people to pay more than they should for a shirt that advertises a cell phone carrier is the most royal of scams.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

David Stern has always been adamantly against this. How in the world has he, of all people, done a complete 180? I mean aside from the manufacturer logo not being present, he even shot down the "Memphis Express".

Stern works for the owners, and the owners have apparently decided to take the money from jersey ads.

I hate it, but it's inevitable. I just hope my Clippers don't have to trade in those classy baseball-style scripts for a big Kia logo on the front.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm missing something here: Why are people saying that this news was inevitable? What signs were there prior to the release of this article that indicated that the NBA was headed in this direction?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

is this the beginning of the end of the "fans have to buy a jersey" era?

i know it doesn't hurt sales in european football or canadian football, but my interest in buying and wearing jerseys is already on the decline as i get older (nearing 30). i can't imagine slapping an ad on there would increase my desire to plop down serious money on a watered down low quality replica jersey.

especially in basketball, where 99% of the fans wearing the jerseys look horrible doing so.

i hardly see this as a nail in the coffin for the trend, but am i the only one who thinks it might be the beginning of the end? because remember, even as recently as the early to mid 90's, it wasn't exactly common practice to wear a jersey to the game. a simple team logo tshirt/sweatshirt sufficed.

Here in Kansas City, many Sporting fans are upset that the team does NOT have an ad on the front of the jersey. It's always a hot topic on their message board, where a portion of the posters claim to be waiting to buy replica jerseys in hopes of getting one with an ad on it from a yet-to-be-signed sponsor.

Kind of funny how fast that stuff turns around. Money really can buy anything.

Archived