Sports logo prototypes

jakemon08

Senators unused 20th anniversary logo from last year...

0926-ott-20th-barrette.png

Source: Icethetics

It was designed by the same guy who came up with black =O= jersey.

I'm not sure what I'm missing, but that looks to be about a billion times better than what they ended up using.

sure does - that thing's gorgeous.

All the depth that thing has (which is what makes it good IMO) is hard to embroid/print as a logo. There is a reason most sports logos are "flat", or have VERY simple shading.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

seahawks had a couple of prototypes in 2002. one prototype was the gray helmet (which everyones seen by now)

2002PrototypeHelmet.jpg

next s a 200 prototype helmet

2000prototypehelmet.jpg

then there is the prototype jersey. not much difference but seahawks is much bigger.

2002PrototypeJersey.jpg

2001prototype.jpg

I've looked for that bottom picture for maybe 7-9 years.

So whoever whines everytime this (very interesting) thread comes up, despite the fact that someone new posts something interesting EVERY TIME, seriously..GTFO. I've been here since the start. Stuff gets re-hashed. New people bring interesting ideas and thoughts/pictures to it. Don't like it, move along. Plenty of threads to discuss.

It's an immature "i've been here longer, you noobs are stupid" kind of mentality that salts the earth of every good internet community. Guess what, I've been here longer than YOU...who gives a catpoo. Lets act like grown men here and be respectful and keep stuff relatively on topic.

Sorry for the rant.

xoxo to all.

So whoever whines everytime this (very interesting) thread comes up, despite the fact that someone new posts something interesting EVERY TIME, seriously..GTFO. I've been here since the start. Stuff gets re-hashed. New people bring interesting ideas and thoughts/pictures to it. Don't like it, move along. Plenty of threads to discuss.

It's an immature "i've been here longer, you noobs are stupid" kind of mentality that salts the earth of every good internet community. Guess what, I've been here longer than YOU...who gives a catpoo. Lets act like grown men here and be respectful and keep stuff relatively on topic.

Sorry for the rant.

xoxo to all.

I second this completely. I have been a member on here for almost ten years and a "lurker" some time before that and I have always kept my opinions, outside constructive criticism of a concept or whatever, to myself, but the biquering and rude/immature comments have really gotten out of hand. Combine that with the infestation of ads (a necessary evil to keep the site running, though, I am sure), the obvious departure of some older (and highly talented) members and general lack of creativity that seems to pop on here so much now, I am beginning to lose interest in this site altogether. Sometimes I feel like I am reading a forum some of my kids would visit to bitch about their friends in school. And the fact it is harder for mods to police threads because some a$$hole$ that have already been banned or disciplined for idiotic behavior keep creating accounts to come on and continue to act like morons only proves there is no real remedy in sight. A site I used to visit multiple times a day and couldn't wait to jump on if I had been away from it for awhile, I just come on now basically to keep up with my MLH team. Very sad.

Now back to the topic at hand, by all means.

UniJ

Avslogo003.jpg

Is this from a book, or a magazine article? Please say book! I've been looking for good books on sports logo design for a while now with little real success and I'm hoping that might be about to change.

9erssteve

young ass Joe Bosack?

Nope, that's not me, even in 1994 those glasses would have been a bit much. Only one or two of those sketches is mine as well I'll leave you to guess which ones.

The Avalanche were originally going to be called the (get this) ROCKY MOUNTAIN EXTREME. No joke. When that planned name was leaked in the media, fans didn't react so well, so they went with the Avs instead. Do you know if the "Extreme" had a logo planned?

The Catch of the Day!

Avslogo003.jpg

Is this from a book, or a magazine article? Please say book! I've been looking for good books on sports logo design for a while now with little real success and I'm hoping that might be about to change.

9erssteve

young ass Joe Bosack?

Nope, that's not me, even in 1994 those glasses would have been a bit much. Only one or two of those sketches is mine as well I'll leave you to guess which ones.

The Avalanche were originally going to be called the (get this) ROCKY MOUNTAIN EXTREME. No joke. When that planned name was leaked in the media, fans didn't react so well, so they went with the Avs instead. Do you know if the "Extreme" had a logo planned?

if there was an Extreme logo I'm sure it would have a huge X based crest because as we all know the most extreme way to spell Extreme is XTREME

Avslogo003.jpg

9erssteve

young ass Joe Bosack?

That is true, but that name did not make it to the concept stage, the Rocky Mountain Black Bears (also considered), did make it to concept.

Sorry for the rant.

xoxo to all.

I second this completely. I have been a member on here for almost ten years and a "lurker" some time before that and I have always kept my opinions, outside constructive criticism of a concept or whatever, to myself, but the biquering and rude/immature comments have really gotten out of hand. Combine that with the infestation of ads (a necessary evil to keep the site running, though, I am sure), the obvious departure of some older (and highly talented) members and general lack of creativity that seems to pop on here so much now, I am beginning to lose interest in this site altogether. Sometimes I feel like I am reading a forum some of my kids would visit to bitch about their friends in school. And the fact it is harder for mods to police threads because some a$$hole$ that have already been banned or disciplined for idiotic behavior keep creating accounts to come on and continue to act like morons only proves there is no real remedy in sight. A site I used to visit multiple times a day and couldn't wait to jump on if I had been away from it for awhile, I just come on now basically to keep up with my MLH team. Very sad.

Now back to the topic at hand, by all means.

UniJ

Amen.

That is true, but that name did not make it to the concept stage, the Rocky Mountain Black Bears (also considered), did make it to concept.

I see. Thanks. I remember all this back in the day (I was following the move from Quebec to Denver) and then came across this awhile back.

http://www.denverpos...che/ci_11972513

(Read the second letter)

So I always wondered if there was a planned logo or whathaveyou.

I never knew they also planned "Black Bears". Have you seen any concept logos for that name?

The Catch of the Day!

Avslogo003.jpg

9erssteve

young ass Joe Bosack?

I would have vastly preferred that name.

Avslogo003.jpg

9erssteve

young ass Joe Bosack?

I honestly can't disagree more. I think the Colorado Avalanche has grown into a very appropriate and acceptable identity. Not sure if its because of the success of the team but it makes total sense to me. To be 100% honest, I completely love the color scheme, the logo, and the name. It totally works for me.

I honestly can't disagree more. I think the Colorado Avalanche has grown into a very appropriate and acceptable identity. Not sure if its because of the success of the team but it makes total sense to me. To be 100% honest, I completely love the color scheme, the logo, and the name. It totally works for me.

I agree. Also, Rocky Mountain Black Bears couldn't sound any more like a minor league baseball team if they spelled it "Bearzz".

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived