2012 NFL Throwbacks

tohasbo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love me some banana cream pie, as well as butterscotch pie.

I was dissapointed in the pumpkin pie I had yesterday. I really shoulda stuck with my usual Thanksgiving pecan pie.

Hey, are the Vikings' throwbacks not gonna show up this year?

I saw a Vikings Beat writer say on twitter a few weeks back no throwbacks this year. But we'll know when we play Chicago and Green Bay at home, where we usually wear them

Whatever happened to that report that said "no NFL alts/throwbacks after a certain date and never in primetime?" The Steelers just wore their bumblebees on SNF and we are weeks away from the end of the regular season and even the Broncos wore their blue alts (which I knew they would go monochrome for :angered: ).

Also, you can buy certain NIKE unis, but if the team isn't wearing them, do they produce them for the team? I haven't seen the Dophins aqua pants or the orange jerseys, but I have seen Nike orange jerseys for sale.

KISSwall09.jpg

I had long wished that the Houston team would have got the Cleveland deal and kept their colors, logo, and history when they returned to the NFL in 2002.

I agree. Some people argued, "Well, it's Bud Adams' team. He founded the Oilers, so he should get to keep the name." Bull. He still got to keep the actual franchise, of which its monetary value probably doubled after getting Nashville to build him a sparkling new stadium. The Oilers in name belonged to the fans who watched good teams always choke and games be cancelled because of seams in the turf coming apart. Sure, the Texans have a good logo and the uniforms were very good before they went with the leotard look on the road, but the league was much better looking with the Houston Oilers in it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It's interesting to imagine if the no-relocating-teams provision of the NFL's antitrust agreement had held up. The Los Angeles Rams vs. the Houston Oilers would've been a great "one of them will actually have to win this" Super Bowl.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Atlanta Falcons will be wearing their 1966 throwbacks this upcoming week on Thursday night NFL network game against New Orleans.

That game will look great as long as the Saints don't wear their God-awful black pants. The Falcons throwbacks are the best uniforms in the NFL. They are perfect.

BB52Big.jpg

The Atlanta Falcons will be wearing their 1966 throwbacks this upcoming week on Thursday night NFL network game against New Orleans.

That game will look great as long as the Saints don't wear their God-awful black pants. The Falcons throwbacks are the best uniforms in the NFL. They are perfect.

IMO the best uniform at any level of football, currently.

houston oilers > tennessee titans > houston texans

the titans and their fans should be honored to don the luv ya blue.

I don't care who owns the team, the Oilers are Houston's pure and simple. If anyone wears the Oilers throwbacks it should be the Texans. I know, I know, it won't happen because the Titans are technically the Oilers but I'm simply stating what should be a no brainer. The Mariners sport Pilot unis even though the Pilots are the Brewers. What's right is right.

houston oilers > tennessee titans > houston texans

the titans and their fans should be honored to don the luv ya blue.

I don't care who owns the team, the Oilers are Houston's pure and simple. If anyone wears the Oilers throwbacks it should be the Texans. I know, I know, it won't happen because the Titans are technically the Oilers but I'm simply stating what should be a no brainer. The Mariners sport Pilot unis even though the Pilots are the Brewers. What's right is right.

And what's right is that a franchise that moved should be allowed to retail their intellectual property that they used in their previous location. The Oilers moved and changed names. It's still the same organization though. Bud Adams owned the Oilers after all, NOT the city of Houston.

That the Oilers actually existed as a team in Tennessee for a short while only strengthens the Titans' claim to the Oilers' legacy.

I love me some banana cream pie, as well as butterscotch pie.

I was dissapointed in the pumpkin pie I had yesterday. I really shoulda stuck with my usual Thanksgiving pecan pie.

Hey, are the Vikings' throwbacks not gonna show up this year?

I had Costco pumpkin pie for the second yr in a row and can honestly say its the best pumpkin pie I've ever had and I'm poky about my pies.

