2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keeee-ripes.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

There was this old ass video game I played, from 1997, called POD, and the "villain", if you will, was the aptly-named substance that engulfed and, ultimately, destroyed the planet. I can't find any good internet screenshots right now and I haven't played the game since 2009, but the POD was this substance, mostly green, with a few other speckles of color (black, gray, yellow) that ultimately made for an unpleasant combination that was rather appropriate for what it represented.

Those damned camo jerseys above just remind me of the game. It's purpose of honouring the military falls completely flat.

spacer.png

Been talked about before, but do the Rangers not know how bad their home whites look with red accessories?

We know, but the players don't care.

How do you know?

Because the players have a say in what they wear and if they don't like a certain combo, they don't have to wear it.

As an O's fan, I like everything about their set. I'm 22, so it's not like I have sort of connection to any old set of theirs like the white panel hats of old. However, I like the modern touch of history.

The white panel home hat, which is a tribute to the Oriolesoif old. It's unique to the league, as nobody else wears it. Besides those on these boards, I haven't heard one person say they disliked it, and I'm in Ohio. In fact, I get compliments on it when I wesr it bc people like it so much.

The road cap is the home hat minus the white, which is how it should be with no white on the road jerseys.

The alternate cap's only problem is the apostrophe is upside down. The "O's" is a nice change up, and is worn only with the black jersey on Friday nights. It has no white on it, just like the jersey (so it can be worn with both home and road pants).

The jerseys are excellent. Save from the patch honoring Earl Weaver, everything looks great. I really liked the Camden Yards patch last year bc it balanced the Crest patch on the other side.

Not sure why there are so many gripes with this set. They rebranded better than any team has done in recent memory, yet it's picked apart like crazy, when, hell, they could have been rebranded and end up taking a million steps backwards and looked like the Marlins.

"It could have been worse" does not mean that it's good.

The Baltimore script is still bad, though less bad after last year's tweaks. It really needs a more organic feel to it, like the home script has. I agree with previous comments that the alternate uniforms with no outline look like BP jerseys. The re-drawn cartoon bird lost some of the character of the original - I'm still not sure how they managed to butcher his cap. I really think they'd look better with black crowned caps on both home or road, but if fans like the white, then so be it. It looks like a softball cap to me though.

The Orioles set is far from the worst in the league, but is firmly middle-of-the-pack - there's nothing glaringly horrible about it, but there's also nothing overly remarkable about it either. It's not "clean" or consistent enough to be in that top tier, but it's not littered with a million alts or trendy design or any of the other crap that you see in the bottom tier.

Getting rid of the "O's" cap would help.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

No the previous one was way too extreme with the larger to smaller skewing. The current one is best, just needs to be de-italicized some.

The home script is skewed at an extreme angle too, so in that respect, the old road script matched better.

The old script also looked better on the field - large and clear.

hmOUXDO.png

The new one looks small and nondescript.

3mehTVY.png

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Thanks to Uni Watch detective work, we now know that logo comes from the Orioles' batting helmets in 1955.

1woodling1955.jpg

I had never seen those before.

Very interesting. This is certainly news to me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

As for the fan vote, meh. I'm sorry. I'm a snob. I admit it. But I don't care what the general public things of design, they're probably wrong. And yes, I know the ultimate goal is to appeal to them. I see the logic or the faulty logic depending on the viewpoint. But I just don't care. People have proven to be overwhelmingly dumb in issues of aesthetics.

I think that's a little unfair. Sure, some folks don't recognize solid design. But taste in design is a very individual, opinion-based thing. People have proven to be overwhelmingly opinionated regarding aesthetics. So any "consensus" that the general public would come to would be at best a mediocre to solid, unoffensive but unremarkable uniform. And that's the Orioles uniforms are: solid but not special. They're not the greatest uniform ever worn in the Majors, but at the same time, they're not at all offensively bad.

No. The O's cap should be worn more often than it already is. The cartoon bird is nice, but I don't like him as a primary cap.

Fix the apostrophe or throw it out.

No. The O's cap should be worn more often than it already is. The cartoon bird is nice, but I don't like him as a primary cap.

Fix the apostrophe or throw it out.

Done.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

j0ckFEM.jpg

I think this was a concept here once that I liked and saved. This would look much better to me.

I like that except for the tail on the "B". I think the tip should be flat instead of rounded, like the "O" on the home word mark. My summary of desired O's changes:

No white panel.

Flip O's apostrophe.

Match home and road word mark angles.

Ditch orange panel cap.

White outline on black jersey.

Swinging bird shoulder patch.

After being mostly against the cartoon bird, now I'd say I'm resigned-to-ambivalent. If they stick with it, the other cartoon birds should at least be in the same style rather than a mashup of eras.

I'm against a gothic "B" cap, it doesn't fit anything else in the current identity. I like my cap logos (when they're letters) to match my word marks. Personally, I think the "O's" cap is great, except for the inverted apostrophe.

Grunge-Logos.png

Archived