Changes expected in Cleveland

canzman

I suppose this is an unpopular opinion, but I really don't like the orange pants, at least when paired with the brown jersey. They look a little better with the white jersey, but I still don't prefer that.

Personally, I think the Browns should consider going this route:

Charles+Ali+New+York+Giants+v+Cleveland+Browns+JWWO3i-68A9l.jpg

with some minor tweaks to update, namely change the helmet stripe to brown-white-brown, and change the facemask color to white. I really like the look of the numerals on the helmet, and think it'd be the best alternative to the plain helmet if they absolutely have to put something on there. Plus, no one else in the NFL has numerals as the primary decal on the helmet full-time, so that'd be a neat thing to call their own as far as the NFL goes. I don't dislike a wordmark on the chest by any means, but I think I would prefer a plain chest as shown here. As far as logos go, clean up and modernize Brownie, and boom, done.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He overpaid for them so of course he is going to have to sell stadium naming rights.

Just out of curiosity what makes you the expert in how much a franchise is worth? Just because you don't like them? Good call on that one!

Yeah, he except that he really didn't. What he paid was pretty much market value for the Browns. The Browns revenue is appx. 250 million a year. Normally, a business sells for around 4x the revenue. So the Browns cost him a billion dollars, or four times their revenue. He didn't overpay. If anything, he got a deal.

With the way NFL franchise values keep climbing, he could make a very nice return on that investment in as little as 5 years. Especially when you consider that he's only in for 700 million right now. He has some deal where he pays the Lerners for the final 300 million a few years down the road. This guy made a gazillion dollars off truck stops. My guess is he doesn't make a lot of dumb financial decisions.

On topic: In my opinion, the Browns have never looked bad. I just hope "changes" doesn't mean "we're going to switch from a great look to clown suits." I'd be fine with bringing back the orange pants and white facemask. Other than that, leave well enough alone if for no other reason than the Browns uniforms drive a certain member of this community crazy. I won't name names but suffice it to say that his initials are the same as the Denver Broncos. B)

Well the view of most people is "well they haven't won anything for a few decades, they aren't worth anything!".

The franchise was bought by the Lerners in 1998 for $530 million, and now they will be getting $1 billion back. The value has almost doubled in just over 10 years.

He overpaid for them so of course he is going to have to sell stadium naming rights.

Just out of curiosity what makes you the expert in how much a franchise is worth? Just because you don't like them? Good call on that one!

Yeah, he except that he really didn't. What he paid was pretty much market value for the Browns. The Browns revenue is appx. 250 million a year. Normally, a business sells for around 4x the revenue. So the Browns cost him a billion dollars, or four times their revenue. He didn't overpay. If anything, he got a deal.

With the way NFL franchise values keep climbing, he could make a very nice return on that investment in as little as 5 years. Especially when you consider that he's only in for 700 million right now. He has some deal where he pays the Lerners for the final 300 million a few years down the road. This guy made a gazillion dollars off truck stops. My guess is he doesn't make a lot of dumb financial decisions.

On topic: In my opinion, the Browns have never looked bad. I just hope "changes" doesn't mean "we're going to switch from a great look to clown suits." I'd be fine with bringing back the orange pants and white facemask. Other than that, leave well enough alone if for no other reason than the Browns uniforms drive a certain member of this community crazy. I won't name names but suffice it to say that his initials are the same as the Denver Broncos. B)

You mean MEMBERS. ;)

Kristopher "Baze" Bazen

www.krisbazen.com

I think too many are jumping all over this issue about the Browns re-branding, and I really don't believe it's going to happen because I expect Browns fans to make their voices known against it, similar to 49ers fans when they were about to change their helmet logo in the late 90s with that one-day helmet they unveiled back then.

Changing uniforms was not on Haslem's 'to-do' list ... The subject apparently came from the media.

After hearing his to-do list which didn't include uniform rebranding, he was asked: "Will we change uniforms? He said "I don't know, but it is a marketing world."

That doesn't sound particularly definitive

Here's the link from yesterdays press-conference for those interested:

Haslam says he's '100 percent committed' to winning, won't move Browns

Hey, if Buc can do a shameless plug for a new uniform, I'll do my own shameless plug for a new logo!

BrownsRichardsC.jpg

I don't remember seeing this before...I see what Kris and Andy are getting at with the dropshadow effect kinda conflicting with the "traditional" lineage of the Browns' long-lasting identity (if that makes any sense). That said...that'd be a great starting point for a new Browns logo...an actual REAL logo, at that, or at least as a compliment to a reworked elf.

Yeah, I shoulda (shamelessly) posted this one, which shows both. Ok, I was more into the dropshadow originally, but have leaned towards the simpler outline lately.

BrownsRichardsC_comps.jpg

I'm sure it's to incorporate the facemask, but you don't need the grey keyline. It could just be white for dark backgrounds. The C feels a little squat, too, like it should be more of a 2:1 ratio. Other than that, that's the perfect way to do a Browns primary: you've got spirit of the helmet and a letter for location.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think this was their best season (uniforms wise):

2003_Cleveland.png

[via gridironuniforms.com]

While I posted the uni's from 2002, THIS is the set I should have posted, because everything on here is perfect.

And to here the guy who was running the Eagles is now running the Browns...eh, why should I be excited about a guy who couldn't get anything done in Philly with fantastic rosters from 1997-2012? Not much of a step forwards or backwards, more like sideways...

Havent the Eagles last 10-12 years been filled with Division Titles, Conference Title game appearances and a Super Bowl appearance?? And as the guy running that franchise during that period, wasnt he partially responsible for the "fantastic roster" that you speak of?? Do an internet search of recent Browns history and see if any of those things come up in your search.

For the first time in ages, Browns fans are excited about the future. Record crowds at training camp show that. There is hope that we will come out of this 15 year funk of suckitude. I know Im excited. No matter what the new group brings, it cant be worse than what we have been thru.

I think too many are jumping all over this issue about the Browns re-branding, and I really don't believe it's going to happen because I expect Browns fans to make their voices known against it, similar to 49ers fans when they were about to change their helmet logo in the late 90s with that one-day helmet they unveiled back then.

Changing uniforms was not on Haslem's 'to-do' list ... The subject apparently came from the media.

After hearing his to-do list which didn't include uniform rebranding, he was asked: "Will we change uniforms? He said "I don't know, but it is a marketing world."

I agree...... I think he understands the traditions of the browns, good or bad and(horrible) while he was a 1,000% steelers fan and before that and cowboys and colts fans. minor tweaks I would make is adding orange pants to the uniform as another option ...and I would be open to numbers on the sides on the helmets (but that would not likely happen), and the white helmet as an the alternate throwback uniform

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

2776820424_017ef58131_o.jpg

If Haslam were to change the uniform something to this, I would not mind. It keeps the classic stripes, but adds a modern touch with the piping on the side and also the pants stripes.

And most of all, the orange helmet stands the same.

Please Lord let this be sarcasm...

I agree, that look dreadfully awful. vmd9's concept adds what it needs, that orange uniform with the brown numerals. Keep the helmet, make a modern Brownie the Elf logo for the primary and face of the franchise, and keep the rest of the uniform basically untouched, consistent striping is fine for an update.

sweet mary and joseph SMH

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

I agree...... I think he understands the traditions of the browns, good or bad and(horrible) while he was a 1,000% steelers fan and before that and cowboys and colts fans. minor tweaks I would make is adding orange pants to the uniform as another option ...and I would be open to numbers on the sides on the helmets (but that would not likely happen), and the white helmet as an the alternate throwback uniform

I think orange pants should be in there as a mix and match option - it has worked well both with white and brown jerseys. Honestly, I think a reasonable way to market and innovate is to mix and match white/brown/orange both jerseys and pants. Even an occasional creamsicle or fudgecicle monochrome could be tolerable if not done too often...

As for a logo on the helmet - that destroys tradition too much while adding very little. But a primary logo would be great, as long as it isn't used on the helmet. In my opinion, many teams would benefit from a primary logo that is not on the helmet. Much like baseball cap logos, the sort of simplified mark that works well on a cap or helmet is often too simple for a primary logo, IMO. I like beefed up primaries, like the Flying Elvis draped over a wordmark, or the full swooping Eagle Philly once had.

They should eliminate orange, at least consider it. I think the could make just brown and white work.

I think brown and white would be awesome for a football team, just probably not the Browns since the orange helmet is their identity. But I wouldn't be upset at all if they went to a look similar to Penn State (obviously with brown instead of blue) and had white helmets and simple brown jerseys and white pants for their home uniform. Not to mention an all white look on the road.

T1oYViW.png

I suppose this is an unpopular opinion, but I really don't like the orange pants, at least when paired with the brown jersey. They look a little better with the white jersey, but I still don't prefer that.

with some minor tweaks to update, namely change the helmet stripe to brown-white-brown, and change the facemask color to white. I really like the look of the numerals on the helmet, and think it'd be the best alternative to the plain helmet if they absolutely have to put something on there. Plus, no one else in the NFL has numerals as the primary decal on the helmet full-time, so that'd be a neat thing to call their own as far as the NFL goes. I don't dislike a wordmark on the chest by any means, but I think I would prefer a plain chest as shown here. As far as logos go, clean up and modernize Brownie, and boom, done.

I understand history being a Browns fan and all, but it is 2012 and not 1957. If there are changes to be made, I hope they are drastic. We need a new look because the current look just gives me bad memories.

spacer.png

I'm really warming up to this. I would have two options: one being this same uniform with the brown stripe removed from the pants, because I think the solid orange stripe ties to the solid white stripe on the helmet better. Then there would be an orange pant with a solid white stripe, just like the helmet. I like the current helmet, but I think the single white stripe on the old helmet is very cool for some reason.

I understand history being a Browns fan and all, but it is 2012 and not 1957. If there are changes to be made, I hope they are drastic. We need a new look because the current look just gives me bad memories.

Good thing you represent a very small minority of Browns fans. :P

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm really warming up to this. I would have two options: one being this same uniform with the brown stripe removed from the pants, because I think the solid orange stripe ties to the solid white stripe on the helmet better. Then there would be an orange pant with a solid white stripe, just like the helmet. I like the current helmet, but I think the single white stripe on the old helmet is very cool for some reason.

I think that while many of us would appreciate the consistency, I think that it's lost on the average fan. In some cases it doesn't matter, because the stripes all look "normal" anyway, but with what you're proposing, the "untrained" eye might actually construe it as inconsistent.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think that while many of us would appreciate the consistency, I think that it's lost on the average fan. In some cases it doesn't matter, because the stripes all look "normal" anyway, but with what you're proposing, the "untrained" eye might actually construe it as inconsistent.

I don't know that the untrained eye cares about or notices that type of thing, :P but with this particular uniform, I think that thin brown stripe on the pant actually picks up those thin brown numerals from the helmet quite well, because the strokes are of very similar weight. Take away the helmet numerals, and I think the solid color pant stripe is better.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I don't know that the untrained eye cares about or notices that type of thing, :P but with this particular uniform, I think that thin brown stripe on the pant actually picks up those thin brown numerals from the helmet quite well, because the strokes are of very similar weight. Take away the helmet numerals, and I think the solid color pant stripe is better.

Oh I definitely see what you're saying about the thin brown stripe tying in to the helmet number - I wonder if a thicker orange boarder might make it an even better match? As it stands, the thin triple stripe on the pants looks mismatched from the overall size of the multi stripe on the sleeve. A thicker orange boarder might serve the dual purpose of tying in to the helmet even more, as well as balancing out against the sleeves.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree with this. In this new age of technology, Cleveland and it's fans will have the opportunity to immediately react and the Browns franchise will without a doubt be listening.

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

Archived