2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger Goodell seems like the kind of guy who finds a mouse in his house and then decides the best solution is just to burn the house to the ground.

Talk about overkill, geez. Helmet padding is what gets "broken in" not the helmet itself. You can easily transfer padding between helmets, in most cases it just snaps right in.

Roger Goodell seems like the kind of guy who finds a mouse in his house and then decides the best solution is just to burn the house to the ground.

Talk about overkill, geez. Helmet padding is what gets "broken in" not the helmet itself. You can easily transfer padding between helmets, in most cases it just snaps right in.

Mouse?

Junior-Seau-e1359042770116.jpg

You clearly don't understand how big business works. This was not his idea. It's a PR stunt that was vetted through their General Counsel.

Also remember that Goodell is an employee of the League and his boss is the 32 owners. Goodell is not Vince McMahon pulling the strings from behind the scenes to make J6P's NFL life miserable.

This rule is garbage. Bills weren't using the same helmet. Remember, the current Bills helmet has an expanding helmet strop from front to back. The Bears had a grey facemask too.

The Bills took off their decals (which includes the stripes). The Bears took off their decals and changed their facemasks.

...And just on que, the bergan clown car rolls into the station.

No need to be an ass about it.

Even if the Bears and Bills evaded this "rule," it still doesn't make it right. There hasn't been a problem with wearing throwbacks since the 90's, and now the NFL wants to put a stop to it for some reason? Get out of here. This along with the apparent Anti-Celebration stance they're taking, and the Pro Bowl changes has me questioning just what the hell the NFL will be like in 5-10 years.

You are lucky that you weren't an NFL fan in the 40's otherwise scary changes to the game like the "forward pass" would have really freaked you out. They should probably move the goal posts back into the middle of the end zone and reinstitute the flying wedge as well.

This rule makes absolutely no sense. What exactly is the problem with wearing a throwback helmet when it's exactly the same technology? Wouldn't it actually be safer not to use the same shells all year because then they're not exposed to as much wear and tear?

The justification I have read is that the helmets have to be "broken in," and the players start breaking in their helmets in the spring, then wear them through training camp before ever getting to a game. We have seen instances of players wearing throwback helmets in practice a few weeks before a throwback game so they could break them in before the game. But what exactly is broken in? They aren't actually reshaping the shell. All that would be broken in would be the padding. So why don't they just take the "broken in" padding out of the normal helmets and put them in the throwback ones?

SO if a player is traded or dropped and signed elsewhere, he must continue to use his "broken in" helmet from the old team for the remainder of the year? Rules are rules...he might end up a vegetable with a different helmet!

87Redskins.png

Mouse?

Well put.

didnt know where to put this so ill put it here...has any one seen this on the nfl website http://www.nfl.com/2020

What did I just watch?

Gay propaganda apparently. Seriously, what was that?

Really? You watched a 2 or 3 minute promo video made by the league to sell itself, and what you took away from it was "gay propaganda"?

That would be hilarious if it wasn't so dumb.

Is there evidence that wearing a different helmet for one game in a season has caused additional concussions?

I know it's probably just a liability thing. The more helmets you wear the more helmets insurance has to cover or something like that.

But I can't help but think of Oregon and every other college team wearing multiple helmets. This could be the start of the end of that trend.

If it means that it happens next year, that means we won't see some cool looking alternate helmets. If it means they want Oregon to wear their green lids all year, I'm cool with that.

Mouse?

The word you're thinking of is mousse.

Mouse?

Sorry I wasnt minimizing the concussion issue by calling it a "mouse," wasnt really a size reference as it's more a figure of speech used to describe a general problem. Let's just call it an unrelated problem that aint getting solved by changing the color of the protective head gear.

This rule makes absolutely no sense. What exactly is the problem with wearing a throwback helmet when it's exactly the same technology? Wouldn't it actually be safer not to use the same shells all year because then they're not exposed to as much wear and tear?

The justification I have read is that the helmets have to be "broken in," and the players start breaking in their helmets in the spring, then wear them through training camp before ever getting to a game. We have seen instances of players wearing throwback helmets in practice a few weeks before a throwback game so they could break them in before the game. But what exactly is broken in? They aren't actually reshaping the shell. All that would be broken in would be the padding. So why don't they just take the "broken in" padding out of the normal helmets and put them in the throwback ones?

SO if a player is traded or dropped and signed elsewhere, he must continue to use his "broken in" helmet from the old team for the remainder of the year? Rules are rules...he might end up a vegetable with a different helmet!

Wow that's an absolutely perfect point.

And like I said earlier, I'm almost certain the helmets get taken apart every week to be polished/reconditioned/etc.

Not only that but some players wear different helmets throughout the year.

Somebody on this board must know whether they could take the regular helmets, repaint and decal them as throwbacks, then return them to "normal" for the following game. Can it be that hard? I remember reading about players who took their college helmets to the pros or their pro helmets from one team to another so obviously it can be done.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Mouse?

Sorry I wasnt minimizing the concussion issue by calling it a "mouse," wasnt really a size reference as it's more a figure of speech used to describe a general problem. Let's just call it an unrelated problem that aint getting solved by changing the color of the protective head gear.

Sure you were. You described the commissioner as somebody who would wildly overreact to a very minor problem, in the context of this conversation.

We're just pointing out that CTE isn't a minor problem for the NFL - it's an existential crisis that will require drastic steps to address.

So, Goth, what's your answer? What are these "drastic steps"? I have an idea that what's left over won't look much like the league as we know it.

What's interesting is that far more careers and seasons end with knee injuries, Achilles and other muscle tears etc. relative to concussions. Lots of older retired players have more or other problems besides their heads; they can barely walk. What's the answer? I'm not being flip, I really don't know.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I've been an advocate for years of the "no helmets" concept. The more like rugby we make it, the better for the sport.

Though I have no idea how the Cleveland Browns will react to that change. Lol.

Mouse?

I find it hard to believe that not wearing throwback helmets would have prolonged Seau's life.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived