Sports logo prototypes

jakemon08

People like the prototype Pats logo better than flying Elvis? Cmon now.

Yes. *some witty saying about opinions or something*

I don't mind Flying Elvis, he blows Pat the Patriot out of the water. It's just that it's not as substantial a logo as the prototype in terms of the amount of space used.

i have this theory that people like things just because they are different and havent been overexposed to them (also a reason for success of alternate uniforms) even if those things are nowhere near as good as what its being compared to.

Yes. That's the only explanation ;)

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avslogo003.jpg

Is this from a book, or a magazine article? Please say book! I've been looking for good books on sports logo design for a while now with little real success and I'm hoping that might be about to change.

9erssteve

young ass Joe Bosack?

Nope, that's not me, even in 1994 those glasses would have been a bit much. Only one or two of those sketches is mine as well I'll leave you to guess which ones.

i have this theory that people like things just because they are different and havent been overexposed to them (also a reason for success of alternate uniforms) even if those things are nowhere near as good as what its being compared to.

It's not "people." It's more or less just me. Maybe Lights Out, too. Brian in Boston gave me a restaurant-quality smackdown over it, saying that it looked like the logo for a credit union in New Hampshire or something. I no care. Flying Elvis is a terrible little wisp of a logo. The flaghead has bulk and heft.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There should be a bunch from the NHL Reebok changeover. I remember this one specifically, which took some digging to find

NYI2008.jpg

Definitely some minor differences (notably the chest number color and the four slashes patch), but who knows what all is in the background.

I can't get that image to show up, so here's the link

http://bp3.blogger.com/_r8tWGVHrjGI/RqzKYdB0XrI/AAAAAAAAA2o/ZL6uSoAvb6o/s800-h/NYI2008.jpg

Idk why, but Google Chrome does that a lot to me on this board. Images just show up as broken.

And more recent (and easier to find):

2879378-8849566-thumbnail.jpg

A silver-striped version of the Kings' current whites

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Senators unused 20th anniversary logo from last year...

0926-ott-20th-barrette.png

Source: Icethetics

It was designed by the same guy who came up with black =O= jersey.

I'm not sure what I'm missing, but that looks to be about a billion times better than what they ended up using.

sure does - that thing's gorgeous.

Senators unused 20th anniversary logo from last year...

0926-ott-20th-barrette.png

Source: Icethetics

It was designed by the same guy who came up with black =O= jersey.

I'm not sure what I'm missing, but that looks to be about a billion times better than what they ended up using.

sure does - that thing's gorgeous.

Possible reasons as to why they didn't go with that one...

- Maybe they found it cheaper to print the simple 2 and 0 on all of their merchandise/billboards.

- Maybe they thought standard numbers would get more people's attention, as opposed to roman numerals.

- Maybe they wanted a logo that could better incorporate the vintage white that they were trying to sell.

- Maybe it reminded somebody too much of a Super Bowl logo.

- Maybe they were all stoned :P

There was this one for the Ducks back in 2006, paired with the script they eventually went with:

ducksprototype.jpg

Is their an existing clear version of that unused logo without the lines?

this one is of bart starr wearing what looks like a wishbone g. sort of like a combination of bears c and packers oval g (it doesn't seem to be a real helmet, though)

Starr_PrototypeG_close.jpg

Bart's modeling a MacGregor helmet for a catalog shoot - they didn't have an NFL license.

I saw that on some Packers blog a few years ago. They said it was a prototype, but I was curious since it didn't look protective at all. Thanks for the info.

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

Luckily, that prototype logo is a million times better than the Flying Elvis.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Found this Patriots prototype when I typed 'nfl protype' on ebay out of boredom.

$T2eC16FHJIIE9qTYI5OVBQOST,Mdyw~~60_12.JPG

I wonder if that was designed for the "Bay State Patriots" moniker? even if the state is on the helmet backwards

They had a picture of the logo facing the right way but I coulndt get a smaller picture.$(KGrHqZ,!noF!Odv)g-kBQOSTme48g~~60_57.JPG

There was this one for the Ducks back in 2006, paired with the script they eventually went with:

ducksprototype.jpg

Should have went with the top one as a primary logo/jersey crest. It's miles above that lame script they decided on.

Luckily, that prototype logo is a million times better than the Flying Elvis.

you're entitled to be wrong i guess ;)

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Found this Patriots prototype when I typed 'nfl protype' on ebay out of boredom.

I wonder if that was designed for the "Bay State Patriots" moniker? even if the state is on the helmet backwards

They had a picture of the logo facing the right way but I coulndt get a smaller picture.$(KGrHqZ,!noF!Odv)g-kBQOSTme48g~~60_57.JPG

The same seller has a whole load of "prototype" helmets of dubious authenticity. I'd take them with a grain of salt...

Sick. Love it. Always liked the tricorn hat logo anyway, and love the Mass state outline... any pics of what it would look like from the other side?

applogosig17.pngapplogosig16bychapeeko.png

Courtesy chapeeko

Archived