2012 NFL week by week Uniform Match-ups thread

canzman

Nope. Rules stipulate that if you choose a throwback it must be a part of the uniform sets for 5 seasons. The next time they can adopt a new throwback is for the 2017 season.

I'm not so sure that's true. The Bears wore orange alternates, then went with the navy throwbacks with the orange striping, numbers, and nobs as a tribute to the Monsters of the Midway era, then back to the orange alternate, and now they're wearing the navy throwbacks again.

Not only that, but before the Bears went with that orange alternate they wore a different orange jersey, one that was a throwback from the 40s which they wore against the Cowboys in Dallas on Thanksgiving Day.

The first time the Bears wore the 40s throwbacks they were exempt from the 5-year rule because they were a throwback used as part of an anniversary. That means that the orange jerseys were considered the alternate for the 5-year rule, just taking a break for one year. This year the Bears decided to bring the 40s throwback back as their alternate jersey. Since it's not an anniversary and they're just wearing it as an alternate, the 5-year rule would apply to these.

When the Bears wore these 1946 jerseys with their '62-'72 helmet logo on Thanksgiving Day 2004 it wasn't an anniversary of anything, it was just a double throwback look to two eras as I remember it. In fact they always wore a gray face-mask with that 60s helmet logo so I remember how it looked a bit strange with the midnight navy face-mask

The following season they designed a new orange alternate jersey which they wore for the next few years.

BTW, Dallas' faux '60-'63 throwbacks are one of my top favorites in the throwback dept. Looks much better in navy than the royal from the infancy seasons. If that star was of 3-D design like we see on many American flags it would look better than the current one with the shadow outline, IMO.

6gbdds5.jpg

bears_cowboys_2004.jpg

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't that in the time period that the Patriots and Colts also wore throwbacks on Thanksgiving? I remember that game, but I was only 12 then and didn't know anything about uniform rules. I'm just going to guess that the NFL let teams wear throwbacks on Thanksgiving and it didn't affect any uniform rules that may have been in place at the time.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Obviously they didn't play on the same day, but the Patriots wore red throwbacks on Thanksgiving within a year or two of that game before they became their official alternates.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Nope. Rules stipulate that if you choose a throwback it must be a part of the uniform sets for 5 seasons. The next time they can adopt a new throwback is for the 2017 season.

I'm not so sure that's true. The Bears wore orange alternates, then went with the navy throwbacks with the orange striping, numbers, and nobs as a tribute to the Monsters of the Midway era, then back to the orange alternate, and now they're wearing the navy throwbacks again.

Not only that, but before the Bears went with that orange alternate they wore a different orange jersey, one that was a throwback from the 40s which they wore against the Cowboys in Dallas on Thanksgiving Day.

The first time the Bears wore the 40s throwbacks they were exempt from the 5-year rule because they were a throwback used as part of an anniversary. That means that the orange jerseys were considered the alternate for the 5-year rule, just taking a break for one year. This year the Bears decided to bring the 40s throwback back as their alternate jersey. Since it's not an anniversary and they're just wearing it as an alternate, the 5-year rule would apply to these.

Same with the Eagles in 2007 and 2010.

Obviously they didn't play on the same day, but the Patriots wore red throwbacks on Thanksgiving within a year or two of that game before they became their official alternates.

NE wore the throwbacks on Thanksgiving Day 2002, which were their 1985's and not an anniversary of anything. It was a one game occurrence.

2003 was when they came out with those silver-gray alternates which did have a 5 year run

NE brought back those same 1985 throwbacks and wore them on Thanksgiving Day in 2010 for the 2nd time against the Lions that season. This was the season after AFL-50 when they wore their 1963 throwbacks.

So given that, perhaps it was in 2003 when the NFL instituted that 5 year rule, but it still doesn't explain the Bears wearing 1946 throwbacks at Dallas for only that one game on Thanksgiving 2004 when it wasn't their anniversary of anything. It appears that the NFL makes an exception to the rules for Thanksgiving Day games only.

Denver also wore their orange crush uniforms throwbacks at Dallas on Thanksgiving Day 2001, but again just for that one game.

Dolphins need to wear their teal jerseys more often. Their teal/white/teal socks combo is almost flawless.

Actually they're supposed to be aqua but you're right. Dolphins in aqua looked great. Both teams looked pretty good last night.

The New Orleans paper reported this tidbit this morning:

==

The Saints are sticking with the white jerseys and black pants this week - the fifth time they've worn that combination this season. In fact, the Saints will wear black pants for the seventh straight game - something they've never done in the Payton-Drew Brees era, according to uniform historian Bradley Handwerger of WWLTV.com.

According to Handwerger's database, the Saints are 5-2 in the white-black combo in the month of November, dating back to 2006. Both losses came in 2008.

==

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The New Orleans paper reported this tidbit this morning:

==

The Saints are sticking with the white jerseys and black pants this week - the fifth time they've worn that combination this season. In fact, the Saints will wear black pants for the seventh straight game - something they've never done in the Payton-Drew Brees era, according to uniform historian Bradley Handwerger of WWLTV.com.

According to Handwerger's database, the Saints are 5-2 in the white-black combo in the month of November, dating back to 2006. Both losses came in 2008.

==

saints-1978-oline-steelers.jpgGeorgeRogers_display_image.jpg?1336066034

Then, they should go with white pants with black jerseys then if that is the case.

Courtesy GUD:

1982_NewOrleans.png

I like the Saints with gold numbers on both the black jerseys and how the white jerseys used to have them with the black outline.

The black pants need stripes, that most of us agree on, but the black pants in the image above the pants stripes are too thick.

This seasons matte gold pants are awful, they need to be more metallic.

Since when do the Broncos have orange pants?

Not sure where I saw it, but I thought somebody on this forum (not this thread) posted a pick from Madden 13 with the Broncos and Bears having orange pants. That's why I said, "if they do exist".

EDIT: Maybe it's just the Bears. I don't play video games, so I don't what's on a Madden game.

Archived