2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

I'd rather they just isolate the B from their script and use that. It's distinct enough from Boston in color and shape that there shouldn't be a problem.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather they just isolate the B from their script and use that. It's distinct enough from Boston in color and shape that there shouldn't be a problem.

Absolutely agree with this. Isolate the B, make it orange with no stroke/outline/whatever, and put it on a black cap. Perfect symmetry with the road jerseys.

http://baltimorespor...onal-road-b-hat

This is the cap in question:

I'm all for this. Seriously.

From the article: "In case you forgot, the angry bird made it’s return last season partially due to Buck showing it off.

Angry bird? haha! I don't think anyone thinks the cartoon bird on the hat is angry. The only angry bird I've seen is the one graphic where it's batting.

I'm pretty sure that's the one they're talking about. The Orioles are using it a lot these days . . . just not on the field.

As for the B hat, it is a beautiful hat. However . . .

1. I'm pretty sure none of the various Orioles teams (NL, AL, IL, AL again) ever used one like it in the past.

2. It doesn't match their current scheme. It's Old English in a scheme that is heavily focused on a script wordmark.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Absolutely agree with this. Isolate the B, make it orange with no stroke/outline/whatever, and put it on a black cap. Perfect symmetry with the road jerseys.

BaltimoreOrioles_PropCAP0100a_SCC_SRGB.png

I don't like the idea of the Orioles having a B cap. First off, after just finally getting it right last season, we don't need the Orioles messing around again. They realistically should have one cap for all games, but as long as they are using the white-paneled cap for home games, the only road cap that would work is the smiling bird on black with an orange brim. It's too disjointed to have two different logos on the home and road caps.

While those caps may work in a vacuum, they don't go with the rest of the set, and they break with the Orioles' tradition. Yes, it's generally correct to have your city initial on the caps. However, the Orioles, Indians, A's,White Sox and Blue Jays are the only teams which have broken with that trend in good, established looks. The Orioles have had birds on their caps for pretty much their entire existence. They don't need a B cap now.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't like the idea of the Orioles having a B cap. First off, after just finally getting it right last season, we don't need the Orioles messing around again. They realistically should have one cap for all games, but as long as they are using the white-paneled cap for home games, the only road cap that would work is the smiling bird on black with an orange brim. It's too disjointed to have two different logos on the home and road caps.

While those caps may work in a vacuum, they don't go with the rest of the set, and they break with the Orioles' tradition. Yes, it's generally correct to have your city initial on the caps. However, the Orioles, Indians, A's and White Sox are the only teams which have broken with that trend in good, established looks. The Orioles have had birds on their caps for pretty much their entire existence. They don't need a B cap now.

I'd add the Blue Jays to that list.

While those caps may work in a vacuum, they don't go with the rest of the set, and they break with the Orioles' tradition. Yes, it's generally correct to have your city initial on the caps. However, the Orioles, Indians, A's and White Sox are the only teams which have broken with that trend in good, established looks. The Orioles have had birds on their caps for pretty much their entire existence. They don't need a B cap now.

I'd add the Blue Jays to that list.

Yeah, I forgot about them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not a big fan of an Orioles "B" cap. Their "O's" cap was lame enough, let's not further ruin their identity with more non-bird caps. The only change the O's need to make to their road look is to bring back their previous script that actually matched the home script.

mo8fjB8.png

No the previous one was way too extreme with the larger to smaller skewing. The current one is best, just needs to be de-italicized some.

Funny, I didn't even notice they changed the Baltimore script. The large-to-small problem can be easily fixed with the Skew tool in Photoshop; one little adjustment and it's perfectly fine.

I'd prefer a white outline on the orange B, and white outlines on everything whenever it's orange on black or vice-versa. It looks too batting practice to me.

From the article: "In case you forgot, the angry bird made it’s return last season partially due to Buck showing it off.

Angry bird? haha! I don't think anyone thinks the cartoon bird on the hat is angry. The only angry bird I've seen is the one graphic where it's batting.

2rgavrd1qgkfw74ji5se5c1yk.gif

They're talking about this one, which isn't on any uniform, it's just on various objects in and around the stadium mostly.

I don't think they need a "B" hat. They've only ever had one, and it stunk. Otherwise it's always been a bird of some sort. I think their primary caps should have a bird of some sort on it. If you want a letter for an alternate, flip the apostrophe on the O's cap around and leave it at that.

And ditch the orange front panel BP cap or whatever it is. Yuck. (I'd also willingly dump the white panel caps for all black crowns with an orange bill.)

And while we're on the topic, the angry bird (if they keep it around) and the swingin' bird (which is everywhere, including in my signature) should get a little refresh to make them match the new caps a little better.

Grunge-Logos.png

I can't wait for the classic bird to make a comeback. The cartoon just reeks of minor league/70's nostalgia and always looks stale. Move the cartoon bird to an alt and stop meddling with what could be a classic and timeless look.

So, you all want the O's to add to or change the perfection that was just voted by fans as the best in the Majors?

That was a load of BS. Great set, but NOT the best in baseball. Probably no one outside of Baltimore really cared what espn's opinion was and thus why they were the only ones to vote.

So, you all want the O's to add to or change the perfection that was just voted by fans as the best in the Majors?

White panels have no place in the modern majors, and their alternates look flimsy, so I guess I do! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks to Uni Watch detective work, we now know that logo comes from the Orioles' batting helmets in 1955.

1woodling1955.jpg

I had never seen those before.

The Orioles do have great uniforms outside of their caps. I like one of the realistic bird caps because it's historical, looks good, and is a nice change of pace from all the monogrammed caps. The cursive B looks nice, too though.

As for the fan vote, meh. I'm sorry. I'm a snob. I admit it. But I don't care what the general public things of design, they're probably wrong. And yes, I know the ultimate goal is to appeal to them. I see the logic or the faulty logic depending on the viewpoint. But I just don't care. People have proven to be overwhelmingly dumb in issues of aesthetics.

But like I said, the Orioles have an almost great set. And I'm not upset the Cardinals lost because if you've paid attention to me, I think they botched their set. It no longer deserves status as the best. It's just one of the best now.

Speaking of the Cardinals, I'm used to the red hats on the road by now. I still very much prefer the navy. But I don't mind the red (I really never did outside of preferring the navy). So let's just ditch the navy then. Keep it simple, please.

IVj7Mkc.jpg

I'm assuming this is the Twins BP cap? You can see it suffers from the same issue as the Cardinals BP cap. A nice historical look (although I agree with admiral that the white panel doesn't belong in a full-time MLB set) is ruined by extra bad embroidery.

I say extra bad because I know some of you dislike the normal raised embroidery New Era uses (I don't, at least on most.) But to raise the outline (the least important part of logo) and thus recede the primary shapes (the most important part of a logo) absolutely destroys the integrity of the shapes.

Archived