Sorry back to uniforms now :)

when did that happen?

It was a preseason game in 1995.

And what's right is that a franchise that moved should be allowed to retail their intellectual property that they used in their previous location. The Oilers moved and changed names. It's still the same organization though. Bud Adams owned the Oilers after all, NOT the city of Houston.

That the Oilers actually existed as a team in Tennessee for a short while only strengthens the Titans' claim to the Oilers' legacy.

It's clear that should the Jaguars leave Jacksonville, the NFL train won't be rolling into their station ever again. However, when a franchise leaves and it's pretty much understood that they will get a team in a few years (when the city inexplicably decides to build the new stadium that would have allowed them to keep the original team in the first place), the original team should be forced to switch names when leaving, a la the Ravens. It's particularly bad since the Oilers dropped their name three years before the Texans started play, anyway.

I remember there being an announcement by Houston ownership that "we won't call the team the Oilers", so it's possible that Adams was open to selling the identity and/or the NFL told him he had to if the new owners wanted it. What's done is done, and the Texans shouldn't be wearing Oilers throwbacks at this point. Adams would have had to be renumerated for the Oilers' IP, but he should have been forced to release it to the NFL as part of the relocation fee.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Can you imagine what it would look like if the Saints showed up in these?

4349633.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

That was some proposal that was all talk and never made to be a rule.

when are they going back to these full time? a red alt would look solid as well

It's clear that should the Jaguars leave Jacksonville, the NFL train won't be rolling into their station ever again. However, when a franchise leaves and it's pretty much understood that they will get a team in a few years (when the city inexplicably decides to build the new stadium that would have allowed them to keep the original team in the first place), the original team should be forced to switch names when leaving, a la the Ravens. It's particularly bad since the Oilers dropped their name three years before the Texans started play, anyway.

I remember there being an announcement by Houston ownership that "we won't call the team the Oilers", so it's possible that Adams was open to selling the identity and/or the NFL told him he had to if the new owners wanted it. What's done is done, and the Texans shouldn't be wearing Oilers throwbacks at this point. Adams would have had to be renumerated for the Oilers' IP, but he should have been forced to release it to the NFL as part of the relocation fee.

My point's entirely based on the technical side of things, I admit that. Still, it's just the way my brain is wired. I can't help but find what the NFL did with Cleveland, the Browns, and the Ravens to be ridiculous. Any way you cut it, the team that was the Cleveland Browns one season was playing as the Baltimore Ravens the next season. We recognize the Kansas City Scouts, the Colorado Rockies, and the New Jersey Devils as different incarnations of the same organization, and that's how franchise relocation had previously worked for decades upon decades. What about the Browns moving was so special? I can't help it, I just find the NFL's official story that the Browns took a couple years off while all of their players decided to play for a team that apparently sprung from the aether in Baltimore to be silly.

So I find myself drawn to the technical side of things in matters such as this. Bud Adams had a team in Houston called the Oilers. He owned them and their trademarks. When he moved he had every right to take that identity with him. It was the same organization after all, just operating out of a new location. Personally I wished he would have kept the Oilers name in Tennessee. If we can have Lakers in Los Angeles and Jazz in Utah, why not Oilers in Tennessee?

I can sympathize with fan sentiment, really, but at the end of the day the fans don't "own" a team or its identity. And as the Texans proved a new team doesn't have to take the identity of an older team to be embraced by the fans. I imagine that had the Ravens been allowed to retain the identity and legacy of the Browns Cleveland would have have eventually come around to supporting a team that had a new name and identity.

The Oilers uniforms were nice and that was a color scheme that you don't see often, but chances are good they would've updated to a terrible late 90's/early 2000's "modern" look and we'd all hate it (the morons would love it). With the Titans rebrand that's basically what happened plus a name change and some new logos.

Let's not act like that identity would still be on the field in the same form that it was when the team moved.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived